Pump Options - Old Jet Pump or Submersable?

carlyai

I have Jet Pump (as in the pictures). The pump was not delivering water (evidently before delivering water but making that 'lack of water' noise, so I replaced the impeller. (I have been away for a year, so not sure of events). That didn't fix it, but with a bit of pipe shaking it started working again, filled the tank, then wouldn't pump again. Replaced the footer valve, but that didn't work, so have to look at the jet assembly. Unit filled with 5 years of rust and sand and the boys broke it when they dropped it from the roof.

So I need to buy 2 new pipes and jet assembly to get it all going again, or, replace it all with a submersible pump. The bore hole is only 3" which was all they drilled around here years ago.

What to do?

20220511_052829.jpg

20220511_052832.jpg

20220511_052838.jpg

20220511_052859.jpg

After 10 years and two jet pumps, I replaced with a 3" FROG 1/2 HP and wished I had done it before.  Excellent output.  Mine is 28m down but sounds like you have even less.  They have 2" pumps I think.  Definitely the way to go.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

After 10 years and two jet pumps, I replaced with a 3" FROG 1/2 HP and wished I had done it before.  Excellent output.  Mine is 28m down but sounds like you have even less.  They have 2" pumps I think.  Definitely the way to go.

That sounds good. My pipe is about 25 m but lots of water at that depth. My bore is 3" so a 3" submersible would probably be too big.

So will look for a 2" Frog submersible. Have you got any instructions on installation, like cover or wrap in plastic gause or any particular things I should do? Thanks again. ????

I just "glued" male/female threaded fittings to 7 sections of PVC (had to cut off the extension end).  Pre-applied the Teflon tape to the male.  Using a rope with noose to hold the pipe and a helper, we just screwed them together until the cap.  Cable tie the cable for each section.  I also installed a pressure control that Do Home sells but the sales crew had no idea how to wire.  I figured that out and works great. 

Edit:  The whole project came to a little over B10k.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I just "glued" male/female threaded fittings to 7 sections of PVC (had to cut off the extension end).  Pre-applied the Teflon tape to the male.  Using a rope with noose to hold the pipe and a helper, we just screwed them together until the cap.  Cable tie the cable for each section.  I also installed a pressure control that Do Home sells but the sales crew had no idea how to wire.  I figured that out and works great. 

Edit:  The whole project came to a little over B10k.

How for from the bore pipe end did you have the pump? About 1m or more?  Did you do anything about sand from the aquifer? When the aquifer charges due to the rainy season, causes a bit of water turbulance.

Just now, carlyai said:

How for from the bore pipe end did you have the pump? About 1m or more?  Did you do anything about sand from the aquifer? When the aquifer charges due to the rainy season, causes a bit of water turbulance.

The jet pump was right next to the bore.  The submersible FROG has a "sand filter".  Even so, this time of year the water is a bit cloudy with mud sediment.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would need the pressure controller, as I just fill our 3000 L water tank. Have one of those floating switches in the tank which turns on the pump when I use about 1m of tank water and then turns the pump off.

So thinking that if I can get a FROG 1.5" .025 HP should be OK for 20 odd meters head. Can't seem to find the specs sheets yet.

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I'm not sure I would need the pressure controller, as I just fill our 3000 L water tank. Have one of those floating switches in the tank which turns on the pump when I use about 1m of tank water and then turns the pump off.

So thinking that if I can get a FROG 1.5" .025 HP should be OK for 20 odd meters head. Can't seem to find the specs sheets yet.

Just one point, while your well maybe 25 metres deep to reach the aquifer the head, assuming a good flow, is unlikely to be as deep as 20 metres more than likely it’s much shallower than that and it’s where the water surface actually is not how deep the pump is that is important.

A well pump is always placed low enough that it will virtually never run dry but high enough that it’s not sucking sediment. So conceivable you could put a pump at 40 metres that is only pumping a 10 metre head 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Just one point, while your well maybe 25 metres deep to reach the aquifer the head, assuming a good flow, is unlikely to be as deep as 20 metres more than likely it’s much shallower than that and it’s where the water surface actually is not how deep the pump is that is important 

Yes thanks. So now the water table is fairly high but in the dry season it drops a fair bit. I did take measurments before but have forgotten.

So if I place the submersible at the same distance I had the jet pipe, that should be OK? 

Also our closes Global House have 1" pumps of a different brand. Should I try and get the 1.5" (bore hole is 3") or would the 1" be OK?

Also they only have 1.5 HP, so I thought getting a 0.25 or 0.5 HP would be better as not discharge the aquifer water as quick. Give it time to recharge.

I have another bore pump about 60 m away and I have to throttle the water output or it draws water too quickly from the aquifer.

5 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yes thanks. So now the water table is fairly high but in the dry season it drops a fair bit. I did take measurments before but have forgotten.

So if I place the submersible at the same distance I had the jet pipe, that should be OK? 

Also our closes Global House have 1" pumps of a different brand. Should I try and get the 1.5" (bore hole is 3") or would the 1" be OK?

Also they only have 1.5 HP, so I thought getting a 0.25 or 0.5 HP would be better as not discharge the aquifer water as quick. Give it time to recharge.

I have another bore pump about 60 m away and I have to throttle the water output or it draws water too quickly from the aquifer.

I would go to an actual pump supply shop and ask them places like Global will sell you what you ask for but probably can only read the information from the instruction book, but a pump shop should be able to give advice and have different options.

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I would go to an actual pump supply shop and ask them places like Global will sell you what you ask for but probably can only read the information from the instruction book, but a pump shop should be able to give advice and have different options.

Ok, but not too many shops around here with good/correct advice.

24 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are keeping “here” secret (not in your profile) so difficult to assist.

Outside Kuchinari. I know most the shops in Kuchinari and the Tractor Shop is probably one of the better, but if you don't buy the pump from them, they're not really interested in helping.

Anyway I got intouch with CR Group Thailand the FROG pump distributer and they said for a 3" bore the pump should be 1" and 0.5 HP. 

So I've ordered it.

Thanks for your help.