Young woman crushed to death by 18 wheel truck at poorly arranged t-junction in Chachoengsao

webfact

e21b661230f9710a6e78fb0890bbf9939610d0e66a05dae43848ea9c88325a33.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath went to investigate after a 20 year old woman on a motorcycle was crushed to death under the back tire of an 18 wheel truck at a t-junction on Route 314 in Chachoengsao, central/east Thailand.

Narinthorn, 20, from Saraburi died. Thannakrit, 51, from Sakhon Nakhon, the trucker, was helping police with their inquiries.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The media found a confusing intersection with faded road markings that may have led to the accident.

Traffic on the left is forced to turn and should not proceed straight.

No charges have yet been filed as Muang police office Lieutenant Orawan Mityasit gathers evidence in the case. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve seen the video of this on the facebook page ‘Bad driving Thailand’... 

There’s nothing confusing about the junction at all... 

A larger trailer lorry was travelling straight on. 

The girl turned left without looking and pretty much rode straight under the wheels of the lorry. 

The cause: The girl simply did not look. 

It's not that she pulled out and the lorry failed to stop and hit her. She rode into the side of the lorry !!! she simply did not look at all.

Screenshot 2022-04-22 at 07.26.29.png

Yep, i saw the video too, no grey area here she just drove straight into the side of the truck!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Yep, i saw the video too, no grey area here she just drove straight into the side of the truck!

Of course, its terrible that someone lost their life... but... It is these idiots that really annoy me... 

When riding my motorbike I’ve had motorcyclists pull of the pavement on my left and ride straight towards me... they didn’t look (fortunately nothing behind me, nothing in my blindspot and I could go around them). 

I’ve had numerous motorcyclists simply pull out from the left and right side and nearly ride into me. When I hit my horn or shout at them the look at me as if I am the one who was in the wrong for being there !!!! 

But what really angers me about this road behaviour is when (if) a brainless motorcyclist pulls out like this in front of my Wife... if someone died would really upset her for a long time (and then of course there is getting the car fixed etc while we have to take our son to school, so we’d have to rent a car while ours is getting fixed.... the knock-on effect of utter idiots is not only to their own family).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Always two ways to look at things.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Traffic on the left is forced to turn and should not proceed straight.

The truck was in a left filter only lane and not supposed to go straight ahead. Only the right hand lane was for straight on - the truck was jumping the queue?

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

turning without looking as norm for thai drivers .and undertaking also  normal !!!  --. very sad -- RIP 

As much as I agree with you, I have also had quite a few close calls with foreigners on motorbikes. I was making a right turn at an intersection today, had a green turn light, and an elderly foreigner on a motorbike blasted through the red light from the opposite direction on the shoulder. He seemed totally unaware that he was very nearly run over....was just looking straight ahead as he went speeding on his way. Nobody has the monopoly on bad driving.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The girl turned left without looking and pretty much rode straight under the wheels of the lorry. 

It's not that she pulled out and the lorry failed to stop and hit her. She rode into the side of the lorry !!! she simply did not look at all.

I wish I was as smart as you. You managed to blame the victim on the basis of this photo.

When was the photo taken? At the time of the accident? Before or after the accident?

The dirty yellow truck and trailer seems to ne trying to undertake the blue one and force its way back into the left lane. 

Yes there is a scooter there in the photo and it looks as though the scooter may be trying to get out in front of the truck trailer, which in itself no longer on the main road.

No, I haven't looked ay the video nor do I want to.

IMO these types of accidents will continue until Thais are taught threat awareness during the qualification process. I'm assuming the young woman even had a license, quite a few don't.

Many Thais live in a bubble, completely oblivious to their surroundings. On scooters, they also seem to drive on the assumption anyone in a larger vehicle has a responsibility not to hit them.

I check my mirrors constantly, for threats coming from behind. It's very rare for me to see a Thai doing that, some even remove the mirrors as unnecessary accessories.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep looked like that to me too. So young and life ended, so terrifying to experience falling under the truck, before all that tonnage crushed the life out of her Sad none the less.

You don’t really need to be specifically trained when on a vulnerable vehicle to pay heed to your surroundings,it should be instinctive . As others pointed, out the basic failure to even look (as evidenced in this picture) can really only be explained by a fundamental lack of intelligence. That it’s so commonplace (along with other stupidity)leads to the conclusion that Thais really aren’t that bright . 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:52 PM, Lee4Life said:

As much as I agree with you, I have also had quite a few close calls with foreigners on motorbikes. I was making a right turn at an intersection today, had a green turn light, and an elderly foreigner on a motorbike blasted through the red light from the opposite direction on the shoulder. He seemed totally unaware that he was very nearly run over....was just looking straight ahead as he went speeding on his way. Nobody has the monopoly on bad driving.

Absolutely, see my thread about the old, Western idiot on the orange cruiser bike in the Motoring Section.

Some foreigners are actually worse than the locals.