Suzuki Ciaz cvt sportmode gear problems?

sanook 1

8 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

There is no standard way in which 'Sport' mode is implemented by the different gearbox manufacturers. For example, some just raise the shift point rpm by about 30% so that the engine revs a bit higher in each gear.

In the case of the Jatco CVT7 the 'S' mode causes the transmission controller to keep the engine rpm near to maximum power (high rpm).  If you floor the throttle the engine will rev high and stay there as the car speeds up - for fastest acceleration.  S mode on this gearbox is not meant for cruising, its for overtaking and driving in hill country. The S mode is a function of the software programmed into the gearbox's electronic 'brain' (TCM - transmission control module). There are no mechanical components in the gearbox that are specifically for the S mode. In other words if the gearbox is shifting correctly in D mode, and not making a whining noise or juddering, then you can be reassured that it is mechanically sound.

If you're buying a used car its always well worth taking it to the franchised dealer to have fault codes read.  First get any (potentially misleading) historical codes cleared. Take the car for a good drive and then return to the dealer to have any new codes read. I would guess 1000-1500THB for this.

Be aware that on modern cars battery condition is critical. A weak battery can cause all sorts of strange problems. If in any doubt then renew it.

All good advices, thank you so much sir. Much apprechiated. 

The sport mode is just for overtaking at lower speeds. Not for highway cruising. My wife has a swift with the cvt. I think I may have used sport mode once or twice, and never at high speeds. I don' think there is anything wrong with your car. It's just designed this way. Petrol consumption is much higher in sport mode. 

If you want a fast car at higher speeds consider the honda city turbo. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

The sport mode is just for overtaking at lower speeds. Not for highway cruising. My wife has a swift with the cvt. I think I may have used sport mode once or twice, and never at high speeds. I don' think there is anything wrong with your car. It's just designed this way. Petrol consumption is much higher in sport mode. 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

I use sports mode if I am at the stop light drags, or I am having a bit of street fun, the CVT also has a kick down for overtaking if one needs a much higher RPM...