Cannot renew retirement due to passport issues, options

Hi, Started the planning for renewing retirement visa/extension/exemption or whatever it is called.  Is due in about 6 weeks, needs a passport validity of 18 months, I will have 12 at this point. Ok off to the Australian embassy website, earliest appointment in 6 week, then up to another 6 weeks to receive, no express service like there used to be, damm, two months too late. Ok so I will need to get another visa or whatever to tide me over until the new passport arrives. I am thinking a 90 day or something like that, which I can then covert back to retirement at a later date. The only information I can find on a 90 day is it being issued outside of Thailand, I am pretty sure I have got a 90 day previously in Thailand.  Anyone familiar with the current rules?  There is a lot more to the background of how I ended up in this situation, though I have only laid out the current facts of what I am now faced with as the rest is history.

Cheers

• Confused 3

Get the extension of your permission to stay as usual (which may be for a little less than a full year if your passport expiry date is under 12 months ahead). Then, immediately apply for a new passport. You should avoid having a passport with less than six months of remaining validity as this can create complications if you need to travel.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. The 18 months was on the Immigration website, but TIT and may be incorrect. I will go and ask at immigration in Jomtien and see what they have to say.

Cheers

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Litlos said:

. I will go and ask at immigration in Jomtien and see what they have to say.

You don't need to go to immigration. 

As others have posted....

Your extension will be dated till 12 months from current expiry OR  till the expiry of your pp.

Sounds like you will get almost the full 12 months.

Wait till after you apply for next extension and then start process of obtaining pp renewal.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Litlos said:

The 18 months was on the Immigration website, but TIT and may be incorrect. I

You may have found an ancient page discussing applications for an imaginary Non O-A visa within Thailand (at the old immigration office that predated Chaengwattana). The Non O-A visa application from within Thailand was never available, and the documented requirements were therefore completely irrelevant.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You may have found an ancient page discussing applications for an imaginary Non O-A visa within Thailand (at the old immigration office that predated Chaengwattana). The Non O-A visa application from within Thailand was never available, and the documented requirements were therefore completely irrelevant.

I went back on the Chonburi immigration site where I saw it using my browser history. All the English text is gone and the website has been updated all in Thai irrelevant of language settings. Looks like I was unlucky enough to visit while it was a work in progress and directed to incorrect information, which has now been removed.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't understand the "need" for 18 months. If your current passport has 12 months to run, you can get an extension until its expiry date, even if that is not the full 12 months. Then 3 months before it expires, apply for a new passport and then renew your extension when it arrives.

This is exactly what I am doing. My passport expires on 30 April 2023, and my Ext of Stay on 25 May 2022. It will be extended in my old passport until 30 April 2023, and after I apply for my new UK passport, (which takes 10 weeks to process), I will have the new Ext of Stay transferred to the new passport, once I get it. My understanding is that I cannot travel for the 10 weeks whilst the new one is being processed, even though I will have it in my possession.

Edited by samtam

I don't think this is a rule at a Thai Immigration office.

I have a Type O visa and renewed my One-Year-Stay using Retirement criteria in March this year and my US passport was to expire in December. There was no problem, but they only gave me an extension until the date my passport expires, which in my case was about nine months.

After getting the extension, I applied online for a new passport and received one about 10 days later. Then, I went down to my Immigration Office (Phetchabun) and had everything transferred to the new passport. My Long-Stay Extension expires in Dec, the date my old passport was to expire, but all I have to do is go in before the expiration date and apply for another One-Year-Stay extension using the new passport.

Easy-peasy!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Litlos said:

I went back on the Chonburi immigration site where I saw it using my browser history. All the English text is gone and the website has been updated all in Thai irrelevant of language settings. Looks like I was unlucky enough to visit while it was a work in progress and directed to incorrect information, which has now been removed.

Cheers

If you do want to find it again, it will most likely be saved in archive.org.

You can copy the url of the page from your browser history, open the home page for http://archive.org and paste the url in the Wayback Machine search box. Then, just click on a date around the time when you encountered the information that misled you.

1 hour ago, samtam said:

This is exactly what I am doing. My passport expires on 30 April 2023, and my Ext of Stay on 25 May 2022. It will be extended in my old passport until 30 April 2023, and after I apply for my new UK passport, (which takes 10 weeks to process), I will have the new Ext of Stay transferred to the new passport, once I get it. 

Not quite correct ....when you get your extension it will be valid until the passport expiry, then you have to get a new extension once you get the new passport. You cannot transfer the old one.

That’s what immigration told me, my new passport would not be ready in time for my extension. I wasn’t expecting a more than two month wait just for an interview appointment plus at least six weeks for processsing after that.....last time it took 3 months ! So my next extension will be for only 11 months, no big deal.

2 hours ago, samtam said:

This is exactly what I am doing. My passport expires on 30 April 2023, and my Ext of Stay on 25 May 2022. It will be extended in my old passport until 30 April 2023, and after I apply for my new UK passport, (which takes 10 weeks to process), I will have the new Ext of Stay transferred to the new passport, once I get it. My understanding is that I cannot travel for the 10 weeks whilst the new one is being processed, even though I will have it in my possession.

Why can't you travel while your new passport is being processed?  You still have a valid passport with you.

Last time I changed passport, I had 6 months. I renewed the passport in Liverpool UK where they have a 4 hour service for 110 quid in 2015. 

I had to have my old visa put in the new passport, which needed a letter from the embassy here verifying that my passport was genuine. In the past 7 years or so it may well have changed.

3 hours ago, samtam said:

I have done the opposite. My old passport runs out in April 2023 so I have already obtained my new UK passport so I have a full 12 mths extension from Aug 2022. Belt and braces but I felt happier doing it in advance despite loosing 9mths validity on my old passport. Uk passport took 4 weeks for HMPO Trendy to process and 4 weeks for it to be delivered from India all c/o Key Visa

7 hours ago, Litlos said:

Thanks for the replies. The 18 months was on the Immigration website, but TIT and may be incorrect. I will go and ask at immigration in Jomtien and see what they have to say.

Cheers

You seem to have bad information. Made an appointment to renew my passport (Retirement extension coming up). Got an appointment at Aus embassy 3 days forward, had to wait 2 week for the new passport. Just get all your ducks in a line. Only hassle IO at Chain W demanded that I get the bank to print out every page of my savings book before they would transfer data from the old to new passport. Still had 2 months to go before renewal of retirement. Advised the Aus embassy of the "new Rule" hope they will tell you otherwise 2 trips to CW to register the new passport. 

11 hours ago, kennw said:

Got an appointment at Aus embassy 3 days forward, had to wait 2 week for the new passport

Interesting.

I'm considering pp renewal at Oz embassy Bangkok.

I checked appointment today.

First available was May 31.

Also this from Oz embassy web page.

"You should allow up to 6 weeks to receive a passport."

On top of that recent news articles  in Australia of obtaining pp there has blown out to many weeks. 

The suggestion being easier international travel. 

Screenshot shows first available appointment.

Screenshot_20220420-203143.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, kennw said:

You seem to have bad information. Made an appointment to renew my passport (Retirement extension coming up). Got an appointment at Aus embassy 3 days forward, had to wait 2 week for the new passport. Just get all your ducks in a line. Only hassle IO at Chain W demanded that I get the bank to print out every page of my savings book before they would transfer data from the old to new passport. Still had 2 months to go before renewal of retirement. Advised the Aus embassy of the "new Rule" hope they will tell you otherwise 2 trips to CW to register the new passport. 

You seem to be quoting old information. There are two people here saying about 6 weeks to get an appointment. Tell you what why don't you try and book a new appointment and see what it says. Also people are reporting up to six weeks to get new passport., this is also quoted on the embassy website. I have learned with this embassy do not believe and allow extra otherwise you will be disappointed.

Cheers

Edited by Litlos

4 minutes ago, Litlos said:

You seem to be quoting old information.

Yeah it's previous pre covid.

I obtained Oz pp renewal few years back at Oz embassy Bangkok.

Couldn't believe how quick it was.

I still have years left on current pp but it's knocked around and have been looking into renewal.

I also looked into obtaining one in Oz as I'm heading there for 15 day trip later this year.

The wait time even applying in Oz now is through the roof.

Earlier post I suggested that you obtain your next extension with current pp, even if that means you lose month or two.

Best option imo. 

I dont wish to hijack this thread but I think it has run it's course. I will be in a similar but different situation next year where my extension renewal will be in March 23 and my passport will expire in May 23. I glean from above that the extension will only be granted until when my passport runs out in May 23 but I will be leaving with a re-entry permit in April 23 for the UK. What will be my situation when I wish to return to Thailand with a new passport in October 23 please?

20 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I dont wish to hijack this thread but I think it has run it's course. I will be in a similar but different situation next year where my extension renewal will be in March 23 and my passport will expire in May 23. I glean from above that the extension will only be granted until when my passport runs out in May 23 but I will be leaving with a re-entry permit in April 23 for the UK. What will be my situation when I wish to return to Thailand with a new passport in October 23 please?

October 2023 is after May 2023, so getting a re-entry permit would be pointless. In most cases, you would be well advised to apply for a new passport now (through Trendy in Bangkok or using an agent) so that the extension you get in March 2023 will run until March 2024. Then, the re-entry permit will protect your permission to stay for your return in October 2023.

• Like 2

Last year I got an extension with only 10 months left on my passport. Only consequence was that they would only extend for the remainder of the passport. I could have renewed my passport earlier but would have lost nearly a year on that. New UK passports are now dated from when they are issued not when the previous one expired . 

16 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Why can't you travel while your new passport is being processed?  You still have a valid passport with you.

When the UK passport office receive an application for new or replacement passport the previous passport is immediately cancelled and becomes invalid, other than for identification purposes.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

When the UK passport office receive an application for new or replacement passport the previous passport is immediately cancelled and becomes invalid, other than for identification purposes.

Any visa, permission of stay stamp, reentry permit etc remain valid in a cancelled passport. 

You can travel Internationally using both passports.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting.

I'm considering pp renewal at Oz embassy Bangkok.

I checked appointment today.

First available was May 31.

Also this from Oz embassy web page.

"You should allow up to 6 weeks to receive a passport."

On top of that recent news articles  in Australia of obtaining pp there has blown out to many weeks. 

The suggestion being easier international travel. 

Screenshot shows first available appointment.

Screenshot_20220420-203143.jpg

My Aust PP expires in Oct this year, and my annual extension at the end of July this year. I was planning to apply for a new PP later next month, but was unaware of the long waiting times for an appointment just to lodge the application.

So I just checked the embassy website (at 10:30am this morning) to make a booking and I was surprised that the earliest appointment that the system offered wasn't too bad at just 2.5 weeks (Monday 9th May). It seems that their booking system is playing silly buggers given the inconsistency that some members have recently experienced.

Well I went back and had another look at the embassy website. I now have a booking for the 9th of May, a reasonable improvement on the 24th. No option I could see to cancel the original appointment though. I made a note in the booking so now we will see if anyone actually reads the notes, I will not be holding my breath based on previous Bangkok embassy experiences.

Cheers

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mark5335 said:

So I just checked the embassy website (at 10:30am this morning) to make a booking and I was surprised that the earliest appointment that the system offered wasn't too bad at just 2.5 weeks (Monday 9th May).

Good news. 

Given your permission of stay date you appear to have time to renew your pp.

When you go for your appointment, wouldn't hurt to ask about current turn around time.

They would know. 

If all sounds doable go for it.

You can do stamp and visa info transfer at same visit as your next extension. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Good news. 

Given your permission of stay date you appear to have time to renew your pp.

When you go for your appointment, wouldn't hurt to ask about current turn around time.

They would know. 

If all sounds doable go for it.

You can do stamp and visa info transfer at same visit as your next extension. 

I will probably just go and do the visa renewal next week, as I will only lose 9 days off the extension, and that clears one problem out of the way. It looks like I need to be heading overseas for work in 5 or 6 weeks anyway.

Cheers

• Like 1