Passport for child.....Thai born but Australia citizen

Kenny202

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of which passport to get for my 6yo son? He is born in Thailand but is also an Australia citizen.

For example if he had a Thai passport (a lot cheaper), and he entered Australia on a Thai passport....as soon as he go through the gates is he an Aussie? Or on a Thai passport would he need a visa to go to Australia?

And if he has an Australian passport entering Thailand as a Thai born citizen...is he considered a Thai or Aussie? .....for example does he need a visa to live here etc?

On the surface I guess an Australian passport better as he has access to more countries without visas. I don't plan on any immediate travel and even if we do probably only Australia. On the other hand a Thai passport probably easier and cheaper to obtain. We have also been told their are national service benefits for him later on if he is an Australian citizen with a Thai passport. Can he have both? Is there any issues where he has dual citizenship? Could his Australian citizenship be revoked if he doesn't visit there in a specific amount of time?

can you get Thai passport without being entered into a blue housebook? like only getting passport from overseas Thai embassies only

'cause if you are registered in the Thai system, having an ID card and name in a tabien baan somewhere, once you are of age, you are liable for the military conscription, if you enter on Thai passport, which you can enjoy visa free and limitless entry, during period when he's aged 21-30, there will be a shadow hanging over his head if they'll nab him for doing a runner from military service. 

@digbeth, exactly. My two sons were born in Thailand and the second is about to turn 30 so they both can get a Thai passport without the the worry of conscription.

They both live in Australia so there is really no need for a Thai passport at the moment.

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

@digbeth, exactly. My two sons were born in Thailand and the second is about to turn 30 so they both can get a Thai passport without the the worry of conscription.

They both live in Australia so there is really no need for a Thai passport at the moment.

So what does that mean? If my son lived here with an Australian passport and as an Australian citizen her wouldn't be conscripted? 

And how would he go living here with only an Australia passport Entered Thailand on an Australian passport? Would he need a visa same as other foreigners?

Edited by Kenny202

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

1 So what does that mean? If my son lived here with an Australian passport and as an Australian citizen her wouldn't be conscripted? 

2 And how would he go living here with only an Australia passport Entered Thailand on an Australian passport? Would he need a visa same as other foreigners?

1   That's correct

2  He would need a visa the same as all foreigners entering Thailand 

Just now, ozfarang said:

1   That's correct

2  He would need a visa the same as all foreigners entering Thailand 

I wonder if after the visa expired he would be ok to stay here as a normal Thai, as he is Thai born and a Thai citizen. That was the thing I couldn't get my head around when I made his citizenship in Australia. As far as the Australian government are concerned he is my legitimate son. But after that I still had to go through the courts to legitimize myself as his father in Thailand (not married to his mother). Si if I left the country and brought him back in on an Australian passport he would be recognized as my son here? lol

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of which passport to get for my 6yo son? He is born in Thailand but is also an Australia citizen.

Get him both Thai and Australian Passports. 

He enters and departs Thailand on his Thai passport.

He enters and departs Australia on his Australian passport.

No need for visa’s.

On conscription: IF your son’s birth is registered in Thailand and  / or IF he has a Thai Passport, he already has a Thai ID and will be called upon for conscription (there are ways around it) - it's not something I’m worried about for my son.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...