Thailand reports 28 deaths in total from 241 road accidents on the sixth day of the “seven dangerous days” of Songkran period

webfact

image_big_60785041c7dd3-696x413.jpg

PHOTO: Thai Post

By Nop Meechukhun

National – Road Safety Thailand from the Thai Ministry of the Interior reported a total of 241 road accidents with 28 deaths and 246 injuries on the sixth day of the “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday period, on April 16th.

According to the reports, the most common causes of road accidents were over-speeding with 41.49 percent of total accidents, followed by drunk driving with 25.31 percent and poor vision with 18.26 percent.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The majority of 84.34 percent of accidents significantly involved motorcycles. Most of the accidents occurred on straight routes, accounting for 80.91 percent of total accidents. About 38.59 percent of them were recorded on national highways while 38.17 percent were in community villages.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/17/thailand-reports-28-deaths-in-total-from-241-road-accidents-on-the-sixth-day-of-the-seven-dangerous-days-of-songkran-period/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-04-18

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Covid cases unreliable, the new reporting of the dangerous days should be reliable?? No totals, no provincial updates as usual... But probably the measures done this year to prevent will be succesful... Nobody knows because the reports are not as other years

Edited by ikke1959
  • Like 2

Well my Mrs made it back safely from Korat yesterday, much to my relief. She said no accidents seen on the outward journey, and 2 skids off the road on the way back....a sprinkling of rain after a few hot dry days make for slippery conditions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

National – Road Safety Thailand from the Thai Ministry of the Interior reported a total of 241 road accidents with 28 deaths and 246 injuries on the sixth day of the “seven dangerous days” of the Songkran holiday period, on April 16th.

Were they expecting anything different?

Very surprised they don't have yesterday's figures as the 7th day ended at midnight last night. Everywhere else in the world, well the western countries tally and collect these numbers by early am to be published with their stats.

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Everywhere else in the world, well the western countries tally and collect these numbers by early am to be published with their stats.

Except the UK who now take  the weekends off with Covid numbers!

When I see stats to the hundredths........no way I'm going to believe that.

8%.... oh no!   8.5%...... oh no..................   8.13%

lol

An ENTIRE week (plus one day in most places, extra day of celebrating) where you are told you can die on the road.   not many countries have that kind of fun holiday.  

Trust me, these are readings from a province or two; the daily average without booze, silly days etc. is in the 60s so 28 ........ But like anything else, it is up to you to trust the information ........... or not! 

Does it matter? No. Provided the figure is accurate, still 28 people are not getting up this morning, hundreds of family members and friends grief and thousands are in one or the other way affected (work, insurances etc.). 

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

These 7 dangerous days are nonsense, the average figure of deaths is 60 per day for the whole of 2016, so day 6 at 28 deaths is half the annualised average.  It's the same every year, lies, damned lies and statistics.

I think more people travel at the start and end of the holiday period.... but trust me, it gets a bit dangerous in Songkran and New Year.

I have been driving between Bangkok and Khao Kho over the last four years as well as around Khao Kho/Phetchabun and Lomsak. We are building a house in Khao Kho and about to buy an Isuzu DMAX Vcross 4x4 to get around the mud in KK

The stupidity I have seen is mind numbing with cars racing to overtake me while I sit on 110 Km per hour in the middle lane - to avoid trucks and bikes of course

They came behind at 130-140+, zoom left and try to zoom right in front often when there is no gap and just before a traffic light.

This insanely urgent behaviour is I am sure a cause of many straight road accidents.

Over-speeding (OMG) is not really the cause.

It's stupid agressive behaviour causing cars to to behave erratically.

BTW I say cars not people because with 70/80% window tints it is impossible to see if anybody is at the wheel!

Edited by chricha
  • Like 2

Its not a time to drive anywhere in LOS that's for sure. Not that the rest of the year is much better.

It's a shame but to drive any appreciable distance on Thai roads brings an accelerated risk of injury or death, especially cross country which is a darn shame as theres so much beauty and culture to appreciate.

It's such an avoidable shame (albeit it would take decades to change) i.e. the culture of drunk driving, next to zero random roadside breathalyser stations, poor driving skills, no deterrence to speeding e.g. national system of signed permanent radar in black-spots - national random mobile radar stations, heavier enforced fines, national sequential periodic media education, unregulated unroadworthy overloaded and poorly maintained bulk haulage vehicles, micro-sleeping due to fatigue brought on by economic pressure to deliver and get back on the road, and terrible road quality.

Interesting to note the gun death rate in the US is comparable to the horrific road death toll here for the same first quarter of 2022. 

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gold Star said:

If these numbers are true, 'Awesome job Thailand!'

Nice to see such a fantastic improvement. 

I just hope they didn't change the reporting criteria in stupid ways like only to include those fatalities that died on impact.

changed it to died before impact

Although not making very good reading, these figures appear to be a vast improvement on the usual daily figures:- 

"Thailand’s roads are the deadliest in Southeast Asia and among the worst in the world, according to the World Health Organisation. About 20,000 people die in road accidents each year, or about 56 deaths a day."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

25% from DUI that is insanely high.

So, they want to add to it by legalizing weed?  Pure stupidity.

Oh not again with your 'legalizing weed" weed is NOT going to be legalized for recreational use EVER ! and hemp won't get a fly high at 0.2% THC. Do more research. Those that like smoking decent stuff are already doing it since the beginning of time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Its not a time to drive anywhere in LOS that's for sure. Not that the rest of the year is much better.

It's a shame but to drive any appreciable distance on Thai roads brings an accelerated risk of injury or death, especially cross country which is a darn shame as theres so much beauty and culture to appreciate.

It's such an avoidable shame (albeit it would take decades to change) i.e. the culture of drunk driving, next to zero random roadside breathalyser stations, poor driving skills, no deterrence to speeding e.g. national system of signed permanent radar in black-spots - national random mobile radar stations, heavier enforced fines, national sequential periodic media education, unregulated unroadworthy overloaded and poorly maintained bulk haulage vehicles, micro-sleeping due to fatigue brought on by economic pressure to deliver and get back on the road, and terrible road quality.

Interesting to note the gun death rate in the US is comparable to the horrific road death toll here for the same first quarter of 2022. 

"........poor driving skills"

The "driving test" here is a not very funny joke - people can pass their driving test never having driven on a main road, let alone "motorways/freeways" - in fact theoreticallly, never having driven on a road at all!!!

".......economic pressure to deliver and get back on the road"

Cement trucks?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Maybe if they learned how to drive and followed just some of the rules of the road and [big reach] used a little common sense these accidents may never have happen.

See my post above re the driving test!

Edited by sambum