Hua Hin: It’s time to put the sleepy narrative to bed

On 5/7/2022 at 7:39 AM, JimHuaHin said:

Agreed on the ring road idea.

I do not totally agree that the Pran Buri - Cha Am By-pass Road is a Hua Hin Ring Road.  The By-pass Road is great for traffic travelling from south of Pran Buri to north of Cha Am, and visa-a-versa., but not for those wishing to travel between south and north Hua Hin.

A ring road connecting south Hua Hin, say from Soi 112, to north Hua Hin, say around the aiport or Hua Hin Hospital area, would alleviate most of the congestion along Phetchakasem Road in Hua Hin city.

Agree ... Such a lost opportunity, could have put a road alongside the railway tracks when developing the dual-rail fast train project. There seems to be available land along many sections of the rail line and some short stretches of minor roads currently exist for short lengths.

The city planning officials could help in the short term by synchronising traffic lights on Phetkasem Rd. It's frustrating to wait three cycles to get through Soi 70 lights only to travel mere metres before joining the line waiting at the next set. 

On 5/7/2022 at 5:53 AM, leither69 said:

Pointless post, clickbait.  Hua Hin is a great little town, lived there for years.  It is what it is, live there or live elsewhere, simple!!

yes it's so great that you are not living there anymore... it says a lot !

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2022 at 11:15 AM, Andrew65 said:

Just like Pattaya once was, HH was once a sleepy seaside town.

It's all relative.  Quite sleepy compared to Patts and Patong.   But busier than many other seaside towns.  I still wouldn't consider it a vibrant holiday location, since more family & geriatric people holiday there.

News-blip does point out; "Hua Hin isn’t, and probably never will be, Miami, Ibiza, Phuket or even Koh Samui."

A very good thing, as the infrastructure can't keep up with the present congestion.

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's all relative.  Quite sleepy compared to Patts and Patong.   But busier than many other seaside towns.  I still wouldn't consider it a vibrant holiday location, since more family & geriatric people holiday there.

News-blip does point out; "Hua Hin isn’t, and probably never will be, Miami, Ibiza, Phuket or even Koh Samui."

A very good thing, as the infrastructure can't keep up with the present congestion.

Pattaya's pretty much Soi Cowboy-on-Sea.

When I first holidayed in Thailand in '85, the tour operator Kuoni stated that "We do not consider Pattaya as being suitable for family holidays".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Pattaya's pretty much Soi Cowboy-on-Sea.

When I first holidayed in Thailand in '85, the tour operator Kuoni stated that "We do not consider Pattaya as being suitable for family holidays".

It's better now, but still not something I'd take the family to.  Phuket wins hands down for family seaside holiday, just not Bangla rd, which is a very small part of the island.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:20 PM, GregKeo said:

Agree ... Such a lost opportunity, could have put a road alongside the railway tracks when developing the dual-rail fast train project. There seems to be available land along many sections of the rail line and some short stretches of minor roads currently exist for short lengths.

Not 100% sure but I think they're doing that. Almost every day I notice that more and more of the properties alongside the railway line have been demolished.

I could be wrong but I believe the intent is to have exactly as you describe, a road running by the side of the new dual track, all the way through town.

The artist's impression of the new station for instance, shows a new four-lane road running alongside the railway line, at least on that stretch.

My hope is that they'll continue that all the way to the flyover at the southern end of town (if not further).

The way they're demolishing properties suggests they're going to do something with the land that frees up. Not sure what that would be, if not a road?

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

It's better now, but still not something I'd take the family to.  Phuket wins hands down for family seaside holiday, just not Bangla rd, which is a very small part of the island.

Since the 80's much of the girlie-bar stuff has gone from the beach front. I think many Thais would like for Thailand to shed it's old sex tourism image, can't blame them really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2022 at 9:20 PM, GregKeo said:

Agree ... Such a lost opportunity, could have put a road alongside the railway tracks when developing the dual-rail fast train project.

As mentioned in my previous post, here's an artist's rendering of the new 4-lane road running past the new station. I can't say whether it's going to be extended through town but I had heard that was the plan and I'm hoping it's true.

Newhhstation~2.jpg

3 hours ago, vidgra said:

yes it's so great that you are not living there anymore... it says a lot !

Can't teach stupid!! Do you know my personal circumstances? My comment says nothing other than what is written. You're the guy who's arithmetic gets 4+4 =7 

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 5:28 AM, KhunLA said:

The nice thing about Phuket, a beautiful island (IMHO), is that you can actually get away from the overly touristy areas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

The nice thing about Phuket, a beautiful island (IMHO), is that you can actually get away from the overly touristy areas.

Agree completely.  As the tourist seem to be at Patong, Karon, Kata.  A few at Kamala, and hardly any elsewhere.  All of which, about 5, that are nicer, than the 3 that tourist hang out at ????

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree completely.  As the tourist seem to be at Patong, Karon, Kata.  A few at Kamala, and hardly any elsewhere.  All of which, about 5, that are nicer, than the 3 that tourist hang out at ????

I had an old friend who lived at Chalong for about 12 years, there's a marina and lighthouse there, not very touristy way beack when, not sure about now.