Video: Intruder faces death sentence after security breach at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

vs.jpg

video screenshot

Thai Rath reported on the fallout from the security breach at Suvarnabhumi airport on Tuesday when an armed man broke into an airplane parking area.

Dramatic video showed the moments when the man on a motorcycle went through a control post as another official vehicle arrived.

Fast forward to inside the airport corridors as a chase ensued that resulted in a door being shut that trapped the suspect wielding an axe.

He smashed a door and then was forcibly taken into custody. 

He has been charged with airport trespass, a crime so serious that it potentially carries the death penalty. 

Airport chief Kittipong Kittikhajorn said the drama started at 11.50 am. Security used CCTV to track the intruder's movements.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

He said force was needed to take down the suspect because he was armed. 

He was taken into custody by 12.03 pm.

The suspect was aged 34 and high on drugs.

He had a toy gun as well as an axe and scissors and one yaba tablet.

Passenger services were not affected, said Kittipong, and everything was handled according to security protocols.

Both the suspect and security staff needed hospital treatment for minor injuries. 

He has been charged with armed trespass at the airport, a charge with the potential for the death penalty or 15-20 years in jail and fines of 600,000 to 800,000 baht. 

He also faces assault and criminal damage charges. 

Kittipong was at pains to point out that everything was done to ensure the safety of security staff and passengers at the airport. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Another crazy on yabba, this yabba problem is massively out of control in Thailand.

Why do people take yabba if it makes them go crazy? I thought the whole idea of getting off one's face was that it made you feel fantastic. Or maybe it's the eventual craving for more that puts addicts over the edge? I've been in Thailand for many years, yet I'm still ignorant of this societal menace.

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Why do people take yabba if it makes them go crazy? I thought the whole idea of getting off one's face was that it made you feel fantastic. Or maybe it's the eventual craving for more that puts addicts over the edge? I've been in Thailand for many years, yet I'm still ignorant of this societal menace.

not much different to alcohol in that respect,   many people enjoy the effects with no problems , whereas others..............

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

not much different to alcohol in that respect,   many people enjoy the effects with no problems , whereas others..............

Fair enough. So you're saying that most people who take yabba for occasional recreational use enjoy it without severe consequences? From what I've read, one in ten drinkers become alcoholics. Maybe that's a similar statistic for addicts in general. However, there will be the so-called problem drinkers (borderline alkies) in between. I'm surprised yabba is still a problem in Thailand, though. I thought its price went through the roof in Taksin's reign. 

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Breaking into an airport is more serious than actual murder..?

I guess now we all know property is more important than people.

It might actually be because blowing up an aircraft could cost the lives of hundreds on board, or the fires spreading to other aircraft, in this case there was no bomb or other explosive device involved, pure good luck.

I am not in favour of the death penalty under any circumstance, however I understand the about aircraft, airports and terrorists

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand..

Scamming, pillaging, looting, shooting, killing, stabbing - mai pen rai

Running crazed through an airport runway - YOU MUST DIE!

This is what happens when the inmates take over the nuthouse.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1