Helmet cooling

anyone

On my not expensive Thai helmet I have a vent in front and one at the back, I keep opening and closing them, but they don't make one bit of difference...! I wonder if there is even a hole at end of it....

I thought I could send a piece of wire through it to see if it goes anywhere, or before throwing it away open it up and see - maybe I can sue them if it's just for show.... lol. ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Agusts said:

On my not expensive Thai helmet I have a vent in front and one at the back, I keep opening and closing them, but they don't make one bit of difference...! I wonder if there is even a hole at end of it....

I thought I could send a piece of wire through it to see if it goes anywhere, or before throwing it away open it up and see - maybe I can sue them if it's just for show.... lol. ????

Those holes also work fantastic when static at the traffic lights.

or you could just adopt the Thai way and don't stop at any red lights ,

just to keep good air flow up through the holes. :giggle:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Or the Thai way of stopping under the overpass before the red light????

Nah, they have all just spotted the police check point near the lights. 

and are hoping to get away with.

no tax, no  insurance, no green book, no Id card, no crash helmet. no working lights, bald tires, gun or Knife under the seat. and so on.

I just love the darlings on the roads of Thailand. :jap:

Edited by Orinoco
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 9:12 AM, Agusts said:

2 helmets. Both have vents open; front top, chin and rear. All vents have holes into the helmet but inside the lining (except the chin vent...). I feel no air flow over my scalp either. Maybe because the wind is close to blood temperature or blocked by the lining or both? Have to wait for a cold day and test this theory.

On 5/10/2022 at 6:18 AM, Kiwithl said:

2 helmets. Both have vents open; front top, chin and rear. All vents have holes into the helmet but inside the lining (except the chin vent...). I feel no air flow over my scalp either. Maybe because the wind is close to blood temperature or blocked by the lining or both? Have to wait for a cold day and test this theory.

I took off my lining to wash and had a good look at that white hard shield inside, there's is no hole in there as I far I can see, so I think even if the air gets in, it won't reach our head directly anyway ...., in any case I wonder if these vents , if properly done, cause even more wind noise...! (No thanks, I get enough wind, and noise, as it is...????)

In my helmets the holes do go through the polystyrene and exit into the lining which seems counter productive. I wonder if good (expensive) helmets have a better method? My helmets are both quite expensive as Thai helmets go but lower end price wise compared to Arai, Shoei, Schuberth etc.

If no airflow I don't think wind noise would be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 6:33 AM, Kiwithl said:

In my helmets the holes do go through the polystyrene and exit into the lining which seems counter productive. I wonder if good (expensive) helmets have a better method? My helmets are both quite expensive as Thai helmets go but lower end price wise compared to Arai, Shoei, Schuberth etc.

If no airflow I don't think wind noise would be a problem.

My O'Neil helmet has vents that open into channels in the lining that go around the head and into a cavity at the back, which then vents out the rear of the shell.  It also has a peak that helps direct more air into the vents.  

It helps with heat and moisture when moving at a reasonable speed, but my head still boils in traffic.

For years I’ve been looking for a battery powered AC suit... 

Something that a power-bank can run for an hour or so... 

But, that tech clearly doesn’t exist otherwise it would had exploded onto numerous different environments from FireFighters to guys working outdoors in middle east to Motorcyclists in hot countries..... 

I've found no cure so far other than ditching the bike, taking the car and dealing with traffic. 

As mentioned...  when the lights stay on hold for 5 mins its already getting too hot the vents do nothing. 

My scorpion ADX-1 has excellent venting which can be felt when in motion, when at the lights my head remains cool. 

I bought this helmet because of the reviews regarding venting and I wasn't disappointed. 

However, it's a narrow fitting helmet, something to consider before buying.