Thailand - So Where Ideally Would You Live??

Greater Pattaya.  Huge choice of housing of all types and at all price ranges.  Big choice of areas to live, whether it's city center or outer areas.  Good health care and choice of hospitals.  Two airports less than 1  1/2 hours away.  Bangkok 2 hours away for getaway trips.  Good shopping choices for all your needs.  Pattaya and Jomtien beaches being widened and improved.  Movie theaters in English.  Entertainment events scheduled throughout the year by the city.   Large, diverse expat community.  Lots of golf courses and some biking trails.  Large choice of restaurants.  An interesting, growing area to live with new things coming in all the time.  

• Like 2

I always lived where i had my interests close, Ao Nang when climbing and kayaking, diving, Koh tao when freediving, Hua Hin when I was going often to Thailand and back to Europe because of work. Now we choosed closer to the best roads in Thailand for motorbike driving, at the very beginning of North Thailand, and of course my gf home village where we have built our mini farm, which gives us common ground where we share interest for growing and maintaining our home. 

It is all about creating your own freedom and quality of life. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

North of Hua Hin you have Cha-am

I went to Cha Am before Hua Hin, and no way I would choose Cha Am above Hua Hin.

As I look at it now, how I know most places in Thailand, and look at me in my early to mid 70’ies (20 years from now), only one place I can imagine muself living out of convinient reason, and that is Jomtien. One of the front high rise buildings with balcony towards the seafront, no further down than soi 12. 

Got proper hospital close by and also Koh Larn as a nice beach destination as well if still interested to take a little journey. Close to airport, shopping etc. 

Your main question is difficult to answer as there are so many variables - but I'd like to add a couple of things that you should probably consider.

1. Air quality:  There are some areas of Thailand where its atrocious.  I'm no doctor but I'd take a guess that the older you get, the more you are succeptible to respiratory  problems.

2. Ownership: Although there are various ways of 'owning' a property - relationships can change so you need to consider whether that would concern you or not.

3. Population:  Although I integrate with the Thai population more than most seem to, there are times when I just feel the need to speak English with another English speaker.  You may want to consider if there are any bars etc. in your chosen area that are frequented by foreigners.

Generally - I think you'll have to compromise on some things.  For example, I love where I live and although some would, I don't consider it as too far from an airport - 2.5 hours.  I fully understand why you wouldn't want to be 5 or 6 hours from an airport but how important is that? How many times do you expect to need to use an airport?

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's age dependent, 20 years ago I would have liked to live in a spacious beach condo with an abundant supply of beautiful Thai women who wanted to share my bed for some consideration.

Nowadays, Chiang Rai with one GF is all I need.

But I bet you would still like to share your bed with some of those beautiful Thai women if you could, I do, I mean, I do, but not my bed, when the occasion arises, pre-pandemic of course ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

But I bet you would still like to share your bed with some of those beautiful Thai women if you could, I do, I mean, I do, but not my bed, when the occasion arises, pre-pandemic of course ????

Have you stopped using prostitutes because you don't want to catch Covid?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I went to Cha Am before Hua Hin, and no way I would choose Cha Am above Hua Hin.

Cha-Am on a weekend and a holiday is a nightmare in my opinion.

It's completely filthy the next morning with trash everywhere.

Beach is ok.

Just large party busses with blaring music until the early morning - which clog the road up to/back to Bkk.

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Have you stopped using prostitutes because you don't want to catch Covid?

No, I just haven't been out and about, as most places closed down, however if I do take a drive, say for an hour I am sure I can find a few, but the Covid thing has been a turn off, perhaps I will wait till I get it before I dip my toes, then if I am still alive and breathing well, will take the full dip.

48 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Alas, age and the medication I take to ward off age reduce my libido. The desire is still there, the capability is not.

What pandemic? There's still lots of totty about in Thailand, it's a matter of knowing where to look.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JayBird said:

You may need to adjust where and when you live to account for burning season.  I hear it gets quite bad in the North for a part of the year.

Surprisingly, the burning season this year has been very muted, possibly due to unseasonal rains. I don't think the API in Chiang Rai got above 80, the year before it was up to 500.

I just crank up the aircon and two air purifiers, and pay an extra 300 baht/ month on my electricity bill.

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It's age dependent, 20 years ago I would have liked to live in a spacious beach condo with an abundant supply of beautiful Thai women who wanted to share my bed for some consideration.

Nowadays, Chiang Rai with one GF is all I need.

I have very white skin, sadly beyond 10 minutes beaches are a no go for me.

Even if I sit in the shade the sun reflected from the sea will burn me just as badly.

I'd like to, but I can't.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Even if I sit in the shade the sun reflected from the sea will burn me just as badly.

Celtic genes, probably. They have the highest incidence of melanoma in the world. Australia runs second.

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just use sun block then.