Can I convert my COVID Extension to Non B without leaving Thailand?

Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to these kind of situations, and my potential employers have no clue whatsoever. Let me give a sequential background of my Visa Status.

• got an Non - ED Visa from Vientiane Thai Embassy (2019)
  • got a Volunteer Visa (within Thailand through our most favorite agency)
  • got a Medical Extension (twice) 
  • got COVID Extension until the present time

So, during the times mentioned above, was currently staying with my family while was continuing my undergraduate studies. Now, I'm finished with the program and have all my documents. Already found a school to work at, however, the visa lady in charge have no clue on these visa processes.

It now lies in my shoulder to research what documents the school have to prepare for the processing of my WP, Kurusapa, Non B. Fortunate that I can read and understand Thai with no problem. Finding the documents online is not as tedious. 

Question is: Do I still have to exit Thailand in order to get a Non B? 

Thank you for your response.

As an aside, I would mention that you do not convert from a visa or extension to a Non B visa within Thailand. You either apply for a "conversion" Non Immigrant visa while on a tourist entry (including visa exempt) or you apply for a new extension of stay. Thus, the Covid extension is irrelevant to the question of how to stay in Thailand after finding a job.

Since you are already in Thailand on a Non Immigrant entry, there is no limitation, in principle, to getting an extension of stay based on working, after applying successfully for a work permit. No preparatory step of applying for a new visa is required (or possible without leaving Thailand). That said, the procedure you must go through is going to take some some time, requiring all the right documentation from your prospective employer. The main challenge is getting the work permit.

• Like 2

Yes, go to Laos to get a Non B, WP in advance if possible, some offices want to see Non B first. Done this many times working 10 years in Thailand. Google read Thai Friendly My Life in The Kingdom A. Clark on sale on kindle amazon now. For more info. 

Dont know if it will help you but this is what my friend at work (he started new, few months ago) did.

Cancelles his non-b, immigration gave hin that covid thing and in the same day our office preapered the documents. He went there and he got extension for 1 year with working reason. 

So most likely you can do.

Edited by problemfarang

Thank you guys for your responses. I have only less than a month left in my COVID Ext. I'll most likely just get a Non B in Vientiane first since my school probably can't prepare all the necessary docs for the WP within these three weeks (they know nothing about what docs to prepare, sheesh). 

Thank you for the responses. @problemfarang@Colabamumbai  @BritTim

• Thanks 1

May you clarify Sir please, @BritTim

I have been scouring previous threads in regards to this topic and most of them are in contradiction with each other.

Yes, I currently have a Non Immigrant Visa (ED, then extended for Volunteer O).

Do you mean if I can somehow get a WP with my Non O, I can apply for an extension of stay at the Immigration without leaving the country, right? 

Thank you.

12 hours ago, WingardiumLeviousaaaa said:

May you clarify Sir please, @BritTim

I have been scouring previous threads in regards to this topic and most of them are in contradiction with each other.

Yes, I currently have a Non Immigrant Visa (ED, then extended for Volunteer O).

Do you mean if I can somehow get a WP with my Non O, I can apply for an extension of stay at the Immigration without leaving the country, right? 

Thank you.

Yes, no need to leave thailand and you can continue with your non-b BUT the whole thing must be in the same day which you said your new school cannot finish the papers in time. If they can, get a work termination letter from your old school. Be very very careful with the date on it. That day is your last day in thailand and your visa. With that letter and the documets from your school go to immigration. They will continue with your non-b without you need to leave the country. The thing here is, your new school must finish all documents before your last date on that letter

On 5/12/2022 at 1:22 PM, problemfarang said:

a work termination letter from your old school

If I'm reading it right, he isn't coming from a non-B.  He's going from a, presumably bonafide, ED visa, then onto agent quired Volunteer visa, then (possibly agent obtained) medical visas and covid extensions.

All seems quite unlikely with agent obtained extensions, but would love to hear an update if successful in Thailand or a neighbouring country.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

If I'm reading it right, he isn't coming from a non-B.  He's going from a, presumably bonafide, ED visa, then onto agent quired Volunteer visa, then (possibly agent obtained) medical visas and covid extensions.

All seems quite unlikely with agent obtained extensions, but would love to hear an update if successful in Thailand or a neighbouring country.

you are right. i was trying to explain another thing but yes, it looks like  different. lol