Electric Bike with Green Book 2000 - 3000W

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Today I learned: One can get CTPL insurance for a unregistered and not road legal bike in Thailand ????

Been like that for over 20 years as far as I know. 

My CB400SF with its green book from a 100cc Wave and number plate was CTPL insured

So, if I bought this electric bike without green book I could insure (CTP). 

If I get pulled up by the cops, my infringement/traffic fine would be for no registration, no tax disc. 

54 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

So, if I bought this electric bike without green book I could insure (CTP). 

If I get pulled up by the cops, my infringement/traffic fine would be for no registration, no tax disc. 

I believe as do people where I live and my Thai friend also, he got CTPL because be thought that was a sensible thing to do, he didn't have to.

As and when the Thai DLT makes them required to have something  he will do what's required then.

The police around us don't bother because there's nothing in law about them other than looking at them as a bicycle that is battery propelled. 

There's 4 and 3 wheel electric powered carts and many 3 wheels electric taxi carts where we live, the taxi guys supposed to have licences for being a taxi but many don't. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:57 AM, Kwasaki said:

As and when the Thai DLT makes them required to have something  he will do what's required then.

The police around us don't bother because there's nothing in law about them other than looking at them as a bicycle that is battery propelled. 

Thai law and the DLT already require electric motorcycles with more than 250 Watt to be registered and insured. https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30402252

Electric motorcycles have for pretty much forever not been looked as bicycles but as motorcycles as can be seen in the Motor Vehicle Act. In fact it counts bicycles with motors as motorcycles (no surprise).

“Motorcycle” means a vehicle driven by motor or electric power with
not more than two wheels, or not more than an additional wheel in a sidecar, and
shall include a bicycle equipped with motor driven devices;

35 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Thai law and the DLT already require electric motorcycles with more than 250 Watt to be registered and insured. https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/30402252

You understood this wrong. It says: "Meanwhile, electric motorcycles must be at least 250 watts and be capable of 45kph."

This doesn't mean that vehicles with less than 250 watt aren't classed as motorcycles, but that it's not possible to register them.

So two-wheeled vehicles with less than 250 watt aren't legal to drive on public roads at all, and over 250 watt has to be registered, insured etc. to be legal.

25 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You understood this wrong. It says: "Meanwhile, electric motorcycles must be at least 250 watts and be capable of 45kph."

This doesn't mean that vehicles with less than 250 watt aren't classed as motorcycles, but that it's not possible to register them.

So two-wheeled vehicles with less than 250 watt aren't legal to drive on public roads at all, and over 250 watt has to be registered, insured etc. to be legal.

Maybe you misread what I said? I think we agree. If more than or equal to 250W then you need to register and insure it to be legally allowed to ride on public roads. If less than 250W then you can't register them and hence can't legally ride them on public roads.

12 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Maybe you misread what I said? I think we agree. If more than or equal to 250W then you need to register and insure it to be legally allowed to ride on public roads. If less than 250W then you can't register them and hence can't legally ride them on public roads.

Not misread, but I interpreted your post so that you said that under 250 watt doesn't have to be registered and could still be ridden.

You clarified it now, so yes we agree.

Edited by FriendlyFarang