mobile devices from the states

riclag

Just got a email from mintmobile they are updating their software! 3g is no longer supported!

I brought in a alcatel LTE flip phone  4g compatible in 2019 and it works like a charm to receive the dreaded bank and other institutions 2 step verifications txt codes.

So it appears the forces that be are sunsetting programs purposely to force new phone purchases imop

I understand this  . My question is, even though my phone is 4g LTE is it  VOLTE compatible ? 

It appears this is another new tech term /technology that they added, Volte .

Voice over LTE. So when you make or receive a voice call, it may/can be transported within a data network.

Where do you live?

What is the make and model number of you current phone?

Which Mint mobile plan do you have?

What do you do with your phone?

You use/fund UpRoam?

Do you use WiFi calling?

I'm not seeing any issue here. If your phone roams here it will continue to do so. If you use WiFi calling, that will continue to function. Not seeing how VoLTE is an issue for you?

3 hours ago, riclag said:

So it appears the forces that be are sunsetting programs purposely to force new phone purchases imop

I love a good conspiracy theory - "forces that be" is suitably ominous, but not seeing where you're going here? Are there aliens involved?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Voice over LTE. So when you make or receive a voice call, it may/can be transported within a data network.

Where do you live?

What is the make and model number of you current phone?

Which Mint mobile plan do you have?

What do you do with your phone?

You use/fund UpRoam?

Do you use WiFi calling?

I'm not seeing any issue here. If your phone roams here it will continue to do so. If you use WiFi calling, that will continue to function. Not seeing how VoLTE is an issue for you?

I love a good conspiracy theory - "forces that be" is suitably ominous, but not seeing where you're going here? Are there aliens involved?

conspiracy lol Its a broad brush description of companies wanting or forcing new technologies( sunsetting) down a consumers throat! Others share the same  feelings. But thats not my main concern presently!
The alcatel flip phone doesn’t support wifi calling.

Device Alcatel flip 4044V
4g LTE  gsm (1900/850 MHz).

Mintmobile  plan is the $15 pm .

Im in Thailand .

I never use it for calls ,period!

its sole purpose was to receive usa verification txt msgs!

15 hours ago, riclag said:

its sole purpose was to receive usa verification txt msgs!

And are you able to currently receive these SMSes? Do you have a mobile signal?

Did it ever receive SMSes?

You have UpRoam enabled and funded?

20 hours ago, riclag said:

Just got a email from mintmobile they are updating their software! 3g is no longer supported!

Just to be clear you are roaming on a local thai mobile network: AIS, DTAC or TrueMove H.

That phone has extremely limited frequency compatibility with these available here.

A new, inexpensive locally-purchased smart-phone, which is WiFi capable, seems like a good move going forward.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Just to be clear you are roaming on a local thai mobile network: AIS, DTAC or TrueMove H.

That phone has extremely limited frequency compatibility with these available here.

A new, inexpensive locally-purchased smart-phone, which is WiFi capable, seems like a good move going forward.

Affirmative on everything you asked! Sorry i think i gave the wrong impression that it wasnt working at times  ! Its fantastic , no problems!

Do you have any suggestions for a phone ? Keep in mind that its purpose is to just get txt msg ! 
thanks

On 4/28/2022 at 10:08 AM, mtls2005 said:

How about this phone ?

Samsung Galaxy  A13  5g !

Its for sale here in Thailand and its also for sale on Mintmobile online  store!

6 hours ago, riclag said:

Its for sale here in Thailand

Where? Link? Price? I only see the A13 4G model here.

its also for sale on Mintmobile online  store

Probably different model numbers. And not sure why this is important.

Again, you're roaming on a local thai network, and not on Mint's virtual (T-Mobile) network. 

This is just for your Mint SIM, and to receive the occasional SMS, and you're happy with UpRoam, why the new phone?

If it's not broke...

Do you need a new smartphone? Do you plan to travel to other countries, return to the U.S. or Canada?

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Where? Link? Price? I only see the A13 4G model here.

Probably different model numbers. And not sure why this is important.

Again, you're roaming on a local thai network, and not on Mint's virtual (T-Mobile) network. 

This is just for your Mint SIM, and to receive the occasional SMS, and you're happy with UpRoam, why the new phone?

If it's not broke...

Do you need a new smartphone? Do you plan to travel to other countries, return to the U.S. or Canada?

I need a Volte complaiant phone, I think ( no expert). This phone(alcatel flip 4g LTE) I have now might not receive a signal after the mintmobile declared the  network is upgrading in July . 

I don't need a new phone but the warning that I received concerns me! I'm worried enough to buy a 5g phone .

Looks like your inclined to think that   my alcatel flip will still get a signal and won't be affected by the mintmobile's network upgrade . So I'll just wait till July .

https://www.mobilewithprices.com/samsung-galaxy-a13-5g-9595-in-thailand-5031.php

Edited by riclag

VoLTE is only applicable if making Voice Calls (Voice Over LTE = VoLTE). LTE is essentially 4G. If you are only needing to receive/send text/SMS then any 4G or 5G phone will do. As 5G is still relatively limited then 4G won't be superceeded anytime soon. And 4G is very fast too. I'd stay (and I do) with 4G for now.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

I need a Volte complaiant phone, I think ( no expert).

Do you mean Mint is pushing out an over-the-air FIRMWARE update to your model phone that will disable its 2G and/or 3G functionality?

OR, do you mean that the mobile towers they use in the U.S. (T-Mobile) are sunsetting their 2G and 3G services as long promised?

-------------------------

AFAIK, you don't generally need a VOLTE phone in order to send/receive text messages...

VOLTE is for actual VOICE calls that go over the LTE data network, instead of the older 2G and 3G mobile networks that are being phased out in the U.S.

As long as your phone with the U.S.-based  Mint Mobile SIM can still make a roaming mobile data network connection to some Thai mobile provider, you still should be able to receive SMS messages sent from the U.S. to your Mint Mobile SIM.

The only issue I can think of is IF Mint Mobile is pushing a firmware update to your phone model that disables its prior 2G and 3G functionality, that might be a problem, because a lot of the T-Mobile network mobile companies in the U.S. seem to have their international roaming agreements with foreign providers be only for 2G and 3G service, instead of LTE.

So, if your phone model doesn't support wifi-calling when abroad, as you said, AND if Mint actually is disabling 2G/3G on your phone AND they don't have LTE international roaming agreements in place withany of the various Thai providers, then that might be a problem.....

• Thanks 1

I need a Volte complaiant phone, I think

No. You don't.

Not sure repeating myself over and over is getting through. Clearly my communication skills are lacking.

I ask simple questions and these go unanswered.

but the warning that I received concerns me!

Again, I've suggested, strongly, multiple times, that this warning does not affect you. 

T-Mobile, the physical network Mint mobile users utilize in the U.S., has long planned to stop supporting older 2G/3G services (and CDMA services inherited with the Sprint merger) in order to free up spectrum for 4G/5G.  

But you are in thailand, roaming on local networks which provide, limited, frequent support.

Do you plan to return to the U.S.? If not, ignore the following...

Now if/when you return to the U.S. you would be advised to consider a new phone which supports VoLTE and at least some of the frequencies now being offered by T-Mobile.

A non-U.S. variant of a particular phone model may or may not support all of these frequencies, but most should support a few 4G/LTE frequencies.

I think the A136U variant is ideal, but not necessary, for a T-Mo network.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

This phone is two years old. I'd look for a newer model, which supports VoLTE (most do these days) and WiFi Calling (most do). And which also supports at least half of the T0Mo 4G bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 66 (I think).

All that said, I think your Alcatel flip-phone will work continue to fine, both here and in the U.S. as it supports 4G/LTE, VoLTE and bands 1, 2, 4.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Do you mean Mint is pushing out an over-the-air FIRMWARE update to your model phone that will disable its 2G and/or 3G functionality?

OR, do you mean that the mobile towers they use in the U.S. (T-Mobile) are sunsetting their 2G and 3G services as long promised?

AFAIK, you don't generally need a VOLTE phone in order to send/receive text messages...

VOLTE is for actual VOICE calls that go over the LTE data network, instead of the older 2G and 3G mobile networks that are being phased out in the U.S.

As long as your phone with the U.S.-based  Mint Mobile SIM can still make a roaming mobile data network connection to some Thai mobile provider, you still should be able to receive SMS messages sent from the U.S. to your Mint Mobile SIM.

The only issue I can think of is IF Mint Mobile is pushing a firmware update to your phone model that disables its prior 2G and 3G functionality, that might be a problem, because a lot of the T-Mobile network mobile companies in the U.S. seem to have their international roaming agreements with foreign providers be only for 2G and 3G service, instead of LTE.

So, if your phone model doesn't support wifi-calling when abroad, as you said, AND if Mint actually is disabling 2G/3G on your phone AND they don't have LTE international roaming agreements in place withany of the various Thai providers, then that might be a problem.....

To answer your questions about Mintmobile , its better that I show what they sent me.So ill take the advice of @mtls2005.

Never a dull moment living abroad!555

93DEB95E-7CC0-46AA-9D7B-EF05B73B9E7B.thumb.jpeg.63bf38d0aada5d1e90e99a236526d5c5.jpeg

6 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

No. You don't.

Not sure repeating myself over and over is getting through. Clearly my communication skills are lacking.

I ask simple questions and these go unanswered.

Again, I've suggested, strongly, multiple times, that this warning does not affect you. 

T-Mobile, the physical network Mint mobile users utilize in the U.S., has long planned to stop supporting older 2G/3G services (and CDMA services inherited with the Sprint merger) in order to free up spectrum for 4G/5G.  

But you are in thailand, roaming on local networks which provide, limited, frequent support.

Do you plan to return to the U.S.? If not, ignore the following...

Now if/when you return to the U.S. you would be advised to consider a new phone which supports VoLTE and at least some of the frequencies now being offered by T-Mobile.

A non-U.S. variant of a particular phone model may or may not support all of these frequencies, but most should support a few 4G/LTE frequencies.

I think the A136U variant is ideal, but not necessary, for a T-Mo network.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

This phone is two years old. I'd look for a newer model, which supports VoLTE (most do these days) and WiFi Calling (most do). And which also supports at least half of the T0Mo 4G bands: 2, 4, 5, 12, 66 (I think).

All that said, I think your Alcatel flip-phone will work continue to fine, both here and in the U.S. as it supports 4G/LTE, VoLTE and bands 1, 2, 4.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

No ,your communication skills have always been ok.

Edited by riclag

On 5/3/2022 at 3:01 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think your right,the problem as you suggested has started  !  

I don’t get txt msgs anymore! It is able to receive calls through call forwarding via my google voice account and it gets wifi only.Looks like ill be looking for a volte 5g phone in the states with a nano sim slot to swap out and have it shipped to my kids to send me here. Sad
6CDC24E8-C602-41C0-931C-E50A1D91A63A.thumb.jpeg.e709e452c0490dc89508c3be539e6a5b.jpeg

Edited by riclag

You sho

5 hours ago, riclag said:

I think your right,the problem as you suggested has started  !  

I don’t get txt msgs anymore! It is able to receive calls through call forwarding via my google voice account and it gets wifi only.Looks like ill be looking for a volte 5g phone in the states with a nano sim slot to swap out and have it shipped to my kids to send me here. Sad
6CDC24E8-C602-41C0-931C-E50A1D91A63A.thumb.jpeg.e709e452c0490dc89508c3be539e6a5b.jpeg

AFAIK, you should be able to receive SMSs from the U.S. sent to a Google Voice phone number just by using wifi on your phone... You don't need a mobile data connection to use GV.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You sho

AFAIK, you should be able to receive SMSs from the U.S. sent to a Google Voice phone number just by using wifi on your phone... You don't need a mobile data connection to use GV.

I have my usa phone number set up with all the banks thats on the phone that's in (4g Lte alcatel flip)question ! Some of my banks and cc companies wont allow a Voip such as GV .

7 hours ago, riclag said:

I don’t get txt msgs anymore!

How do you know this?

Can you send an SMS from your Google Voice account (use the web access: voice.google.com) to your Mint Mobile number? Can you reply?

You have a roaming signal. That's good.

You have MintMobile UpRoam and it is funded? Can you send a SMS to 6700, with "ROAM" - no quotes in the body? What is the reply? 

You should be able to send/receive SMSes and and make/receive calls.

And you said you were receiving SMSes, when? As recently as this week?

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't think his phone is an Android smartphone, so he can't run the (Google) Voice app. It's a flip-phone running some proprietary SW. He'd have to rely on a browser for GV.

He could forward GV message to his gmail account and read/reply to those in email format.

No clue what this means...

7 hours ago, riclag said:

It is able to receive calls through call forwarding via my google voice account and it gets wifi only

Edited by mtls2005

If receiving SMS is the only need, It's better to get a T-mobile pay as you go SIM card. It needs $3 to keep the number active. You can set up auto charge for $10 using a credit card. It will load $10 and deduct $3 every month from your balance and keep the number active. It offers 30 minutes of talk and 30 SMS but no data at all. You can buy data package as you need or don't buy at all. I am not sure if t-mobile still offers this or not. I have one for almost twenty years when T-mobile started its cellular network around 2000. I can receive SMS in Thailand. I mostly don't use it as I also signed up for Google Fi when they started in 2016 that works as my real number. I Use the the t-mobile number when I sign up for something that requires a number and a SMS verification and appears mostly spam like investment webinars, etc. It is like my black hole number. 

Edited by Onerak

40 minutes ago, Onerak said:

If receiving SMS is the only need, It's better to get a T-mobile pay as you go SIM card. It needs $3 to keep the number active. You can set up auto charge for $10 using a credit card. It will load $10 and deduct $3 every month from your balance and keep the number active. It offers 30 minutes of talk and 30 SMS but no data at all. You can buy data package as you need or don't buy at all. I am not sure if t-mobile still offers this or not. I have one for almost twenty years when T-mobile started its cellular network around 2000. I can receive SMS in Thailand. I mostly don't use it as I also signed up for Google Fi when they started in 2016 that works as my real number. I Use the the t-mobile number when I sign up for something that requires a number and a SMS verification and appears mostly spam like investment webinars, etc. It is like my black hole number. 

Not available for new users beginning a few years ago.

Handled now by T-Mobile MVNO Ultramobile.com/paygo.

Still $3/month.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

How do you know this?

Can you send an SMS from your Google Voice account (use the web access: voice.google.com) to your Mint Mobile number? Can you reply?

You have a roaming signal. That's good.

You have MintMobile UpRoam and it is funded? Can you send a SMS to 6700, with "ROAM" - no quotes in the body? What is the reply? 

You should be able to send/receive SMSes and and make/receive calls.

And you said you were receiving SMSes, when? As recently as this week?

I don't think his phone is an Android smartphone, so he can't run the (Google) Voice app. It's a flip-phone running some proprietary SW. He'd have to rely on a browser for GV.

He could forward GV message to his gmail account and read/reply to those in email format.

No clue what this means...

How do i know this,l lol .I used my usa phone numbers in other accounts,such as my txt free, talktone ,skype, my son , my daughter and a bank within the last several days! Its not getting txt!!!!!

The phone does have a browser , that is a KAIOS platform  but its very outdated! I never used it for data ,only for receiving txt.

I sent a msg to 6700 as you suggested using roam no quotes and the reply was msg sent.

BD39E103-BA98-4C09-B17F-B0C1F8F87029.thumb.jpeg.1247012b190c93035775bfe46846b21e.jpeg

Edited by riclag

What is your current UpRoam balance?

Can you send a SMS to your son? Can you call your son - just ask him to let it ring, don't answer. Can your son call you, again let it ring don't answer?

I think your phone supports WiFi right? I see that symbol in your screen shot. Do you use WiFi calling? Do you use WiFi at all?

You have a roaming signal, and the MINT network ID, so unclear why you can't receive a TEXT.

It looks like you had a missed call? Can you elaborate on that at all?

Do you know anyone with a real phone? Maybe ask if they can help you. Swap your MINT SIM in and see what might work.

7 minutes ago, riclag said:

I sent a msg to 6700 as you suggested using roam no quotes and the reply was msg sent.

And you've received no reply?

How do you manage your MINT Mobile account? Via the web interface, right? (You can't run the app on your phone of course.)

I don't think your recent travails are down to any 3G network shutdown, as that is now extended to July 1.

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

What is your current UpRoam balance?

Can you send a SMS to your son? Can you call your son - just ask him to let it ring, don't answer. Can your son call you, again let it ring don't answer?

I think your phone supports WiFi right? I see that symbol in your screen shot. Do you use WiFi calling? Do you use WiFi at all?

You have a roaming signal, and the MINT network ID, so unclear why you can't receive a TEXT.

It looks like you had a missed call? Can you elaborate on that at all?

Do you know anyone with a real phone? Maybe ask if they can help you. Swap your MINT SIM in and see what might work.

And you've received no reply?

How do you manage your MINT Mobile account? Via the web interface, right? (You can't run the app on your phone of course.)

I don't think your recent travails are down to any 3G network shutdown, as that is now extended to July 1.

$0 now .This phone doesn’t support Wifi calling ! I never tried calling or txt msg my son ! Mint mobile has been fine tuning their service i believe.

The reply is in the picture(roam in blue highlights) and now i have a 0 balance ! It was $5.

Edited by riclag

My last guess is that while receiving international SMSs with MINT are free - the sender pays - you still need an UpRoam balance in order to register on the network.

But that's just a guess based on what little scraps of info you provide.

I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.

On 5/6/2022 at 7:40 PM, JimmyJ said:

Not available for new users beginning a few years ago.

Handled now by T-Mobile MVNO Ultramobile.com/paygo.

Still $3/month.

Hi Jimmy, What phone are you using now in order to receive verification txt codes? Im curious , since the major companies are sunsetting 3g this year! Also it appears they added another obstacle ,volte capability !

Do you have any suggestions for phones , I have a second generation IPhone Se that I purchased here in Thailand,just to use while surfing the net with a Thai sim but Im looking to buy something from the states “ cheap and capable to meet the new requirements “ of these cell companies  , so I can receive their txts! 
My alcatel (mentioned above)fit that requirement for years but now it fell victim to their  sunset schemes and I no longer can get txts. I wont be going o the states until next year so ill have it set to my kids and they will mail it here.

Edited by riclag

13 minutes ago, riclag said:

Hi jimmy, What phone are you using now in order to receive verification txt codes? Im curious , since the major companies are sunsetting 3g this year! Also it appears they added another obstacle ,volte capability !

Do you have any suggestions for phones , I have a second generation IPhone Se that I purchased here just to use while surfing the net with a Thai sim but Im looking to buy something from the states “ cheap and capable to meet the new requirements “ of these cell companies  , so I can receive their txts! 
My alcatel (mentioned above)fit that requirement for years but now it fell victim to their  sunset schemes and I no longer can get txts.

I have an Android which is ancient.

No problem so far receiving texts or calls with the OTPs.

No phone suggestions - I'll be starting a thread in the near future asking for suggestions on a new phone for me.

Not because of the issues you describe, but because they are wearing out.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Thanks 1

After reading another thread with many suggestions for me to use a Thailand bought device instead of buying and sending one from the USA , I switched out my usa mintmobile sim card from the flip phone (picture and device details in a prior comment)into a Iphone SE second generation which  had been bought in Thailand over a year ago and was using with  a dtac sim card only used for Apps using wifi and to get and send local calls.

Upon reading mintmobile instructions it leads me to believe all i would need to do in switching device’s is install the usa sim after taking out the Thai sim and wala it would work but I get pop ups below .I also noticed that AIS is the carrier when before it was Mint(mintmobile) on the top left of the old phone’s  screen. I haven't  clicked enable yet. Is this the correct step going forward? 

D2662F0D-4878-4408-AE4B-D8C8CBBDE3AE.jpeg.638add15417e130df49ff5d7dcfb506c.jpeg

Edited by riclag

AIS is the roaming partner, what gets displayed varies by phone and partner.

Did you receive any SMSes from MINT mobile when you first used the iPhone?

Are you able to receive an SMS, BEFORE enabling WiFi calling, just by roaming on AIS? 

You have to enable WiFi calling on the device, that's what your photo shows.

And you need to download install and run the Mint Mobile app.

And then enable WiFi calling for your account, can also be done with the web interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmkDILLWvE

go to 7:28 for My Account options.

FYI, I see the phone-> icon on the status bar, I think that means that call forwarding is ON.

I'm not sure that is a good thing. Do you have your MINT mobile number forwarded to another number? If so, to which number? And why?

https://www.mintmobile.com/faqs/how-do-i-turn-on-off-call-forwarding/

I would also make sure the iPhone is updated to the most current available version, mainly for Carrier Services.

Edited by mtls2005

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

AIS is the roaming partner, what gets displayed varies by phone and partner.

Did you receive any SMSes from MINT mobile when you first used the iPhone?

Are you able to receive an SMS, BEFORE enabling WiFi calling, just by roaming on AIS? 

You have to enable WiFi calling on the device, that's what your photo shows.

And you need to download install and run the Mint Mobile app.

And then enable WiFi calling for your account, can also be done with the web interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOmkDILLWvE

go to 7:28 for My Account options.

FYI, I see the phone-> icon on the status bar, I think that means that call forwarding is ON.

I'm not sure that is a good thing. Do you have your MINT mobile number forwarded to another number? If so, to which number? And why?

https://www.mintmobile.com/faqs/how-do-i-turn-on-off-call-forwarding/

I would also make sure the iPhone is updated to the most current available version, mainly for Carrier Services.

1. Did you receive any SMSes from MINT mobile when you first used the iPhone?
1. No

2.Are you able to receive an SMS, BEFORE enabling WiFi calling, just by roaming on AIS? 

2. i never tried ( i just put the mint sim in prior to that this phone had a dtac sim card)

I had call forwarding to Google voice in case my alcatel stop working . I thought at least if a bank needed to verify me by calling they could by dialing the mintmobile number and we would be able to talk through GOOGLE Voice app on the computer .