Can I change the date of my Extension of Stay .... or is it always renewed at 12 months intervals ?

My Extension of stay is in August (each year for the past 10 years or so).

I'm on a Custodian Extension, used to be Retirement.

But some years it's tricky cos I like to go back to the UK for 2 months in for July/August

Now I know can apply 30 days in advance which doesnt really help so I guess my question is can I change the renewal date to sometime not in July/August each year?

I'm thinking the answers NO, go get a new Non-Imm Visa when back in UK during the last week or so and Convert after say 3 months or some period....

If so does that involve a trip to KL or Singapore too ?

Cheers,

BBJ...

• Confused 1

This is a recurrent problem people have with the annual extensions, and there is no ideal solution.

With proof of your overseas trip, most immigration offices will, within reason, try to accommodate very early extensions. Talk to them about this and see what they say.

In theory, it should be possible to cancel an existing permission to stay, and on a same day apply for a new extension. Although the law seems to allow this, I have rarely heard of people being allowed to do it. Again, talk to your local office and see if they are willing to do it.

Other than that, the solution (as you allude to) is to leave Thailand without a re-entry permit, and restart the whole process of getting a Non Immigrant visas and subsequent extensions from scratch. Obviously, this is a bit of a pain.

• Like 1

Not sure whether it's the same for custodian extensions, but certainly with retirement extensions you could, if you were married to a Thai national, apply for a one-off 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting her, which would then reset the annual extension clock to October in your case.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not sure whether it's the same for custodian extensions, but certainly with retirement extensions you could, if you were married to a Thai national, apply for a one-off 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting her, which would then reset the annual extension clock to October in your case.

If he actually has a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai he could apply for a 60 day extension to visit his child if he has not applied for one since his last entry to the country with a visa. A custodian extension does not really exist.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If he actually has a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai he could apply for a 60 day extension to visit his child if he has not applied for one since his last entry to the country with a visa. A custodian extension does not really exist.

Yes I must admit that I found his reference to "custodian extension" rather confusing. Did make me wonder whether he was now employed as a beefeater at the Bangkok equivalent of the Tower Of London!????

• Haha 2

Yeh I was unsure about the name of my extension but that's what's its called by the Phuket Immigration Volunteers and on their website 

https://piv-phuket.com/long-stay-extensions/custodian-to-thai-child/

Custodian extension

In case a foreigner has sole custody over a Thai child (20 years old or younger) he/she can apply for a custodian extension.

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Thanks I'll pop down to Immigration and suggest this, Thanks ....

12 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Yeh I was unsure about the name of my extension but that's what's its called by the Phuket Immigration Volunteers and on their website 

They got it wrong.This from clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557 states.

image.png.f8cbd2bc5e60921cbe8ab536095a7a85.png

Note there is no mention of being a custodian.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They got it wrong.This from clause 2.18 of immigration order 327/2557 states.

image.png.f8cbd2bc5e60921cbe8ab536095a7a85.png

Note there is no mention of being a custodian.

Noted Thanks UbonJoe.

Anyway they (Phuket Immigration) granted it last year OK after a 3 week wait for approval from BKK I believe.

I had been on retirement extension for 5+ years, they would have preferred I stayed on the retirement....

I preferred to not have the 800k in the bank (almost) all year round.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents

I'm going to head to Immigration next week to enquire about a 60 day extension (current extension expires Aug 22nd), I might as well take some docs just in case they say, "Sure, no problem, we'll do it now for you Farang" !. 

Any idea what I should take, is it the "full set", i.e. Bank statements/letters/drawn maps or is it a pretty paperless easy peasy procedure....

Or will flight bookings showing I'm out of LOS from beginning July for 2-3 months suffice etc ?

Many thanks,

Cheers,

BBJ !

1 hour ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

Any idea what I should take, is it the "full set", i.e. Bank statements/letters/drawn maps or is it a pretty paperless easy peasy procedure....

Your wife will need to be with you.

You will only need your marriage corticate and copy of it. Copies of your wife's ID card and house book registry.

The might also want a recent printout of your Kor Ror marriage registry.

Plus copies of your passport photo page and etc. And TM6 departure card.

• Like 1

Dear LB & UJ,

Actually never married, separated, Thai Mum lived abroad for a few years. I do have full parental control.

So I'm thinking just copy Parental Control Court docs etc, Passport, TM6 etc will suffice which is easy.

So no banking hopefully required...

Do I need proof of my overseas flights cos not booked as yet but can do.... ?

Cheers

BBJ

44 minutes ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:

So I'm thinking just copy Parental Control Court docs etc, Passport, TM6 etc will suffice which is easy.

So no banking hopefully required...

You will need your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

You may need a Kor Ror 11 to prove your are the legal father of your child.

You will not need financial proof to apply for a 60 day extension.

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need your child's birth certificate and a copy of their house book registry.

You may need a Kor Ror 11 to prove your are the legal father of your child.

You will not need financial proof to apply for a 60 day extension.

Great thanks UJ !

Regards

BBJ

• 2 weeks later...

Update for "Noobs" and Expats like me that should know more about the Thailand Visa/Extension process etc...

I went to Phuket Immigration today.

The 60 day extension runs from the date you go to immigration/they grant the extension

You can do it 45 days before the end of you current extension.

ie You cant extend more the 45 days in advance and asked for 60 days to be tagged on the end.

So my current extension expires August 22nd,

I'll go in a few days beforehand and should be able to get the 60 days extension no problem (they said.)

OR Immigration suggested whilst I was in Singapore apply for Non-Imm O at Thai Embassy, then after 45 days in Thailand apply for 12 month Extension...

Cheers BBJ...

• 1 month later...

Quick Update :

Went as planned to get a 60 day extension today, needed 2 copies of "everything" except financials.

Told to come back after lunch.

After lunch told 60 day extension not allowed and only 30 day Covid extensions granted.

30 day extensions would not be granted a re-entry permit which is a pain has have flights to UK end August.

So I'm back next week for a full 1 year extension and then they can grant me a re-entry permit !

Cheers !