Thailand To Start Charging An Entry Fee From August

webfact

screenshot_17661.jpg

BY: VINICIUS COSTA

Thailand is finally reopening for tourism after two years of consecutive border closures and complex entry restrictions. Even though it is slowly coming out of its shell and allowing more foreigners to visit again, the entry process for Thailand is bound to undergo some permanent changes, as the country intends to start charging an entry fee from August.

Similarly to the Italian hotspot of Venice, which will begin taxing visitors from summer 2022, Thai authorities proposed their own ‘tourist tax’ back in January, in hopes the system would have come into force by April. Due to delays, this never materialized, though it is now likely the fee will be applied from the third quarter of the year.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

While there are still some unanswered questions, as the measure is yet to be implemented, and it is far from being unanimous, here is everything we do know so far about Thailand’s proposed new entry fee.

Full story: https://www.traveloffpath.com/thailand-to-start-charging-an-entry-fee-from-august/

tp.jpg

-- © Copyright Travel OFF Path 2022-05-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

It used to be that at the top companies and Govt departments there was one or more very high level person overseeing things and who could identify what needed to be done to make things work/stop poorly thought through policies. I just don't think those people are there anymore.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

here is everything we do know so far about Thailand’s proposed new entry fee.

According to senior officials, the fee will ‘help develop attractions’ and cover insurance costs for foreigners unable to pay for health emergencies when traveling in the country.

So first off they require 10k insurance for Covid

Most folks buy travel insurance anyway but

If this is as they say to pay for health emergencies for those unable to pay

Should the customers/travelers not therefore get a policy of sorts?

Not unlike the old days when they sold those cheap policies from vending machines

at airports before you got on the plane

I mean if your selling forcing insurance on travelers should we not have the policy in hand in case of emergency?

Or do we lay in some hospital purgatory while the wheels of this govt grind out an thumbs up or down answer??

Explaining this, senior government official Mongkon Wimonrat revealed the fee will be

collected via a dedicated webpage, ‘which airlines will be required to adopt’.

Last but not least, being directed to yet another screen to pay? This is obviously to get that money to the trough that

it is supposed to go directly to but, Have they not realized not many want a credit card to be used on a likely less than secure transaction

Not to mention they are pushing their luck asking airlines eventually to jump thru yet another hoop.

I think airlines like British Airways will not be returning too soon

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, garyk said:

How Will Thailand’s New Taxing System Work?

1st year; One for you, one for me

2nd year; One for you, two for me

3rd year;  None for you, three for me..

Correction.... 1st month. 2nd month, 3rd monthand the rest of coming years

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

So they removed some fiddly paperwork only to add another, why didn't they included the 300 baht in the ticket price? what is it with the love affair of filling more documents and adding more hassles and costs to people who just want to visit their country?...

Perhaps the airline industry declined to make a charge which was only to be applied to foreigners, not all travellers?

I wonder what the  hospitals will say to the unfortunate tourists that have an accident and try to claim on this.

At least we shouldn't hear any more whinging from the gov't about uninsured farangs being a burden on the system

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, NE1 said:

But certain individuals wouldn't be able to get their grubby little hands on it , if it is paid into a separate account it is easier to gain access.

Exactly

24 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I wonder what the  hospitals will say to the unfortunate tourists that have an accident and try to claim on this.

At least we shouldn't hear any more whinging from the gov't about uninsured farangs being a burden on the system

"local media have suggested it will ‘only be for specified misfortunes, such as death’."

It is just meant to look like health insurance cover when it seemingly just covers the cost of cremation of those who die here.

5 hours ago, RandiRona said:

"Once buying their tickets, travelers will then be directed to an additional screen where they will be able to pay the fee, which is set to become mandatory ‘from August or September’."

I'm not sure I'd trust "travel off the path" for details on implementation?

I think they're off the mark.

The simplest thing to do would be to increase the PSC from 700 baht to 1,000 baht and then have AoT/CAAT skim off the 300 and forward it the MoTaS's permanent secretary for "safe" keeping.

Other reports talk of a new line item for the 300 baht, which the global GDSes will embed in the total ticket price.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, phetphet said:

This isn't insurance. It's a slush fund, a pool really, ok a massive Gulf.

Hospitals with unpaid medical expenses by tourists will make a claim to the Ministry of Tourism and Sport.

Yes, it will be messy.

Much champing on the bit for this one. Mia nois don't work for free.

Edited by mtls2005

Unlike the border traffic between Cambodia, resp. Laos and Thailand ..... the dirty farang and alien have a choice and certainly will make use of it. 
The cross boarders got nicely shafted with some funny tests, available at Makro for 45-50 Baht by shelling out 700 Baht. There is no possibility to buy a governmentally imposed mandatory insurance policy - in short - the usual mess for which this country is known meanwhile for 20+ years. 

Venice has millions of daytime visitors, i.e. they roam the city like crickets in the morning and leave in the evening; by car, rail or by cruise liner. To keep up with the infrastructure, they charge a tax like in Thailand you pay for each and every "historical site" an access fee, locals usually 50% - 90% less than the alien from outer space. So, compare apples with apples as only those border crossers from Cambodia and Laos are daytime visitors (for massive shopping = leaving 80% to 90% of the revenue of places like Nong Khai behind). 

Put the entry fee of whatever into place and see what will happen. As this reflects, in purchase power, something like (formerly one day) 60% of a daily minimum wage I would suggest, that Von der Leyen in Brussels introduces an arrival fee for the semi-divine Khon Thai of the same purchase power in the respective European country they land. 

Just wondering, whose pockets are being lined this time round ......... 

• Like 1

W T F.....are they taking classes in how to make things more complex for tourists? If they want to add a tax, add it in flight ticket and manage it from there. Just think about everyone carrying proof of payments and barcodes...

they already did with the flight ticket, now they just a little confused how to scam for another 300

32 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Unlike the border traffic

In theory, this 300 baht fee could be charged at a land border. And for select nationalities, with citizens of neighboring countries, and thais of course, being exempt.

Obviously the 700 baht PSC is not charged at land borders.

Back in the old days, did they charge the 500 baht cash departure tax at land borders when leaving?