Transiting in Suwanapumi. Do i need a Thai Travel Pass?

Hi everybody, apologies in advance if somebody has already asked this question but anyway here goes…I'm flying from Kathmandu to Suwannapumi and then I have a 190 minute break before flying on to Phnom Penh.  I am fully vaccinated, and I can show this in a  International Vaccination Certificate. Also, I have no luggage to check in. So, If I check in online with BKK Airways, can I just stay in transit for the 90 minutes (in between arriving from Kathmandu and leaving for Phnom Penh)? Is it necessary for me to go through immigration? (I don’t want to go thru immigration cos then I'm going to need a Thailand Travel Pass). Your suggestions would be gratefully received.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You do need proof of $10,000 medical insurance and proof of being vaccinated.

But the reference you quote says "You do need proof of $10,000 medical insurance OR proof of being vaccinated."

So I read it that insurance is not needed if vaccinated?

14 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

But the reference you quote says "You do need proof of $10,000 medical insurance OR proof of being vaccinated."

So I read it that insurance is not needed if vaccinated?

You are reading it wrong. Everything is and except for the vaccination certificate or RT-PCR covid 19 test.

• Confused 1

Will you have to check in for your onward flight again? 

Or can you check in ‘air-side’ and a transit desk ?

If your are flying BKK to Phnom Penh with Thai Airways they will have a transit desk - but you still really need to check this directly with the airline. 

So... the outstanding question really is...  Does your airline have a ‘transit desk’ airside at Suvarnabumi Airport. 

Safest Option: 

Get the Thailand Pass - It costs you nothing extra than a little time. 

As you are transiting you’ll need the insurance anyway (650 baht), thus, spend an extra 10 mins apply for a Thailand Pass just in case something goes sideways and you need it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You are reading it wrong. Everything is and except for the vaccination certificate or RT-PCR covid 19 test.

So is it Vax Certificate OR insurance OR PCR test?

17 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So is it Vax Certificate OR insurance OR PCR test?

No

It is vaccination certificate or RT-PCR covid 19 test and $10,000 US covid 19 insurance coverage.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Well who's to say you are reading it correctly, or do you have some other source of info to confirm your interpretation?

The government link you sent even has the Thai language which suggests a vaccine cert negates need for insurance if in transit to another country, which makes sense. I mean why would someone need 10kUSD insurance if vaccinated and just in transit not entering Thailand?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:
12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Well who's to say you are reading it correctly, or do you have some other source of info to confirm your interpretation?

The government link you sent even has the Thai language which suggests a vaccine cert negates need for insurance if in transit to another country, which makes sense. I mean why would someone need 10kUSD insurance if vaccinated and just in transit not entering Thailand?

The language used the MFA FAQ site is unambiguous. 

https://consular.mfa.go.th/th/content/thailand-pass-faqs-2

You must have a proof of insurance with minimum coverage of at least 10,000 USD and COVID-19 test result (RT-PCR), issued within 72 hours before your travel or a certificate of vaccination.

1) You must have proof of insurance (US$10,000)

AND

2) either a) RT PCR result (<72 hrs), OR b) Vaccination Certification. 

Digitalbanana...  The statement is clear, there is no interpretation to be made, there is no ambiguity.

• Like 1

Would suggest to do the now easy Thai Pass.

Otherwise you could be in trouble if :

- Any delay ending in missed connected flight

- No transfer desk or whatever you may need to stress about

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The language used the MFA FAQ site is unambiguous. 

1) You must have proof of insurance (US$10,000)

AND

2) either a) RT PCR result (<72 hrs), OR b) Vaccination Certification. 

Digitalbanana...  The statement is clear, there is no interpretation to be made, there is no ambiguity.

If only there were a comma after...'before you travel'. That would, in English, change the whole meaning.

On 5/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, chchkk said:

Ill be on different airlines. But then, that probably shouldn't really matter right?

If it's not ticketed through to Phnom Penh on one booking then the airline from Kathmandu may refuse you boarding.  They would be contracted to take you to BKK only and you wouldn't meet the requirements to go there.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:33 AM, chchkk said:

Thx for the speedy reply. Ill be on different airlines. But then, that probably shouldn't really matter right?.

It may make a big difference in terms of whether you can check through at the point of departure.

If you cannot, as others said, you might then not be able to board the flight without a Thailand Pass. And might have to pass immigration if there is no airline counter with check in within the transit area.

Bangkok airways online check in cannot be done for international flights. (You find that out only when you try to do it, it does nto tell you this in advance; you'll even get emails asking you to check in online).

The only additional expense involved in getting Thailand Pass these days is insurance for those who do nto already have it. Since the same insurance requirement applies if transitting, you might as well apply for TP IMO.