Pattaya Underpass

jimn

As a matter of interest, does anyone know for a fact if the existing underpass on the Sukumvidt has ever flooded since it became fully operational. I am of the opinion that it hasnt and has been a major success. There is talk of a new tunnel at Pattaya Tai to past the Threpasit road, this would be a major risk of flooding, but what about the current tunnel?

Just now, petermik said:

I would say with some certainty it has never flooded....

Thats what I thought but I cant find anything that actually states that. A certain youtube Pattaya channel host insists he was held up last year due to the tunnel being flooded. I am challenging it.

• Like 1

Not down in the actual underpass it hasn't. But where  the North bound part 'surfaces',  southbound goes down, (or does it stay level and the side roads are raised?), right where there is a pedestrian bridge, and the entrace to father Ray's is, that area does... as far as Nua on bad days.

• Like 2

I don't think it has ever flooded.  Several years ago my partner and I viewed a large table map at City Hall that showed 3 underpasses to be built.  I don't know if it is still there or not--or if the other 2 underpasses will ever be built.  

• Like 1

entrance is higher than surrounding road and there are pumps pumping out water when it rains, even if the power's out it looks like there's backup petrol/diesel pump on the control booth on the corner

even on the perpetually flooded south Pattaya junction, they only need to raise the underpass entrance so that even if the surrounding road floods the tunnel is okay

Remember, years ago, before the tunnel was finished, all those arm chair engineers who predicted flooding, really just sneering at actual Thai engineers. It was unpleasant, close to racist.

• Like 1

Saw a vlogger the other day who says it has been flooded a couple of times. He travels daily to and fro between Darkside and central Pattaya. Was Buzzin channel, a guy called Trevor.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, champers said:

Saw a vlogger the other day who says it has been flooded a couple of times. He travels daily to and fro between Darkside and central Pattaya. Was Buzzin channel, a guy called Trevor.

Useless vblogger mate...no flooding to date.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:14 PM, newnative said:

I don't think it has ever flooded.  Several years ago my partner and I viewed a large table map at City Hall that showed 3 underpasses to be built.  I don't know if it is still there or not--or if the other 2 underpasses will ever be built.  

They will be when the Mayor needs a new Merc.

18 hours ago, champers said:

I live on the Darkside and get out & about on a daily basis, I've been living here for almost 15 years and never heard or seen the tunnel flooded...ever. 

Flooding has happened on the north & south sides of the tunnel, but not in.  

15 hours ago, bbko said:

I live on the Darkside and get out & about on a daily basis, I've been living here for almost 15 years and never heard or seen the tunnel flooded...ever. 

Flooding has happened on the north & south sides of the tunnel, but not in.  

I was there yesterday and it is some strange optical illusion. I know it floods at Father Rays, and up to the North, but when there is looks to be far too inclined up hill for that to happen......