Confused by New Mobile Internet Packages (TrueMove H)

Stubby

Morning, Folks.

Every two months for the past few years, I head down to my local phone shop to renew my mobile internet. My ISP is TRUE, and my internet package was 12GB 60 days for 400 Baht. That's 6GB for 30 days that auto-renewed. 

Anyway, the last time I went to the shop, they said my promotion had ended. I had no idea it was a promotion as I've been using it for years. The replacement package was 600 Baht for 60 days (auto-renew), although it was supposedly faster and unlimited. The thing is, I didn't even use the 6GB from the old package, and the speed was perfectly adequate for my usage.

Anyway, I paid up and didn't think any more about it until this morning. It seems that the 30 days expired a few days ago, and the phone then switched to my call credit which has taken it down to 0 Baht. I didn't get SMS notifications about either of the above. Or maybe I did but delted them as spam as I get a lot of that daily from TRUE.

There are so many ongoing packages and promotions I don't know what I'm looking at. So I'm asking for advice from those who are better educated than me on simplifying this prepaid mobile internet malarkey so that I can choose a seamless package.

Thank you in advance,

Stubby

3 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

maybe I'm getting ripped off.

10 g speed, unlimited data, 400 baht a month.  

I didn't know they had 12........should talk to them today.   

I have AIS unlimited 10mbps for 150 a month, that's the kind of price you're looking for

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

So I'm asking for advice

How much data do you use? You can check past usage, Settings, Network & internet, Internet, Data usage, choose a date range.

What is your budget?

Do you make voice calls? Send SMSes?

Do you need to keep a specific number? And then add on a data package?

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

How much data do you use? You can check past usage, Settings, Network & internet, Internet, Data usage, choose a date range.

What is your budget?

Do you make voice calls? Send SMSes?

Do you need to keep a specific number? And then add on a data package?

Hi, folks; thanks for the replies.

I have my usual phone balance for making calls, SMS, etc. But if I use that for the internet, it eats the phone credit in minutes. That's why I have a separate internet package for online use, which is very light. 

I only use mobile internet for the occasional search on Google, weather checks, and listening to UK radio stations. That's about it, and I don't think I've ever gone over the 6GB allowance on the previous package. I'm not a skinflint, but I don't want to pay for services and speeds I don't need.

At home, I have WiFi, so I don't even use the mobile internet indoors. The old package was for 60 days, which auto-renewed after 30 days. I would then revisit the shop to top up another 60 days. But last time, I got very confused with what they were trying to tell/sell me. And the TrueMove H website confuses me even more, hence this post.

I've had this True sim and number for a while, so I want to keep that. Does that mean I have to choose a True mobile internet package?

Stubby

Adjacent thread ahs some info for you.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1258165-truemove-h-pre-paid-data-codes-anyone-have-a-good-plan/

Without any detail re: usage/budget it's a <deleted> shoot.

Maybe 5 GB auto-renew for 199/month? 

https://www.true.th/truemoveh/site/topping/upgrade_options?package_id=625&priceplan_id=2424

Look through options on the True mobile app.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I've had this True sim and number for a while, so I want to keep that. Does that mean I have to choose a True mobile internet package?

There is no need to stay with True if one of the others has a better package for your usage. You can move the number to a new provider. The sim itself  may have some data on it but you can always move that onto the phone.

My current AIS package is 3GB Data and 150 minutes call for ฿199 per month. If I exceed the data the speed drops to 128kb, I almost never do.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

10 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My current AIS package is 3GB Data and 150 minutes call for ฿199 per month.

Prepaid? Postpaid? Still available? Link to description?

Yes, you can port out, called Mobile Number Portability (MNP), from one provider to another allowing you to keep your number.

I didn't want to mention this as the OP isn't really sure what he needs, and porting can be complicated. Nearly all plans can be found on all three providers, so porting is not that big a thing.

https://www.ais.th/move-to-ais/en/

If possible going there in person with someone who speaks Thai will avail you to the best packages.

I routinely change because there's always cheaper packages. 

If you don't ask they won't tell you.

It's all very confusing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

If possible going there in person with someone who speaks Thai will avail you to the best packages.

It's all very confusing.

So true. And when you think you've understood, you realize later that you agreed to something completely different. That goes for a lot of things, not only smartphones and data.

UPDATE

Thanks for all your help, everybody. It seems that there are other choices than the 600B plan, after all. I must have overcomplicated my options or allowed the girls in the shop to confuse me. The first link that @mtls2005 points to is about the same as I had with a 1GB loss. That should do it. 

OVER TO THE TRUEMOVE H LINK

I just learned something else. I always thought you had to go into the phone shop to top up mobile internet. But I dialed the number on the bottom of the screen, and it sent me a password to enter. I did that, and True immediately deducted the money from my regular mobile credit. So, all I have to do now is make sure I have enough balance each month for the auto-renewal. Sorted! 

BETTER THAN BEFORE

Also, this deal might even be better than my old one because it says something about 5GB at max speed. But if I use 5GB before the 30 days is up, I still have internet access at a slower 128kbps. If I understand it right, that's an even better deal than before.

I couldn't be happier, so thanks once again, folks ????

Stubby

Edited by Stubby

57 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My current AIS package is 3GB Data and 150 minutes call for ฿199 per month.

I can't find that plan.

Prepaid right?

Can you provide a link, not a photo?

It looks like it's a promo, discounted from 399 to 199, not sure if it's available to anyone?

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

So which plan did you subscribe to? And what was the price?

5GB data | Package Type: Auto-renew | Validity 30 days

Package Price: 199.00 ฿
VAT 7%: 13.93 ฿

Total: 212.93 ฿

Stubby

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

I can't find that plan.

Prepaid right?

Can you provide a link, not a photo?

It looks like it's a promo, discounted from 399 to 199, not sure if it's available to anyone?

Post paid, just renewed for year 3 at the same rate, contact 1175. Possibly only available for long term customers and maybe only from the call centre. possibly a switching from pre to post discount IDR 

I also have a second data sim at 99 Baht with 2GB data for my iPad 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

5 hours ago, Stubby said:

So true. And when you think you've understood, you realize later that you agreed to something completely different. That goes for a lot of things, not only smartphones and data.

I always drag my wife into the TRUE store in one of the big malls.

I ended cutting my phone bill and WiFi at home in half.  

I don't get very far by myself.  I'm not very patient and my Thai is horrible.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

It's all very confusing.

I went to DTAC with my girlfriend who speaks very limited English. She was no help at all (except to the saleslady). I ended up paying about 600 baht a month for a plan which seems to run out before the end of the month. I am aware that I can probably get a better deal, but I have been too lazy to go through the process of getting new plan. DTAC and AIS routinely depend on the ignorance of people like me in order to overcharge for inferior service. I was happy with the old system of buying extra minutes from DTAC at Seven-Eleven, but for some reason they ended that option. A deliberately confusing system designed to separate you from your cash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1