Thailand - So Where Ideally Would You Live??

Hello.

My question's perspective is from someone who has visited Thailand several times, does not live in the country, is married to a Thai, and who would like to retire there in about 7 years time, by 'retire' means we spend 6 months in Thailand and not necessarily at her house, (located northern suburb sprawl of Bangkok).

(Modest budget, private pension, state pension in 9 years time makes everything more comfortable).

Prefer nature, countryside, beaches, mountains to inner city chaos, but don't want to be miles away from urban facilities, good public transport and an airport.

Where would you choose as your ideal / recommend and importantly "Why"?

Thank you for your advice and tips.

Phil

Edited by Phil1964

18 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

My question's perspective is from someone who has visited Thailand several times, does not live in the country, is married to a Thai, and who would like to retire there in about 7 years time, by 'retire' means we spend 6 months in Thailand

Visiting Thailand for two decades. At present not living in Thailand but lived in Thailand for two years in Bangkok and two years in Jomtien. Already retired. Used to spend 6 months in Thailand, 3 months in USA and 3 months in Spain before covid. Now spending a year in the USA and planning to resume 6 months stay in Thailand at Jomtien. Not married to a Thai but have a child with a Thai sweet heart who will be ready to marry whenever I want. She is well settled in Thailand with her own house and car and a decent incomes. Need some extra money from time to time to indulge in luxuries that every girl wants and I have enough incomes for that. But married life is not for me. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Chiang mai mountains cheap airport

Udon cheap airport, nature at loei, nong khai nearby, laos

If you dont need beach these 2 be ok

I would spend a week if locations first.

Week is not enough time to make decision where you want live. To me Loei is best place to be, if i want or need to go town its Khon Kaen. But everybody want different things. One not so good thing in Loei is that only 2-3 flight/day and all from Don Mueang. To me never have had any issue to chance airport in Bkk but some it might be. In every 15 minutes go free bus to and back between airports. But if have bad trafic time it can be pain in butt. Normally bus take about 40 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want fascilites such as a Central mall, large supermarkets, modern private hospital, a good range of restaurants, plus a beach, and not too far from Bangkok and the international airport, then you should look at the towns from Ang Sila/Bangsaen, through to Sriracha.  Then skipping Pattaya, look at Sattahip to Rayong.

The beaches may not be the best, but they are OK for walks and excersise, and you get a modern mall, all the fascilities you need, plus only a couple of hours drive on the Expressway.

Lots of condo developments, many with sea views, plus small housing developments too.

And if you want a weekend on a nice island, you can get a cheap ferry from Sriracha, Sattahip or Rayong.

If going as far as Rayong, check prevailing wind directions from the Map ta Phut industrial zone.  

If a longer drive from Bangkok is not an issue, then Chanthaburi is nice, but fewer modern malls etc and about 4 hours drive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

7 years back Thailand was a great place to move, then suddenly it wasn't.

I can't predict what will happen after another 7 years.

What he said.  China will move on Taiwan before that and then all bets are off.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Prefer nature, countryside, beaches, mountains to inner city chaos, but don't want to be miles away from urban facilities, good public transport and an airport.

This is a typical issue for many - want to be out in nature but not far from a city - you will have to adjust your own slide rule of what is more important... the places that come to mind might be CM and maybe just south of Hua Hin... have fun looking around.

• Like 1

Times are changing in Thailand, even small places have BigC, Tesco, Home Pro. I live in Loei it has all the above and more. Airport is only 4/5 K from town, by bus you can get to anywhere in Thailand (maybe post pandemic not)????. Can be cold in winter

• Like 2

So where Ideally would you live in Thailand ? Exactly where I am on Koh Chang, All main supermarkets, Good bakery, Restaurants, it ticks all your boxes. 

12 hours ago, Phil1964 said:

Except for Airport which is on the mainland Trat, Direct buses to BKK airport/and all transport links, or links to anywhere else by bus from Koh Chang. Or buy a car, get a ferry membership card and get 50% discount. return for me and car 180 Baht. ????

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

did you even read the thread op?

He did cyril........ but he felt an urgent overpowering need, that he relate his circumstance to us ---by any means necessary .................:w00t:

• Haha 2

It's age dependent, 20 years ago I would have liked to live in a spacious beach condo with an abundant supply of beautiful Thai women who wanted to share my bed for some consideration.

Nowadays, Chiang Rai with one GF is all I need.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's age dependent, 20 years ago I would have liked to live in a spacious beach condo with an abundant supply of beautiful Thai women who wanted to share my bed for some consideration.

Nowadays, Chiang Rai with one GF is all I need.

OP, good public transport is hard to find in Thailand, only Bangkok has something which resembles it.

You mentioned you like beaches, but what do you like - e.g only drinking sunset cocktails or do open water swimming. If you want swimming/snorkeling and clean water there are not that many places with airport nearby.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gearbox said:

OP, good public transport is hard to find in Thailand, only Bangkok has something which resembles it.

Not sure about that.  Hua Hin and Patts, has a baht bus system.  Udon Thani has an excellent baht bus system for those not wanting to drive.  Although I wouldn't live in any of those places, as simply don't interest me.  Even Phuket is fighting the taxi mafia and offering up some bus services now.

Most of the other large metros, have a good baht bus system.  Having a motorcycle, ebike or bicycle adds quite  bit of convenience, if care taken while riding.

Bangkok's is extensive, and needed, with millions using everyday.  Can be very crowded to the point of being left curbside and on the platform to await the next bus / train.  Ground very slow, with rails faster and packed at times, which requires quite a bit of walking and stair climbing.

• Like 1