Video: Woman mistakes brake for accelerator and plows into front of gold shop injuring two

webfact

2pm2.jpg

CCTV screenshot

Kanchanadit police in Surat Thani, southern Thailand, were called after a Thai female driver put her foot down on the accelerator when she meant the brake. 

CCTV footage at 4.25 pm Thursday from an area outside the Kanchanadit market showed a Honda City car plow into the Pa Siri gold shop next to Krung Thai bank.

The driver gets out amid much screaming and shattering of glass. 

The front of the gold shop was badly damaged as the car drove in at speed.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The driver and shop owner were both injured though the car driver declined hospital treatment for a head injury saying she'll go later.

Shop owner 52 year old Kornrat Somsuk had a hand injury.

The driver of the car was given the assumed name of Nam by Thai Rath. She said she mixed up the brake and the accelerator. 

She was charged with negligent driving causing damage.

The damage will be taken care of by insurance, said the media. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Why is this news????

I see this every Saturday!    Then the lady sues the gold shop because her car is scratched.  Bank repos the car, expensive to fix the gold shop.  Fixed by Friday!

Then Saturday comes and it happens again and again and again.    

It's a very common mistake.   muscle memory is a scam.   If you hit the accelerator 10 times, you win the lottery! 

• Confused 1

If this happened in the west, the first thought in everyone's mind would be a robbery in progress. Ramming or crashing a car into a jewellery shop is an established MO of criminals. 

Luckily nobody made premature assumptions by shooting or hacking her to bits before asking questions. 

5 hours ago, Will B Good said:

It would be of interest to know for how long she has been driving.

As I have mentioned on here before, my wife first drove a car on a Monday and 'passed' her driving test on the Tuesday.

Mine took a little longer than that. Started lessons on Monday, passed her test on Thursday and received her license on Friday. A few months later, whilst driving in through the gate, she got the same two pedals confused and rammed the car into a wall.

She hasn't driven since thank goodness. I'm not knocking Thai women drivers by the way. My former Indian wife was just as useless at driving.

I sure know how to pick 'em!

• Haha 1

The poor control of vehicles and accidents due to ‘brake / accelerator’ pedal confusion are alarmingly common here. 

Why? - because no one is taught how to drive a car. 

People are taught by their spouse, friend or family member and if they were never taught themselves they are simply passing along bad advice. 

In these cases people are taught left foot for brake, right foot for accelerator. 

Then, when something happens and they panic they plant both feet down.

Efforts ‘could be made’ to educate people on a few simple issues: 

A couple of key pointers on TV adverts between soaps at prime time.

- Wear helmets on motorcycles

- Use seatbelts

- Put kids in car seats

- Accelerator / brake use (right foot only).

- Stopping at pedestrian crossings

- Stopping at amber lights (and red of course)

- Not overtaking on a blind bend

- Drink driving risks

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Geez, this may sound sexist...

But when 'someone' touches a pedal wanting to brake, and a car accelerates instead, would not this 'someone' very quickly move that foot away??

No - they press harder trying to get the brakes to work...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, mrfill said:

No - they press harder trying to get the brakes to work...

Yep... exactly this.

IF ever we’ve been in the situation at traffic lights etc when the car next to us starts rolling backwards... its a strange sensation for second, for split second we feel as though we are rolling forwards... we apply extra pedal on the brake pedal out of instinct.

This is what happens here.... They are confused, applying pressure to the wrong pedal, and apply ‘harder’....  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wombat said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

people are taught left foot for brake, right foot for accelerator. 

thats scary

Indeed - obviously not everyone....   but I imagine there are quite a number of drivers out there using left foot for brake, right foot for accelerator....   when the untrained / inexperienced panic, this is the result. 

Or, as we have often seen (videos on this forum), someone reverses through the wall off a 5 story tall car-park !!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2