Turned away when applying for Non-O extension based on Thai Child.

I tried applying for a 1 year extension but was given a 60 day extension and a document in Thai and English detailing what is required, they didn't state the same requirements. Thai document had 11 requirements, English only 8.

The 60 days is nearly up so I am trying again applying for the 1 Year extension.

This time I got a letter from the bank stating 400k was in the account and not just a copy of the bank book, provided a map to the condo where we live and provided family photos. 

I provided the lease agreement and a screenshot of the TM30 submission but was told the bluebook and ID of the owner is required, The owner seems reluctant unless we sign up for another year but I wanted to move sooner than a year. Is this document really needed if I see a different immigration officer?

I was also asked for something proving a I am the farther, we are not married. The officer said we can get it from our local office, I am not sure what we need, my GF seems to know but I cannot imagine it is possible to get without doing a DNA test or something, they will have no more info than immigration was given.

The English requirements document stated:

"Copy documents proving relationship, such as a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, registration of child legitimisation, household registration certificate, child adoption registration certificate, or other evidence from the government or relevant agency"

Is the document from our local office "registration of child legitimisation"? and is it possible in 1 day?

The Thai document also requested photos or documents from my sons school.

5 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

Is the document from our local office "registration of child legitimisation"? and is it possible in 1 day?

Probably yes. Whether it is easy and quick to get depends on the age of the child. I assume you are named as the father on the birth certificate, and the child was born in Thailand. Even then, it is tricky if the child is a baby. It then must go through the courts, not via a simple application by you at the amphoe accompanied by your child.

8 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

I believe the document you refer to is a kor nor 11

This year i went to do exactly the same as yourself however i left it too late to do all the paperwork

Immigration stated the whole procedure would take approx 1 month to complete. You might be able to get the Kor nor 11 within 1 day but it still needs to be verified as i understood it.

This entailed it being sent somewhere and the waiting period was approximately i month.

I had just over 1 week left of my visa and they categorically stated, no way it would happen in that time period.

on my return this year i will start the process as soon as i arrive on my 3 month visa 

If i remember correctly the process is very simple if the child is over 7 years old, as mentioned, however, depending on the amphoe can be as low as 5 (no need to go to family court)

Edited by Dene16
addition

5 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I believe the document you refer to is a kor nor 11

This year i went to do exactly the same as yourself however i left it too late to do all the paperwork

Immigration stated the whole procedure would take approx 1 month to complete. You might be able to get the Kor nor 11 within 1 day but it still needs to be verified as i understood it.

It is a Kor Ror 11 that a Amphoe issues after it is proved you are the legal father of you child. The normal minimum age to get one done is 7 years old. I have heard of some Amphoes doing it when a child is a little younger.

A Kor Ror 11 is also issued after you are declared the legal father of your child by a family court.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a Kor Ror 11 that a Amphoe issues after it is proved you are the legal father of you child. The normal minimum age to get one done is 7 years

Thank you Ubonjoe This topic arose in January when i wished to get a yearly extension based on parental guardianship. You are correct on the 7 years but others have done it as low as 5 years. Not sure if it was the same discussion but someone mentioned they got the forms done for as little as 500Bt. I think i mentioned then, a lot was lost in translation but it did not change the fact that the process would take about 1 month. The main point to come out of it was that it was not necessary to pay extortionate lawyer fees and go through the family court

I will go through the post you have highlighted as i do need to be better prepared next time

41 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

If i remember correctly the process is very simple if the child is over 7 years old, as mentioned, however, depending on the amphoe can be as low as 5 (no need to go to family court)

I need to edit this as it is done in the family court but can be done by yourselves at a minimal cost. sorry for misleading information, too late for me to edit 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You may need to obtain a covid extension to buy more time.

How did you enter Thailand.

How old is child.

I entered on a Non-O so don't think the covid extension is available for me.

My son is 8 years old, he has a Thai ID card, Thai and British passports. I am named on the birth certificate. He is registered in the bluebook at his mums family home but we rent in Bangkok.

We were told to go to the local office near where we live in Bangkok but I expect we may need to the town where he is registered. The officer knew we only had a week left on my 60 day extension so should know if it would take 30 minutes or 30 days to complete.

She didn't want to speak to me in English so it is not easy to know what is needed.

10 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

I entered on a Non-O so don't think the covid extension is available for me

That's correct no covid available as you entered with non O.

Your son being 8 is a bonus as previous posts have pointed out.

Seems you just need a tidy up with some paperwork.

Are there agents in your area to assist with organization of paperwork. 

You have the required funds in bank so agent  shouldn't cost a lot..

Edited by DrJack54

30 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

We were told to go to the local office near where we live in Bangkok but I expect we may need to the town where he is registered. The officer knew we only had a week left on my 60 day extension so should know if it would take 30 minutes or 30 days to complete.

It may be possible to at the local Khet (Bangkok) or Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 11 to prove you are his legal father.  Not everything has to be done where a child is registered in a house book.

You son will have to be with you when the application is done.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It may be possible to at the local Khet (Bangkok) or Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 11 to prove you are his legal father.  Not everything has to be done where a child is registered in a house book.

You son will have to be with you when the application is done.

Just been to the local Khet and they didn’t like the translation of my sons name so they said we need to go to Chaeng Watthana to get a certified translation even that was already done for passports.

the next problem is they need either witnesses or 2 people to confirm I am the father, not sure which.

8 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

Cannot find anything at building B, one person says go to embassy to get copy of passport and then he will translate and then go to office of foreign affairs 

Translations are certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA that is on Chaeng Wattana Road.

Info can be found here. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/ขั้นตอนการรับรองเอกสาร

Do you already have a translation that needs to be certified? 

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Translations are certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA that is on Chaeng Wattana Road.

Info can be found here. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/ขั้นตอนการรับรองเอกสาร

Do you already have a translation that needs to be certified? 

No, not found anywhere to do it yet, we are in Building B

7 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

No, not found anywhere to do it yet, we are in Building B

You need to go to a translation service to get the translation done.

There are some near the Department of Consular Affairs building.

There is another location to do it as well. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/สถานที่ให้บริการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to go to a translation service to get the translation done.

There are some near the Department of Consular Affairs building.

There is another location to do it as well. https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/publicservice/สถานที่ให้บริการรับรองนิติกรณ์เอกสาร

Another agent at dca is saying I need to go to embassy to get a copy of passport stamped, is this true?

1 hour ago, RegisteredUser said:

Another agent at dca is saying I need to go to embassy to get a copy of passport stamped, is this true?

What does the Khet want translated?

Only if someone wants a certified copy of your passport would it need to be done at a embassy.

6 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

The officer knew we only had a week left on my 60 day extension so should know if it would take 30 minutes or 30 days to complete.

Do not expect any Thai official to know anything about services other than those they handle themselves. The immigration official will know which documents they need you to produce. However, what is required to get those documents is not something they will have the slightest idea about.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What does the Khet want translated?

Only if someone wants a certified copy of your passport would it need to be done at a embassy.

I think they thought my son’s surname didn’t match my surname as my gf mispronounced it at the time of doing the birth certificate. His english and Thai names are on the passport so I cannot see what the issue is.

We went to the British embassy but it is appointment only and the next appointment is 10th May, way too late.

the Agent at CW said they could get him registered at the Khet for 6500 because he knows the staff, but I was not sure he knew what we wanted so didn’t do that and would still need to do the visa extension ourselves so it seemed like they only wanted to do half the job but it looks like that is my only option.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, RegisteredUser said:

Just been to the local Khet and they didn’t like the translation of my sons name so they said we need to go to Chaeng Watthana to get a certified translation even that was already done for passports....

Translation from what language to what language, and on what document?

The first time your son's name and surname name were entered in an official Thai record was his birth certificate and this was probably in Thai language.

You say that your son also has a Thai ID card and this must have been the first time an English transcription of his name was entered in an official Thai record.

Thenceforth, for any "translation" of your son's name for Thai official purposes the Thai version and the English version must be exactly as shown on his Thai ID card. If a translator uses another version the district office will reject it or, as you put it, will not like it.

Edited by Maestro
Corrected typos

13 hours ago, Maestro said:

Translation from what language to what language, and on what document?

The first time your son's name and surname name were entered in an official Thai record was his birth certificate and this was probably in Thai language.

You say that your son also has a Thai ID card and this must have been the first time an English transcription of his name was entered in an official Thai record.

Thenceforth, for any "translation" of your son's name for Thai official purposes the Thai version and the English version must be exactly as shown on his Thai ID card. If a translator uses another version the district office will reject it or, as you put it, will not like it.

The first time was his Thai passport, we needed to ensure the translation was correct so it does match and has both english and Thai, the renewal was easy and then was the British passport, for his ID card a few months ago, they just copied from his passport, they got it wrong first but I spotted it. I really don’t know what they want translating, I think they want another government agency to confirm it is correct.

we are no further forward, suggested trying another office but they asked where we live and might say go to the closest.

45 minutes ago, RegisteredUser said:

The first time was his Thai passport, we needed to ensure the translation was correct so it does match and has both english and Thai, the renewal was easy and then was the British passport, for his ID card a few months ago, they just copied from his passport, they got it wrong first but I spotted it. I really don’t know what they want translating, I think they want another government agency to confirm it is correct.

we are no further forward, suggested trying another office but they asked where we live and might say go to the closest.

We just tried another office and they said the same, need to get passport stamped by embassy

Has anyone managed to get VISA Extension based on Thai Child without Legalisation from Amphur?

I have only 2 days left and cannot get to my Embassy in time.

I was thinking of just going to the Immigration again and seeing if they accept the paperwork this time.

My other options are just flying home or maybe another country but I am not sure if that is possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update for those interested:

I found an agent at CW who said he could get my VISA extension without me being legitimised as the father but it would cost 25,000. 

I couldn't think of an alternative before I had to leave so went with that.

The agent took me in to immigration, the officer didn't speak or even look at me as if she was doing something wrong, they still needed all the other documents and they needed signing, then they wanted to see my child but not his mum.

After about 30 minutes I had the under consideration stamp and now 30 days later I have the 1 year extension.

There was no visit to our home.

I have in the meanwhile got a stamped copy of my passport from the Embassy and had it translated and stamped by MFA but not used it at the Khet yet.

I am relieved but it has been a stressful, timely and costly process.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, RegisteredUser said:

the officer didn't speak or even look at me as if she was doing something wrong,

Yes, they can be like that. They're pondering if you know that they know they are doing something wrong bending their own rules. Of course all Immigration Officers have the official, "or any other documentation that the officer thinks may be required" as an ass cover.

Congratulations though, a winning if slightly expensive outcome.

• Like 1