Do you need to transfer previous stamp before leaving?

For a new passport, is it required to transfer your previous stamp before you leave the country?

If you do have to transfer the previous stamp (a COVID extension), and if it's from another province, can you do the transfer to the new passport at Bangkok immigration instead?

Edited by ThLT

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You use both passports when leaving the country and immigration will transfer your current permit to stay to the new one and stamp you out of the country in it.

I will be travelling to Bangkok to get my new passport. My COVID extension stamp is from another province. I'm wondering if:

- Transferring in BKK immigration is possible, or

- Transferring isn't needed to leave the country

Edited by ThLT

What if you left Thailand using your current valid passport, containing your retirement extension and re-entry permit based on that extension, and then renewed your passport in the UK and travelled back with your new passport, and old passport containing your re-entry permit and extension?

I know it works the other way round for Thai passport holders, who have a valid UK visa in an old passport, when travelling on a new one.

4 minutes ago, ThLT said:

Transferring isn't needed to leave the country

It is not required to leave the country. Immigration will do it when you leave the country.

If you went to immigration to have the transfer done they would likely tell you to do it when leaving the country's. They normally only do the stamp transfers for those on long stay extensions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thonglorjimmy said:

What if you left Thailand using your current valid passport, containing your retirement extension and re-entry permit based on that extension, and then renewed your passport in the UK and travelled back with your new passport, and old passport containing your re-entry permit and extension?

You would show both passports when entering the country and they will stamp you into the country in your new passport. Then you would need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred to the new one.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thonglorjimmy said:

I'm on a COVID extension, didn't enter on retirement visa, extension is ending, in the process of getting new passport. ????

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not required to leave the country. Immigration will do it when you leave the country.

Ah, okay. By immigration, you mean immigration staff at the airport when leaving, correct?

@ubonjoe
To make sure I'm getting this correctly:

Getting new passport in Bangkok... so when leaving, show both passports, and get exit stamp + IO at airport transfers last COVID extension to new passport (both in new passport)?

On returning to Thailand, get entry stamp in new passport.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would show both passports when entering the country and they will stamp you into the country in your new passport. Then you would need to go to your local immigration office to have your stamps transferred to the new one.

I think this is regarding if I get my new passport outside of Thailand, right?

If I get my new passport in Bangkok, and the IO at the airport transfers my latest COVID extension when I'm leaving, I don't need to transfer anything else once having returned?

31 minutes ago, ThLT said:

If I get my new passport in Bangkok, and the IO at the airport transfers my latest COVID extension when I'm leaving

Doesn't a Covid extension lapse if you leave the country? How could it be transferred, unless it qualifies for a re-entry permit, which you would have to get before leaving?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you went to immigration to have the transfer done they would likely tell you to do it when leaving the country's. They normally only do the stamp transfers for those on long stay extensions.

The above is basically correct, with a small word of warning. If leaving Thailand through by land through some of the smaller crossings, the official who needs to do the stamp transfer may not be available for hours. It will usually be done at a special desk, sometimes in a different building. If relying on a stamp transfer at one of these small border crossings, ensure you leave a lot of extra time. It may be needed.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Doesn't a Covid extension lapse if you leave the country? How could it be transferred, unless it qualifies for a re-entry permit, which you would have to get before leaving?

Just before leaving the country, the Covid extension represents your permission to stay. Immigration will want this transferred to the passport you are using for travel before giving you the exit stamp. Certainly, like the entry stamp (which would be transferred if you had no extension) the Covid extension is no longer of interest once you leave, but it is important prior to receiving the exit stamp.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Just before leaving the country, the Covid extension represents your permission to stay. Immigration will want this transferred to the passport you are using for travel before giving you the exit stamp. Certainly, like the entry stamp (which would be transferred if you had no extension) the Covid extension is no longer of interest once you leave, but it is important prior to receiving the exit stamp.

Fair enough, as long as the OP does not harbour the illusion that he still has the status of a "Covid refugee" if/when he returns to Thailand.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Fair enough, as long as the OP does not harbour the illusion that he still has the status of a "Covid refugee" if/when he returns to Thailand.

Way to add your off-topic political opinion about COVID extensions. Why would I think my expiring COVID extension is still valid if I'm leaving the country? ???? 

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

Getting new passport in Bangkok... so when leaving, show both passports, and get exit stamp + IO at airport transfers last COVID extension to new passport (both in new passport)?

On returning to Thailand, get entry stamp in new passport.

Yes and Yes

1 hour ago, ThLT said:

I think this is regarding if I get my new passport outside of Thailand, right?

Yes

It was a reply to this post.

1 hour ago, thonglorjimmy said:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

It would be transferred to show a his current permit to stay was still valid before leaving the country. You cannot get a departure stamp without having a current permit to stay stamp in your passport.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 1:21 PM, ubonjoe said:

Hi ubonjoe,

I read in a few posts that, when the IO transfers the previous stamp to your new passport, that he/she also writes your old passport number. Is that correct?

On 4/23/2022 at 9:41 PM, thonglorjimmy said:

I know it works the other way round for Thai passport holders, who have a valid UK visa in an old passport, when travelling on a new one.

for me  i kept my ppt with me all the time    eventually they stopped asking for previous ppt