Does the labor dept care if Im late to renew my WP?

We were planning on going away right around the time of my WP renewal. Also Im awaiting for my replacement passport from the British consulate. 

I therefore wanted to know if its an issue to submit all documents a week or 2 after the expiry date of my current WP?

Or should I just submit all docs to them before I go away using the old passport. Maybe they will not know or care if I later have a new replacement passport with a new PP number

thanks

4 hours ago, jack71 said:

Or should I just submit all docs to them before I go away using the old passport.

This.

The Ministry of Labour may accept a late submission, but again they might not. Nobody can tell until you try.

Do you really want to put yourself in a position where your work permit can be declined, and therefore your extension of stay can be put in jeopardy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, blackcab said:

Do you really want to put yourself in a position where your work permit can be declined, and therefore your extension of stay can be put in jeopardy?

I dont understand how it can be put in jeopardy. My ext of stay is based on marriage. Nothing to do with the WP

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jack71 said:

I dont understand how it can be put in jeopardy. My ext of stay is based on marriage. Nothing to do with the WP

I think it would have been prudent for you to mention this fact in your first post. I guess others, like I, presumed your work permit was connected to you visa dates.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

My apologies, I assumed you had a Non B.

The worst that can happen then is you have to submit a new application instead of a renewal. If you're ok with that then no rush at all.

Ok thanks. 

Actually I visited them a month ago and said I wanted to get a renewal. They gave me a list of requirements thats exactly the same as when I first got the WP. I think its ridiculous that one has to submit ALL the same docs.  

On 4/16/2022 at 5:44 PM, blackcab said:

This.

The Ministry of Labour may accept a late submission, but again they might not. Nobody can tell until you try.

From above:

"Do you really want to put yourself in a position where your work permit can be declined, and therefore your extension of stay can be put in jeopardy?"

The words in jeoprdy could be appropriate, however it can /has been even more serious.

I'm aware of a professor (professor not really the issue, could be any WP holder, any profession/any industry) who was given the wrong WP renewal documents and given such documents on the morning of the final day of his current WP. 

He took all of the documents to the WP office in Din Daeng quickly and got there just before lunch on the last day.

WP officer called the supervisor who came and was in instant panic. Supervisor called the admin. lady at the uni and berated her for being so late to produce the documents and for (again) giving the farang the wrong documents.

Labour Dept., guy gave her until 3.00 pm to get the correct documents to the WP office, same day.

Uni admin. lady ignored the above and was about to go home when the dean came to her desk and demanded to know what was hppening and said "i've just been informed by the Labour senior guy that tomorrow morning the professor will be here without any form of visa and that's absolutely not acceptable".

Dean instructed her to not go home and to prepare the correct documents, to scan them and send them to the Labour dept WP snr officer "within the next 10 minutes".  Dean also instructed the uni HR mngr to get involved and monitor the WP lady's work and step in if the documents weren't being prepared quickly. etc.

Dean also instructed the HR lady to have the WP lady dismissed immediately after the WP at issue was actually renewed. And start a search for a new Wp lady. Luckily there was an experienced person already on staff and she was appointed, to start work in her new position one day before the dismissed lady actually finished work. 

Dean was asked by the WP snr to call a higher snr. officer at the labour ministry to request that they authorize the WP officer and Snr., and cashier to work late until all completed that day (deadline date for renewal). This happened and the professor had made an appointment with an I.. officer (I don't know where) to come late to get his visa renewed.

Uni Dean also asked the WP snr., if he would please visit the uni a few days later to give a talk (in Thai and English) to the NEW WP officer (old one now dismissed and gone), all the admin., staff and the professsors not in class rooms to explain the correct/most timely procedures.

This discussion happened (I was there) The WP snr., guy gave a comprehensive and focused explanation of the renewal philosophy, regulations and the documents and traps to avoid.

He also explained that he has great concerns about late renewal causing serious visa poblems and shared that on previous occasions the Immigration snrs. had asked him to report late renewals and instances where wrong WP renewal documents has been lodged and had caused further delays.

WP Snr shared that he had ignored these requests from immigration but had great concerns about repurcussions.

WP Snr them offered the dean (openly at this discussion) that the new WP lady scan and send the WP renewals for the next 3 months so that he or one of the very experienced WP officers could scan the documents and quickly give the uni WP lady a thumbs up or quickly explain what was wrong with the renewal documents.

Luckily the new WP lady was quite experienced and all renewlas for the next 3 months were correct.

Labour Dep., WP Snr left the meeeting but very quickly one of the farang professsors asked if the dean and all the the admin and WP lady could please stay for another 10 minutes. Several farang professors explained how they had been exposed previously to late WP renewals ( and had experienced very poor/uncooperative attitudes from the uni admin., staff (which shocked the dean) and when completed (late) they had taken all their documents to immigration and were subjected to serious lectures about late renewal of visa, some even threatened with visa cancellation which would mean leaving the country same day, then a long process to get the documents prepared to re-enter the country and get a new visa (case by case, dependant on the types of visa held by the professsor).

Dean then instructed the HR mngr and new WP lady to immediately draw up a process (and present it to him within 3 days for his approval, and to ensure that the whole admin., staff and all professors were given a copy of the procedures and had the same document sent to their personal e.mail addresses), to ensure nothing like this ever happened again.

Dean also spoke to the professors present (professors only) and asked them to ensure they appraoched the HR mngr and the WP officer with enought time to ensure the whole process worked smoothly.  From that day the Dean always ensured at least once a week he came to the professors lounge to have some informal discussion and to ensure all personal documentation (WP, visa, etc.), and all teaching resources were satisfactory and timely. 

• Thanks 1

Your place of employment/employer should be handling all of the paperwork for your work permit.  Let them deal with it.  All you have to do is show up at the WP office and someone from your workplace would generally accompany you.

37 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Your place of employment/employer should be handling all of the paperwork for your work permit.  Let them deal with it.  All you have to do is show up at the WP office and someone from your workplace would generally accompany you.

That's of course true but plenty of Work Permit holders are left to do it themselves. This could be for several reasons:

- Company only has 1 employee with a WP and therefore there's very little knowledge of the subject, how to gain/renew etc.

- Working as a management consultant I've come across several farang WP holders who are ignored by the Thai staff and the HR staff just ignore their requests for help including getting and renewing a WP and the farang has little choice but to take care of all of this themselves and mostly at their own cost. 

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

From above:

"Do you really want to put yourself in a position where your work permit can be declined, and therefore your extension of stay can be put in jeopardy?"

The words in jeoprdy could be appropriate, however it can /has been even more serious.

I'm aware of a professor (professor not really the issue, could be any WP holder, any profession/any industry) who was given the wrong WP renewal documents and given such documents on the morning of the final day of his current WP. 

He took all of the documents to the WP office in Din Daeng quickly and got there just before lunch on the last day.

WP officer called the supervisor who came and was in instant panic. Supervisor called the admin. lady at the uni and berated her for being so late to produce the documents and for (again) giving the farang the wrong documents.

Labour Dept., guy gave her until 3.00 pm to get the correct documents to the WP office, same day.

Uni admin. lady ignored the above and was about to go home when the dean came to her desk and demanded to know what was hppening and said "i've just been informed by the Labour senior guy that tomorrow morning the professor will be here without any form of visa and that's absolutely not acceptable".

Dean instructed her to not go home and to prepare the correct documents, to scan them and send them to the Labour dept WP snr officer "within the next 10 minutes".  Dean also instructed the uni HR mngr to get involved and monitor the WP lady's work and step in if the documents weren't being prepared quickly. etc.

Dean also instructed the HR lady to have the WP lady dismissed immediately after the WP at issue was actually renewed. And start a search for a new Wp lady. Luckily there was an experienced person already on staff and she was appointed, to start work in her new position one day before the dismissed lady actually finished work. 

Dean was asked by the WP snr to call a higher snr. officer at the labour ministry to request that they authorize the WP officer and Snr., and cashier to work late until all completed that day (deadline date for renewal). This happened and the professor had made an appointment with an I.. officer (I don't know where) to come late to get his visa renewed.

Uni Dean also asked the WP snr., if he would please visit the uni a few days later to give a talk (in Thai and English) to the NEW WP officer (old one now dismissed and gone), all the admin., staff and the professsors not in class rooms to explain the correct/most timely procedures.

This discussion happened (I was there) The WP snr., guy gave a comprehensive and focused explanation of the renewal philosophy, regulations and the documents and traps to avoid.

He also explained that he has great concerns about late renewal causing serious visa poblems and shared that on previous occasions the Immigration snrs. had asked him to report late renewals and instances where wrong WP renewal documents has been lodged and had caused further delays.

WP Snr shared that he had ignored these requests from immigration but had great concerns about repurcussions.

WP Snr them offered the dean (openly at this discussion) that the new WP lady scan and send the WP renewals for the next 3 months so that he or one of the very experienced WP officers could scan the documents and quickly give the uni WP lady a thumbs up or quickly explain what was wrong with the renewal documents.

Luckily the new WP lady was quite experienced and all renewlas for the next 3 months were correct.

Labour Dep., WP Snr left the meeeting but very quickly one of the farang professsors asked if the dean and all the the admin and WP lady could please stay for another 10 minutes. Several farang professors explained how they had been exposed previously to late WP renewals ( and had experienced very poor/uncooperative attitudes from the uni admin., staff (which shocked the dean) and when completed (late) they had taken all their documents to immigration and were subjected to serious lectures about late renewal of visa, some even threatened with visa cancellation which would mean leaving the country same day, then a long process to get the documents prepared to re-enter the country and get a new visa (case by case, dependant on the types of visa held by the professsor).

Dean then instructed the HR mngr and new WP lady to immediately draw up a process (and present it to him within 3 days for his approval, and to ensure that the whole admin., staff and all professors were given a copy of the procedures and had the same document sent to their personal e.mail addresses), to ensure nothing like this ever happened again.

Dean also spoke to the professors present (professors only) and asked them to ensure they appraoched the HR mngr and the WP officer with enought time to ensure the whole process worked smoothly.  From that day the Dean always ensured at least once a week he came to the professors lounge to have some informal discussion and to ensure all personal documentation (WP, visa, etc.), and all teaching resources were satisfactory and timely. 

That is one hell of a long story pal. Maybe you could have just wrote 3 to 4 lines instead next time. 

I intend to apply for my ext of stay before going for the renewal of the Wp. They will give me a 1 month under consideration stamp. Whatever happens with my WP has absolutely NO impact on my ext of stay. They are not linked. 2 different govt departments. I think the labor dept dont care if I submit after my expiry date either. Will ask them and let you know

1 hour ago, CM Dad said:

My wife and I have a small business. Therefore I do it all myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jack71 said:

My wife and I have a small business. Therefore I do it all myself. 

And the reality is that both the WP application and renewl documents are not complex/not difficult to understand and don't take much time to complete. Also, the official company documents needed (to accompany the WP application) are basic registration etc., documents, which are readily available in the company records and not condifential.