Ok I Am Back! Another How To?

Mossfinn

From a single thread I can now multiple quote from separate posts, much to endures chagrin, it would appear :o

But what I would like to do now is, from a single post in a thread, quote from only parts of it, with a response against each partial quote whilst deleting the rest of the post.

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

From a single thread I can now multiple quote from separate posts, much to endures chagrin, it would appear :o

sub quote 1

But what I would like to do now is, from a single post in a thread, quote from only parts of it, with a response against each partial quote whilst deleting the rest of the post.

sub quote 2

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

Is the above what you have in mind? If so, then reply to this post and look where i put the opening and closing quote tags.

[quote]  [/quote]

sub quote 1

sub quote 2

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

Is the above what you have in mind? If so, then reply to this post and look where i put the opening and closing quote tags.

Exactly

[quote]  [/quote]

Well it was but my first attempt above has gone a little awry.

Hopefully I will have more time tomorrow to try again and perfect it, :D I wish.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi Moss..

look at the following..

This is quote one...

[quote]Quote one[/quote]

This is quote two

[quote]Quote two[/quote]

This is quote three

[quote]Quote three[/quote]

And this is quote four

[quote]Quote four[/quote]

All the quotes are now finished

If I take away the code box it will look like this..

This is quote one...

Quote one

This is quote two

Quote two

This is quote three

Quote three

And this is quote four

Quote four

All the quotes are now finished..

The quick way is to highlight and copy the text you want to quote into your reply box, then highlight that text again and click on the quotes button rte-quote-button.png and the quote code will be placed either end of the highlighted text.

Another thing that can be done is to fill in the name of the person..

[quote=moss]Well it was but my first attempt above has gone a little awry.[/quote]

Well it was but my first attempt above has gone a little awry.

totster

use the post preview button and experiment / practise to your hearts content ,

it only goes live when you hit the post reply button .

Thanks Mid, but I have a feeling you are under the misapprehension I am even a little computer literate, I could practise until there is a Blue Moon over Spancil Hill, and I would not get this right.

I appreciate the help anyway.

Moss

Cheers Tywais, I will try again tomorrow.

Moss

Thanks Totster,

I appreciate the quick responses, but I am on my second glass of a fine wine and rather tired though working most of the day, so I will try tomorrow.

Thanks again for the prompt responses, as ever.

Moss

Edit. Practise instead of Practice, dam I really hate that. :o

Edited by Mossfinn

One problem I find with using the "wrap in quote tags" button is that you lose the name/date/post # of whatever (whoever) you were quoting (unless you manually enter it within the quote tags).

i.e.:

So generally, if I am splitting a post into various pieces so I can reply to each part individually, I will insert a few lines between the pieces, then copy/paste the original quote tag from the top of the post (i.e. "quote name='Mossfinn' date='2007-06-17 22:50:57' post='1366694'", got to copy the whole thing though, including the "[ and ]" characters.

At the end of the section, you have to remember to (type or copy/paste) the /quote (with those two [ ] characters again).

Then it comes out looking like this:

From a single thread I can now multiple quote from separate posts, much to endures chagrin, it would appear :D

:D

No problem

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

I like doing it this way so there is less confusion about who you are quoting/responding to.

Maybe I'm in Mossfinn's category, without the wine to help me. My mind instantly blocks when I'm being given computer instructions. I blame it sometimes on the teacher, who means well but uses jargon and has no idea how ignorant the student is, nor how complex the instructions are. But I learned to do a few things, somehow. If I can practice something ten times, it's mine for life.

Would someone care to try again to explain it? Does it only work with 'add reply' or also with 'fast reply'? What do I do first, second, and third?

From a single thread I can now multiple quote from separate posts, much to endures chagrin, it would appear

[ quote one/]

Clear as mud?

[Probably still is to me/]

Any ideas

Cheers

[well lets see/]

Moss

Doesn't it just make you cry!!

Try again tonight

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn

Maybe I'm in Mossfinn's category, without the wine to help me.

1st

My mind instantly blocks when I'm being given computer instructions.

2nd

I blame it sometimes on the teacher, who means well but uses jargon and has no idea how ignorant the student is, nor how complex the instructions are.

3rd

But I learned to do a few things, somehow. If I can practice something ten times, it's mine for life.

4th

Would someone care to try again to explain it? Does it only work with 'add reply' or also with 'fast reply'? What do I do first, second, and third?

Another way to do it is to just reply to a post. Use the mouse to select a line of text then hit the "Wrap In Quote Tags" icon above (2nd from right). Then just put your new text in between the quote tags.

[quote]quoted text here[/quote] 
Your text here
[quote]more quoted text [/quote]
More of your text here.

Another way to do it is to just reply to a post.
Use the mouse to select a line of text then hit the "Wrap In Quote Tags" icon above (2nd from right).
I just followed that instruction.
Then just put your new text in between the quote tags.
Likewise, I did that.

Some of your post was irrelevant or distracting to the task at hand, but did I get it finally? Oops, no - the quote tags don't match. I should not have edited out some of your post, but I didn't want to include that in the first place. Let's see

test1
My mind instantly blocks when I'm being given computer instructions. I blame it sometimes on the teacher,

One thing I left out is that you need to cut the last closing quote tag at the bottom of the reply and put it at the end of the first quote line or it will just nest the quotes.

[quote name='PeaceBlondie' date='2007-06-18 10:20:35' post='1367287'] put here [/quote]

Just think of anything that is between the two (opening and closing) quote tags will show up as a quote. In yours the first quote mark is the quote name= and at the very bottom is it's matching closing quote. This means all the quotes in between will show as quotes within the full quotation.

Think maybe I'll make a video, will be easier to explain. :o Being a programmer it's intuitive to me but is difficult to explain.

Like this tywais

Clear as mud?

Perhaps?

Any ideas

Lets See

Cheers

Moss

i wonder?

Moss

first glass of wine

Second Glass

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

I wonder if this will

I have a feeling there is something fundamental I am missing here :D

Edited by Mossfinn

One thing I left out is that you need to cut the last closing quote tag at the bottom of the reply and put it at the end of the first quote line or it will just nest the quotes.
Okay, I've got this. Now I'll cut the last closing quote tag at the bottom of the reply..cut it, now ready to paste it where? At the end of the first quote line. Well, I'm sure I cut it out, but now I can't paste it, but luckily I should know how to insert it manually...but now the closing tags don't match, so I'll take that last manual insert out, and ....no, it's too late now. Whether you gave me imperfect instructions, or I bungled it, it's no good.
[quote name='PeaceBlondie' date='2007-06-18 10:20:35' post='1367287'] put here [/quote]

Just think of anything that is between the two (opening and closing) quote tags will show up as a quote. In yours the first quote mark is the quote name= and at the very bottom is it's matching closing quote. This means all the quotes in between will show as quotes within the full quotation.

Think maybe I'll make a video, will be easier to explain. :o Being a programmer it's intuitive to me but is difficult to explain.

Your last sentence may be the key, tywais: you're such a veteran programmer that it's intuitive to you, so you try to explain it in jargon perhaps, or without thinking like a novice, or like a teacher.

Care to try again?

Clear as mud?

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

Add text here

Add more text here

-------------------------------------------------

I'll try to do this a different way. The above is the result of the below steps.

1. The reply page with original quote

2. Selecting text you would like a separate quote

3. Cutting the text

4. Pasting the text below the original quote

5. Highlighting the text

6. Clicking on the Wrap In Quote Tags icon above

7. Adding comments at the end of each quote segment.

post-566-1182269236_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269280_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269333_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269374_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269415_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269468_thumb.jpg

post-566-1182269509_thumb.jpg

Any ideas

Cheers

Moss

Add text here

Add more text here

-------------------------------------------------

I'll try to do this a different way. The above is the result of the below steps.

1. The reply page with original quote

2. Selecting text you would like a separate quote

3. Cutting the text

4. Pasting the text below the original quote

5. Highlighting the text

6. Clicking on the Wrap In Quote Tags icon above

7. Adding comments at the end of each quote segment.

Clear as mud?

Is it any clearer now

My mind instantly blocks when I'm being given computer instructions. I blame it sometimes on the teacher, who means well but uses jargon and has no idea how ignorant the student is, nor how complex the instructions are. But I learned to do a few things, somehow. If I can practice something ten times, it's mine for life.

Perhaps the Wine will help.

Would someone care to try again to explain it?

I think this example is best

Hopefully, works this time?

Didn't need the pics just easily understandable instructions.

If this works, Tywais you are a star, Tots and Kerry, thanks but it needs to be simpler for the likes of me.

As for Mark, you are a show off :o

Moss

Almost there! Just forgot to cut the top part of the quote.

Edited by Mossfinn

I have just tried out my new found skills Tywais, although I have a feeling it might not last the distance.

I will play a little more, just for Endures sake of course :o Only joking.

What I was a little unsure about was, I used two separate posts, one to explain why I was using the following post with edits to explain why I was doing it, that is probably not clear, however.

After deleting the text of the two posts, it still leaves their signature in a blank post box, I didn't want to delete this as it might affect what I had already posted, but I will continue my degree course tomorrow.

Thanks again, it was as you can tell driving me a little scatty.

Moss

Back to being, 'Computer Expert'. :D

• 9 months later...
You got that just about right.

Let's see :D

I fear not!! :o

But I do :D

Crikey, talk about resurrecting an old thread :D

That is what makes me afraid :D

Sorry for the abuse of this thread,but finally I learned some.This thread and the "How Do I Insert A Quote In A Reply?, How to quote" one helped a lot.

I'm also lost in translation,but need the info from thaivisa.com .

Thanks for your help by building this thread.

Mike