Cannot renew retirement due to passport issues, options

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Any visa, permission of stay stamp, reentry permit etc remain valid in a cancelled passport. 

You can travel Internationally using both passports.

I think you cannot travel whilst your old passport is being processed, even if you have it in your posession, (in Thailand), per Passport Office website:

Overseas British passport applications

How long it takes

You’ll need to allow up to 11 weeks to get a new passport.

You may have to attend an interview.

Applications will take longer if:

• HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
  • the photographs you send are rejected

Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, you may be able to apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

Edited by samtam

46 minutes ago, samtam said:

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

I travelled internationally every month for best part of a year.

You need to show both passports.

That's why this is written in cancelled pp

IMG_20220421_145356_565~2.jpg

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I travelled internationally every month for best part of a year.

You need to show both passports.

We may be talking about 2 different things. I'm talking about not being able to travel during the 11 weeks application process, before I have received the new passport.

6 minutes ago, samtam said:

I think you cannot travel whilst your old passport is being processed, even if you have it in your posession, (in Thailand), per Passport Office website:

In practice, most international travel near Thailand will still be successful before your new passport arrives. However, you are correct that, according to the UK computer records. the old passport is cancelled. Unexpired visas, extensions and re-entry permits remain valid, but you do not have a technically valid passport to travel until the new passport arrives. If you decide to risk travel with only your old passport, keep your fingers crossed. You have been warned that you will be travelling on an invalid passport.

23 hours ago, MikeN said:

Not quite correct ....when you get your extension it will be valid until the passport expiry, then you have to get a new extension once you get the new passport. You cannot transfer the old one.

That’s what immigration told me, my new passport would not be ready in time for my extension. I wasn’t expecting a more than two month wait just for an interview appointment plus at least six weeks for processsing after that.....last time it took 3 months ! So my next extension will be for only 11 months, no big deal.

I am basing my reply on my agent's advice. The current extension of stay will be only until the expiry of the passport, and that extension of stay will be transferred to the new passport, when I receive it. Unfortunately I only realised my expiry in March this year, allowing an insufficient time to apply for a new passport before expiry of my extension of stay in May 2022...it might have been feasible, if the renewal of UK passports wasn't taking an inordinate length of time.

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In practice, most international travel near Thailand will still be successful before your new passport arrives. However, you are correct that, according to the UK computer records. the old passport is cancelled. Unexpired visas, extensions and re-entry permits remain valid, but you do not have a technically valid passport to travel until the new passport arrives. If you decide to risk travel with only your old passport, keep your fingers crossed. You have been warned that you will be travelling on an invalid passport.

Thanks for the warning, but yes, that is why I was quoting the UK Passport rules, as stated, which seem clear.

23 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Why can't you travel while your new passport is being processed?  You still have a valid passport with you.

For the reasons stated. The UK Passport rules say you cannot travel whilst the passport is in the process of being renewed, unless you obtain an emergency passport. Quotes as above. The only reason they process your passport with photocopies is because of Thailand's "requirement" that passports must be carried at all times, (although in practice no one does).

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, samtam said:

For the reasons stated. The UK Passport rules say you cannot travel whilst the passport is in the process of being renewed, unless you obtain an emergency passport. Quotes as above. The only reason they process your passport with photocopies is because of Thailand's "requirement" that passports must be carried at all times, (although in practice no one does).

The website does indeed say this, but to me this sounds kinda strange.

Do they stamp the passport or punch a whole in it as soon as you apply for a new one? Afaik not, so how would anybody know that you applied for a new one and what would stop a person from travelling?

5 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Do they stamp the passport or punch a whole in it as soon as you apply for a new one? Afaik not, so how would anybody know that you applied for a new one and what would stop a person from travelling?

As soon as your passport application is received they mark you passport as invalid in their system. Some countries will check to see if your passport is flagged when enter that country.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As soon as your passport application is received they mark you passport as invalid in their system. Some countries will check to see if your passport is flagged when enter that country.

A risk absolutively not worth taking.

I travelled back and forward to Middle East while waiting for new Australian passport as it was still a valid passport.  When I went to collect new passport they cut the name and barcode bit of the bottom of the photo page, very definitely no longer valid, and handed it back to me. Rules seem to vary between countries and possibly even embassies. At the moment it is a nightmare, so give yourself 3 times as long as you think you need.

Cheers

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Any visa, permission of stay stamp, reentry permit etc remain valid in a cancelled passport. 

You can travel Internationally using both passports.

What did you find difficult about the point that was raised.

"Why can't you travel while your new passport is being processed? You still have a valid passport with you. "

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What did you find difficult about the point that was raised

I replied to this post.....

"When the UK passport office receive an application for new or replacement passport the previous passport is immediately cancelled and becomes invalid, other than for identification purposes."

"Any visa, permission of stay stamp, reentry permit etc remain valid in a cancelled passport. 

You can travel Internationally using both passports."

In that post the guy did not refer to not having both passports.

He did earlier true. 

We were referring to two different situations. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I replied to this post.....

"When the UK passport office receive an application for new or replacement passport the previous passport is immediately cancelled and becomes invalid, other than for identification purposes."

"Any visa, permission of stay stamp, reentry permit etc remain valid in a cancelled passport. 

You can travel Internationally using both passports."

In that post the guy did not refer to not having both passports.

He did earlier true. 

We were referring to two different situations. 

Before replying don't you think you should check the facts behind the context, it is not like you can't see it was a response to another post.

Biggest problem on this forum are those that stick their nose in out of context.

This is the post you should have replied to, not my answer.

"Why can't you travel while your new passport is being processed? You still have a valid passport with you. "

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The website does indeed say this, but to me this sounds kinda strange.

Travel to somewhere like Cambodia or Laos will probably work (in the same way that someone might well be able to use a stolen UK passport to make the same trip). However, the passport will have been electronically cancelled by the UK authorities. If you tried to use the passport to travel somewhere like the US, you would almost certainly find the authorities there knew about the passport no longer being valid.