How To Find an Alternative Place to Stay?

Dear Friends,

I am looking for a place to stay, and I do not mean a condo, nor a guesthouse, nor any sort of house that most Estate Agents might be familiar with.

What I am seeking is sort of like a solidly built structure, one single very large room, in the middle of a field, well removed from neighbors, yet close enough to the city.

A structure such as this could be easy to find in my home country.  Yet, here, I lack the contacts to find this type of thing, just by contacting realty agents, or so it seems.

Of course, I can guess what you may be thinking.  You might be thinking something like...why should we help you?

The answer to this question is that, this is an open forum.  And, if you can help me by suggesting ways to find atypical places to rent or buy, then doing this will certainly help the next guy who may be seeking the same sort of layout as I.

It really does not matter what city I am in, because I could be in any major city in Thailand.

My question is just.... What might be the best way to find such an alternative "house" in which to live.

My dream place would be a fairly large single room, made of concrete or brick.

Something with a toilet and a shower.

Maybe a small cooking area.

Several large windows.

Good insulation on the roof.

Plenty of fields around the place.  Or, maybe just land overgrown with weeds and trees.

The interior would be about this size, 220 square meters....for example, .... and unfinished, as is pictured here:

1560588232_download(3).jpg.e025943b5c98822f24a280432a15c4bc.jpg

Any thoughts?

There is no doubt that many of you might be looking for the same sort of digs.

For some, such a thing might not be so dreamy.

However, for me, this kind of living holds special appeal.

Maybe someone here can reply constructively to this serious question.

Regards,

Glob

Note:  Why post here and not in the Real Estate section?  Because, if you check out the profiles of people who post here, then you will see that many here have lived in Thailand almost as long as I have been alive.  And, people here know a lot.  And, very many were born here.  This is why.

3 minutes ago, RandiRona said:

Waiting for you to reply to your own post so that I can check if that kind of place does exist.....????????????????

No doubt these places exist.

The only question is...how does one find one.

Thank you.

Please note, living in a place like this, in New York City, might cost you about USD20,000 per month (much more, probably).

So, please do not look down your nose on this sort of alternative housing, when it should be able to be had for a lot less in Thailand.

Thank you.

1560588232_download(3).jpg.e025943b5c98822f24a280432a15c4bc.jpg

I mean, it is just a matter of taste.

Each to their own flavor, right?

As for me, this is a place in which I could feel at home, IF there was land around it.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

we built our own Mansion as you described. Raw building cost about 1 million. 

Was it one very, very large room?

Plenty of insulation on the roof?

Large windows.

Fields around?

Do you have photos, please?

Please share.

Many might be interested.

Thank you.

13 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Find inspiration google farm house thailand

Something alike this

https://livingasean.com/house/modern-country-house-among-fruit-farms/

Thank you.

Quite spectacular in its beauty, the image you have provided.

However, far too upscale for me.

I am looking for something like some concrete grain storage area, maybe.... something like you might see in China.

Some sort of large concrete structure of about 150 square meters.

One large single area, as I have pictured in my original topic.

Probably, something exactly like this cannot be found in Thailand.

However, some nearest approximation is what I had envisioned.

And, how to find?

Not sure.

Because, if you go on the Real Estate sites, no one seems to be looking for a place such as this.

Everybody wants a pool, as well as many other worthless baubles, such as a jacuzzi pool.  I, on the other hand, have no need for a jacuzzi, being single and celibate.

Just looking for some out-of-the-way place, one which has strong walls and an insulated roof, just one very large room....  I.e. something you might think of when you think of a loft in New York City, but definitely not anything you might see in the Hamptons.

Thank you.

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Thank you.

Quite spectacular in its beauty, the image you have provided.

However, far too upscale for me.

I am looking for something like some concrete grain storage area, maybe.... something like you might see in China.

Some sort of large concrete structure of about 150 square meters.

One large single area, as I have pictured in my original topic.

Probably, something exactly like this cannot be found in Thailand.

However, some nearest approximation is what I had envisioned.

And, how to find?

Not sure.

Because, if you go on the Real Estate sites, no one seems to be looking for a place such as this.

Everybody wants a pool, as well as many other worthless baubles, such as a jacuzzi pool.  I, on the other hand, have no need for a jacuzzi, being single and celibate.

Just looking for some out-of-the-way place, one which has strong walls and an insulated roof, just one very large room....  I.e. something you might think of when you think of a loft in New York City, but definitely not anything you might see in the Hamptons.

Thank you.

Easiest to build what you want yourself, not many people dear to live alone outside the village without security. We live with the national park behind and rice fields in front surrounded with mountains in the distance. No close neighbors. Most noise come from insects and frogs

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Easiest to build what you want yourself, not many people dear to live alone outside the village without security. We live with the national park behind and rice fields in front surrounded with mountains in the distance. No close neighbors. Most noise come from insects and frogs

Sounds nice.

Why do you say that not many people dare to live alone outside the village without security?  Just curious...

4 minutes ago, sipi said:

There's heaps. This is just one.

IMG20220505045247.jpg

Looks nice.

This is what many, but not all, people might be looking for.

And, when you say "heaps", one naturally cannot but think of this other image...

2034289466_Fred_Barnard07(1).jpg.7500c1d3bbe643c00dd3a34264ab2b91.jpg

I would guess that many who dream of coming to Thailand also dream of living in a tin shack, with so much greenery around.

Heaven to some, might be hell to others.

However, so honestly, as for me, this tin shack looks grand.

In order to move into a shack like this, then one would need to move further out, farther away from the city, something that I have been very hesitant to do, so far.  Now, I am considering doing so.

And, in this case, then one might first need to check with the internet company, in order to ensure reliable service.

I may be a newbie to TV, but I am not a newbie to Asia, and I have lived is some very remote places, and loved it.

One thing which concerns me most, and this is no joke.

I worry about roosters.

Barking dogs do not bother me.

However, roosters are utterly intolerable. 

And, almost everywhere I go, there are always roosters.

Don't know why.

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sounds nice.

Why do you say that not many people dare to live alone outside the village without security?  Just curious...

Ghost and afraid of criminals.

Our farm have always someone home, never leave it alone, not even during the day. I believe it is ok, but not my family. Father in law have slept there with his gun since day one we started building until we could move in. They wanted us to buy a gun to, but I feel okay, and we have 3 dogs now to let us know if somebody coming close to our land.

20 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Ghost and afraid of criminals.

Our farm have always someone home, never leave it alone, not even during the day. I believe it is ok, but not my family. Father in law have slept there with his gun since day one we started building until we could move in. They wanted us to buy a gun to, but I feel okay, and we have 3 dogs now to let us know if somebody coming close to our land.

Interesting, for sure.

Also, in truth, this is something that I was not aware of.

(Although, I have been aware of the fact that most people are afraid of ghosts, even though they might not admit it to a farang.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

What you describe almost sounds like a barn or workshop building. You might try looking at farms to see if they have such building to rent.

You might have to be prepared to install shower and cooking facilities yourself.

• Thanks 1

The contradiction is that you seem to want land and fields, which are expensive, and yet be near or in a city... there are such places outside a city, not easy to find inside a city and if you find some land, it will be expensive. 

I live 30-40 minutes outside of CM and surely there are such buildings, old farm buildings but the owners might not have considered them suitable for housing... and would need some renovation to become livable. 

Do you have a budget for fixing up a place - or rental price.. ?? 

There are places I know of that offer fields but maybe not as much space and privacy as they are built in the rice fields but part of a compound w/an owners house - and a couple of rentals... the rental homes are 1 bedroom houses, not too big and 10,000 a month... definitely transportation needed. 

20 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The contradiction is that you seem to want land and fields, which are expensive, and yet be near or in a city... there are such places outside a city, not easy to find inside a city and if you find some land, it will be expensive. 

I live 30-40 minutes outside of CM and surely there are such buildings, old farm buildings but the owners might not have considered them suitable for housing... and would need some renovation to become livable. 

Do you have a budget for fixing up a place - or rental price.. ?? 

There are places I know of that offer fields but maybe not as much space and privacy as they are built in the rice fields but part of a compound w/an owners house - and a couple of rentals... the rental homes are 1 bedroom houses, not too big and 10,000 a month... definitely transportation needed. 

No need to be "too" close to a city.  But, also, not too far away, either. (10 Kliks is OK)

Bt.10,000 would be fine for such a place.

Edited by GammaGlobulin