Latest experience at CW with retirement visa extension

I'll be making the annual trip to renew my non imm O retirement visa at CW in the next couple of weeks. Would appreciate any feedback from folks who have been to do the same recently, particularly any news about what they are doing this year to throw people off (TM30, full year bank statement, etc.) as each time it appears to be something new.

Specifically, I would like to know if they have been requiring the full 12 month bank statement which I was told must be ordered in advance from the head branch office. In past years I had provided a 3 or 6 month statement with letter from the bank on the same day as I applied for the extension. Will they still accept the statement if it is provided a few days later?

Also, I just obtained a new passport so I will need to go and transfer the stamps. I was told by an IO that I could do both on the same day at CW. Any advice on how to proceed and with regards to setting up the appointment in the system?

Lastly, my 90-day report is due around the same time I plan to go in. I had read that CW was allowing people to do the 90 day report there with the extension of stay. Not sure if I should wait for that or do the online system with the old passport two weeks in advance before I officially change over to the new passport. 

I certainly appreciate any feedback and advice based on the experience of my fellow expats. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Some random points my experience CW.

Be aware that you can make an appointment and that works a treat. 

My experience:

TM30 and 90 report should not be required.

When I last did my annual extension the io wanted to do the 90 report (was being helpful) I declined the offer.

In your case with new pp it would be good to do the 90 report. Take along receipt of last report. 

Are you using money in the bank method? I was only required to provide photocopies of bank pages and cover page.

I use a dedicated account so transactions are not consolidated.

If they are or your using income method you require bank statements..

Obviously they will only show up to date prior to application.

Obtain bank letter and small deposit. 

I had a lease with me. 

Standard pages of passport photocopies.

ID page, TM6 both sides, most recent entry stamp. Visa if any, etc.

Any annual extension stamps.

Since you renewed your pp also photocopy the first page in new pp where they transfer your visa details from old pp.

They will also require photocopies of some pages of old pp, however that's related to the transfer of stamps etc from old to new pp.

Make sure that your details with your bank are updated. Meaning your new pp #. 

Map of where you live. I do not use hand drawn one..

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes TM30 was never required until a few years ago when I went in and it was their new thing to catch people out and they were fining everyone that didn't have it. Since it was set up and I'm in their system they have never requested it again.

Good to hear they still offer to do the 90-day report so that I can sync with my new passport number and it will save me a trip to the separate immigration office.

I'm using money in the bank method but just have that one account. Last year when I showed the bank book the IO couldn't see exactly the balance for the three months after the last extension so demanded a 12-month bank statement which the bank branch at CW could not provide immediately. I took better care to regularly update the bank book this time so may not have the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone else can comment about this issue whether the 12-month statement is being required recently or not.

For passport copies, I think you mean just ID page of the new passport but same for old passport, copy of last transfer of stamps? and most recent visa extension (last year) as well as TM 6 front and back w/entry stamp, which I will plan to take with me. Did they require any other photocopies? How many prior visa extension stamps in old passport?

Noted regarding the map and if you think of anything else please let me know. I will go to the bank tomorrow and change to the new passport. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I think you mean just ID page of the new passport but same for old passport, copy of last transfer of stamps?

It's slightly confusing as your doing the transfer of any stamp immediately prior to obtaining extension. 

Let's say the transfer was already done.

In the new passport on first page they will make details of your non O visa. Any information relating to that visa. You provide photocopy of that.

BTW there is a photocopy, print etc stall on lower level near the banks. 

OK so does it mean that I will make an appointment to do the annual extension as usual and during the process they will take the new passport, do the stamp transfer first and then put the new extension of stay stamp in the new passport at the same counter? 

Did you use the online appointment system or just go there early?

Without a clearer understanding of the timings, and based on my interpretation of the OP's timeline I might

transfer the stamps

do a 90 day report

apply for the extension

Assuming 800,000 MiB method, I'd get a 12 month statement, predating the application date by 7 days or fewer along with an account ownership letter (7 days age as well) and a same day B/F in the passbook.

Haven't seen any reports of new hurdles.

Maybe book a 10:30 ret ext appointment? Gives you enough time to accomplish the other tasks, and make copies.

Thanks for the input. I am thinking that would work best unless anyone else has any different experience they would like to share. 

In that case I will go to the bank tomorrow to change my passport and order the 12-month statement and get the account letter on the same day I pick up the statement. Then I'll go to immigration the same week with the rest of the documents. Much appreciated.

Joe, thanks for the update. Does it mean I will need to queue in three separate lines then: One to change stamps from old to new passport, one for extension of stay and the other for 90 day reports? Any idea how it works with the appointment system? Or should I just go very early in the morning and plan to spend all day getting it done?

8 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Does it mean I will need to queue in three separate lines then: One to change stamps from old to new passport, one for extension of stay and the other for 90 day reports?

You will probably have to do all 3 of the separately.

You could make a appointment for the 90 day report and your extension.

See: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/ImmigrationOfficeGovernmentComplexChaengWattanaRd@imm1division.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/

In that case I'm wondering if I might not be better off doing the 90 day report online using the old passport number first (I'm almost in the 14 day window as of today). Then I can deal with the stamp transfer and extension of stay issues only when I go in.

I just had such a difficult time when the 90 day online reports kept getting screwed up after I had done the extension of stay last year with the system showing me on overstay. I'm wondering if the new online system will be able to accept the new passport number from the next time on or if I'm better off waiting and having them sync everything at CW at the same time.

19 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

In that case I'm wondering if I might not be better off doing the 90 day report online using the old passport number first (I'm almost in the 14 day window as of today). Then I can deal with the stamp transfer and extension of stay issues only when I go in.

You could do that to save some time at CW.

19 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I just had such a difficult time when the 90 day online reports kept getting screwed up after I had done the extension of stay last year with the system showing me on overstay. I'm wondering if the new online system will be able to accept the new passport number from the next time on or if I'm better off waiting and having them sync everything at CW at the same time.

It should not be a problem with new system. It does not have the preapproval that created problems before.

6 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Thanks Joe. That's really good news and I will give it a try. Is the online reporting window same as before (from 14 days to 7 days before the stamped date)?

14 prior and up to due date. 

Previously up to 7 days before due date.

I recently had success using new system after many failures with old online system.

Edited by DrJack54

Just filled out the 90 day report online and it seems to have gone through. I had filled out all the information requested and got an e-mail response which had attached an autofilled TM 47 form but some of the information is missing like the TM6 number (it asked only arrival date and permitted to stay until date).

Have I done it correctly and will they send me the approval in a few days like used to happen before?

22 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

Have I done it correctly and will they send me the approval in a few days like used to happen before?

Yes you have done it correctly. They will send a approval email with the receipt for it or a rejection email.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scooby Snacks said:

form but some of the information is missing like the TM6 number

Pretty sure that the tm6 info isn't required with new system.

BTW ...my approval took couple of days. I literally am still in shock.

2 minutes ago, Scooby Snacks said:

The online appointment systems seems to be down last few days. Is that because of holidays?

It opened for me.

Link for Chaeng Wattana if that is the office you are using. 

https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/ImmigrationOfficeGovernmentComplexChaengWattanaRd@imm1division.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:22 AM, Scooby Snacks said:

Yes TM30 was never required until a few years ago when I went in and it was their new thing to catch people out and they were fining everyone that didn't have it. Since it was set up and I'm in their system they have never requested it again.

Good to hear they still offer to do the 90-day report so that I can sync with my new passport number and it will save me a trip to the separate immigration office.

I'm using money in the bank method but just have that one account. Last year when I showed the bank book the IO couldn't see exactly the balance for the three months after the last extension so demanded a 12-month bank statement which the bank branch at CW could not provide immediately. I took better care to regularly update the bank book this time so may not have the same problem. I'm wondering if anyone else can comment about this issue whether the 12-month statement is being required recently or not.

For passport copies, I think you mean just ID page of the new passport but same for old passport, copy of last transfer of stamps? and most recent visa extension (last year) as well as TM 6 front and back w/entry stamp, which I will plan to take with me. Did they require any other photocopies? How many prior visa extension stamps in old passport?

Noted regarding the map and if you think of anything else please let me know. I will go to the bank tomorrow and change to the new passport. Cheers.

Yes, it is.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scooby Snacks said:

I think his comment was that 12-month bank statement is currently required at CW. Thanks for the heads up. I've ordered mine last week and will pick it up at the bank on Friday or next Monday. 

Yes. The 12 month bank statement is still required at Chaengwattana for Extension of Stay, because the passbook, if not regularly updated, can amalgamate activity, and not provide a complete activity picture, and IMM need to check that you've kept the requisite funds in for the required time, before and after extension.

I posted my experience of renewing NON-O based on bank method at CW last week, see

'Experience retirement extension at CW (bank method, NON-O)'.

There was no request for TM.30 or 12-month bank statements. Just make sure that entries in your bankbook have not been 'lumped' (happens at some banks if there are many transactions). Last week they were checking on their computer at the L1-counters if 90-day report had been done and they then printed it out.

5 minutes ago, samtam said:

Yes. The 12 month bank statement is still required at Chaengwattana for Extension of Stay, because the passbook, if not regularly updated, can amalgamate activity, and not provide a complete activity picture, and IMM need to check that you've kept the requisite funds in for the required time, before and after extension.

You make it sound that bank statements required for money in bank method and also for income method.

I use money in bank method method and have never provided bank statements.

An important thing is to have a designated account for immigration purposes.

When using an everyday bank account, then yes transactions can be consolidated.

Easy to avoid that. 

Yes, money in bank, savings passbook, needs to be supported by bank statement for preceding 12 months prior to extension of stay, as I experienced last week at CW*. I use a dedicated savings passbook account with THB800K all year round. Only transactions are interest accrual. *I provide this because my agent tells me it's a requirement, so I assume he knows. If you have a different experience, whereby you do not require bank statements for money in the bank, then it's good to know, but as in "recollections may differ", "experiences may differ". My bank confirmed that they issue the bank statements all the time because it's an IMM requirement, another fee, on top of the bank letter fee.

I just get what the agent asks me, and the 20 minutes at CW is well worth his fee.

Edited by samtam
  • Haha 1

I am not exaggerating when I say that the contents of this thread are what finally drove me out of LoS as a "retiree".

They have moved the goalposts ever since the business-minded "Tony Woodsome" came up with the initially brilliant retirement visa/elite visa concept. 

I'm still young enough to re-enter my profession, and I just don't trust these militaristic nationalists to not one day turn on the entire expat community -that are not entrepreneurs or sent here by head office- and simply say the party is over.

There is absolutely nothing, not even a Thai marriage, that gives us any basic ongoing security whatsoever. 

I chose to jump, because we may well be pushed at any moment. 

Don't rely on logic from these guys to save you; as if!

50 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

I am not exaggerating when I say that the contents of this thread are what finally drove me out of LoS as a "retiree".

I find extensions based on retirement similar to a teddy bear picnic.

Nothing difficult. 

• Confused 1