125cc motorbike

IF you have a Motorcycle Licence from your home country (*which is in English) that will suffice. 

You can also use that to gain a Thai Licence and then avoid potential hassles. 

IF not, you can either ‘take your chance’ or do the tests etc.

IF all you want to do is ride off-road, then you should be fine without a licence. 

IF doing a ‘tour’ the company may want to see a licence - Contact them and see what they say. 

IF can’t easily get a Thai licence, the tour company may be able to help (fast track).

37 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Which is funny cause millions hire scooters with none.

If you are smart, you don't drive without a valid license in Thailand. 

An valid international driving license for motorbike, valid 3 months from arrival, and after that you need to get an Thai license for motorbike.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hummin said:

If you are smart, you don't drive without a valid license in Thailand. 

An valid international driving license for motorbike, valid 3 months from arrival, and after that you need to get an Thai license for motorbike.

In theory you are right. But in real life: Who cares?

If the police stops riders and they don't have a license it cost often 100B without receipt.

And even if you pay 400B at the station I don't think the police insist that you have to show them that you have a license. TiT!

P.S.: I never had an accident and I don't know how much they care in that situation. 

• Confused 1

Ok thanks. I was thinking of a Siem Reap dirt bike trip 125cc. Be enough for me.

Farang mb licenses getting harder to get. You have to hold restricted 12 mths before unrestricted. Red tape.

If I dont need one good.  Im not an idiot and ride safe. Rode bikes on farms.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Or pay the fine when police stop you, maybe 400 baht unless it's gone down

Some years back in pre pandemic Phuket, I ran into a mb license road check 15-20 riders in line, officer had his Fine processing desk set up in a field..... 500 baht for not providing a license adds up - good pay day.  Decided to get one after some time.........

17 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Some years back in pre pandemic Phuket, I ran into a mb license road check 15-20 riders in line, officer had his Fine processing desk set up in a field..... 500 baht for not providing a license adds up - good pay day.  Decided to get one after some time.........

These check-points are a mild irritation to an outright annoyance...  

The helmet ones I get... the licence once... well, whats the difference between a rider with and without a licence? neither has gone through any formal training (of any recognisable standard).

So... they’re just money makers and nothing else... I’ve heard a story ( a friend ) and it went something like this... 

- Licence?..... Have...  erm.. Ok, what about...

- Bike Taxed?... Yes....Ok... what about...

- Green Book?.... Yes, I have Photocopy... oh, need real copy... 

- Green Book?, Ok, my real copy is in my bag, here...  Ok, what about...

- Pillion foot-pegs, are they out ?...,oh they’re in.

- Tint on your helmet Visor? oh.. no visor.

- OK... exhaust is too loud !!! - the bike is not on !!

- Turn on the bike... exhaust is too loud, no its not, its an OEM exhaust. 

- exhaust too loud, you pay fine now !!...

This is of course an exaggerate example...  by the time you’ve shown licence and tax they’ve usually given up... but there are stories of all the other stunts being pulled to secure a fine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

These check-points are a mild irritation to an outright annoyance...  

The helmet ones I get... the licence once... well, whats the difference between a rider with and without a licence? neither has gone through any formal training (of any recognisable standard).

So... they’re just money makers and nothing else... I’ve heard a story ( a friend ) and it went something like this... 

- Licence?..... Have...  erm.. Ok, what about...

- Bike Taxed?... Yes....Ok... what about...

- Green Book?.... Yes, I have Photocopy... oh, need real copy... 

- Green Book?, Ok, my real copy is in my bag, here...  Ok, what about...

- Pillion foot-pegs, are they out ?...,oh they’re in.

- Tint on your helmet Visor? oh.. no visor.

- OK... exhaust is too loud !!! - the bike is not on !!

- Turn on the bike... exhaust is too loud, no its not, its an OEM exhaust. 

- exhaust too loud, you pay fine now !!...

This is of course an exaggerate example...  by the time you’ve shown licence and tax they’ve usually given up... but there are stories of all the other stunts being pulled to secure a fine.

And on another motorbike road check, I pulled out my Thai car DL gave it to the officer and he waved me through lol my lucky day........