buying and sending a mobile device from the USA

riclag

I'm buying a cell phone from the states and having it sent to my kids to send here in Thailand!

Can  I expect any issues ? I prefer to send it through USPS international mail, as opposed to courier (fedex,ups,) if that makes a difference.

15 minutes ago, riclag said:

I prefer to send it through USPS international mail

No can do.

USPS won 't handle battery devices to thailand. https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/tz_004.htm

You could buy a phone here and I've tried to appeal to your rationality on this subject, but you seem committed to buying a phone in the U.S.

What are the advantages to re-shipping via your children? Just order direct and have it shipped here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, howlee101 said:

It's likely to be subjected to custom fees/taxes...and USPS international mail is expensive.  I sent a single debit card via USPS international at a cost of $80+ USD.

Just a question, why not just buy a cell phone from Thailand?

Cost isn't the issue for me at this point,its reliability without issues! I need to replace a phone that I was using to receive bank verification codes !

Ah good question ! For all the tech geeks that find issue with my answer ,dont bother.

The IMEI might conflict with my carrier or my carrier (mintmobile) won't recognize it!

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

No can do.

USPS won 't handle battery devices to thailand. https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/tz_004.htm

You could buy a phone here and I've tried to appeal to your rationality on this subject, but you seem committed to buying a phone in the U.S.

What are the advantages to re-shipping via your children? Just order direct and have it shipped here.

Mintmobile doesn't ship international

2 minutes ago, riclag said:

The IMEI might conflict with my carrier or my carrier (mintmobile) won't recognize it!

Understood.  I have a phone from the US that I use only on WiFi (I have a Google Voice number also)....I also sometimes have issues getting a verification code so I use a VPN when needed.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, riclag said:

Huh?

https://www.mintmobile.com/faqs/can-i-bring-my-own-device-2/

Borrow a real phone from a friend here; it will work fine.

You wouldn't be able to get a local roaming signal if your IMEI were rejected for HW incompatibilities. We can see the R on the photos you've shared.

Honestly there's no reasoning with you, I can see that, finally.

Maybe search the forums here for the latest shipping options. I think DHL may be the preferred option, but I don't stay up to date on those threads.

9 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

I have a phone from the US that I use only on WiFi

MINT supports WiFi calling, but the OP's flip-phone doesn't support that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Huh?

https://www.mintmobile.com/faqs/can-i-bring-my-own-device-2/

Borrow a real phone from a friend here; it will work fine.

You wouldn't be able to get a local roaming signal if your IMEI were rejected for HW incompatibilities. We can see the R on the photos you've shared.

Honestly there's no reasoning with you, I can see that, finally.

Maybe search the forums here for the latest shipping options. I think DHL may be the preferred option, but I don't stay up to date on those threads.

MINT supports WiFi calling, but the OP's flip-phone doesn't support that.

“.With our Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program, you can easily get Mint Mobile service on your current device. Just switch out the SIM card and presto.
Compatible BYOP devices include:
– Most unlocked, GSM-network phones
– Unlocked AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket Wireless, Simple Mobile, and Straight Talk phones
– Most phones with a SIM card
You may need to hit up your carrier to unlock your phone.
If you’re still not sure if your phone will work with Mint Mobile, visit willmyphonework.net. Once there, enter your phone’s brand and model, U.S. for country and, under “Carrier,” choose our partner company, Ultra Mobile. (This, however, does not guarantee if the device is unlocked or that the phone will work with our service).

Please im trying to find advise for shipping cell phones  from the states.Your bringing another thread into the mix .
Stop with the innuendo”there is reasoning with you” .

• Confused 1

I use a free Google Voice number in the US to receive 2nd factor authentication SMSs on an almost daily basis.  Have not experienced any problems with that.  The Google Voice number was based on having a MagicJack VOIP phone number when I signed up for the free service.  If want to get started with Google Voice from Thailand you might need to use a VPN set to the US to sign up and activate.  It may even be possible for someone in the US to help you set up the Google Voice number.

I usually ship things from the US by USPS as it seems to garner less interest from Thai customs, although I understand in this case because of the battery restriction USPS isn't possible.  I guess one of the couriers is the only alternative, DHL, FedEx.

• Thanks 1

Shipments of cellular phones and accessories require an import license from the Telecommunication Department. This products cannot be imported or exported from Thailand without a license or documentation specifying the details of the product.

• Like 2

My sister in the U.S. tried to mail me a mobile phone via USPS around 18 months ago and USPS would not accept it for shipment to Thailand.  The post office said their mailing IT system was flagging it as a no-can-do.  While I could mail it to any where in the U.S. and many other countries, I couldn't to Thailand. 

After my sister told me this I called the post she went to and was told the same thing.

So I had the sister mail the phone via USPS to my mail forwarding service in Texas where I had it remailed to Thailand using FedEx or DHL (I forget which one).  I declared it as  mobile phone. Received without issue about 5 days later and a 7% customs fee was applied by Thai Customs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just buy an iPhone at MBK with the model suffix LL (iPhone model for the US market). There are vendors offering them. I bought one last year in Phnom Penh. I'm sure you can find one at MBK or Pantip Plaza.  

Or buy a Pixel phone. Check the model number on the box. Pixels sold in the US work perfectly on Asian bands. I know as a friend in the US bought one for me at the physical Google retail store.

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Not sure what you doing when you refer to bank codes? 

I'm certainly not a tech geek far from it. 

I still keep much of my banking in the U. S.  Although I live in Thailand I have a pay as you go SIM card with T-mobile I use currently a Vivo phone with duel Sims some of my banking do ask to provide security codes to my listed number in the U. S.  when that happens knowing I switch to my T-mobile SIM on my Vivo phone purchased here in Thailand. Not sure if that is what you are reference about? 

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure what you doing when you refer to bank codes? 

I'm certainly not a tech geek far from it. 

I still keep much of my banking in the U. S.  Although I live in Thailand I have a pay as you go SIM card with T-mobile I use currently a Vivo phone with duel Sims some of my banking do ask to provide security codes to my listed number in the U. S.  when that happens knowing I switch to my T-mobile SIM on my Vivo phone purchased here in Thailand. Not sure if that is what you are reference about? 

Bank codes/Verification codes . Thanks for the vivo advice! I ‘ll look into it

10 minutes ago, riclag said:

OTPs? These days using  push technology or simply  by opening the foreign bank phone app and ticking 'yes' the security message  is delivered. But American  banking tech services are incredibly  behind Asia  and the Middle  East. The UK is catching up. I remember in post war Kuwait  how sophisticated telephone banking was - decades ahead of UK and USA..

7 hours ago, riclag said:

Not just Vivo you can do it on any phone with a duel SIM compartment I believe.  The last few phones have been Vivo,  second hand from my son or wife when I buy them a new phone I take the old one words for me. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, riclag said:

Not just Vivo you can do it on any phone with a duel SIM compartment I believe.  The last few phones have been Vivo,  second hand from my son or wife when I buy them a new phone I take the old one works for me. 

You can also try online changing with your bank or institution how you receive the codes from text to your email address.

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Not just Vivo you can do it on any phone with a duel SIM compartment I believe.  The last few phones have been Vivo,  second hand from my son or wife when I buy them a new phone I take the old one works for me. 

You can also try online changing with your bank or institution how you receive the codes from text to your email address.

Ive been doing this for years( the verification game) ! They all have different methods weather it be email,txt codes ,security key devices !

it would be perfect if it was as easy as you make it sound!

Years ago I tried switching out a sim here from my friends korean made phone and replacing it with my Mintmobile sim ! Mints staff wouldn’t technically recognize it ! 

Edited by riclag

In addition to the customs/mailing difficulties, you also have to consider frequency compatibility with Thailand carriers, think "GSM vs CDMA"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

Ive been doing this for years( the verification game) ! They all have different methods weather it be email,txt codes ,security key devices !

Years ago I tried switching out a sim here from my friends korean made phone and replacing it with my Mintmobile sim ! Mints staff wouldn’t technically recognize it ! 

What is a Mint phone?

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Same here!  When it started I was a bit frustrating why because I'm not techno like you. Not saying it is as easy as it sounds but to be honest I don't have a clue when you reference things like mint?  

what I do know that works for me is I keep it real simple as noted I have a number of banks, a few brokage account for investing, pensions including Social Security which in fact if using online required to receive a code to punch in prior to the website opening your account. It is a pain cause some ask and some dont I even was able to figure out for some when they ask because I didn't turn my VPN on!  Basically I use my laptop always to log into accounts.  My son set up majority of stuff on my phone so I can access email,  FB,  etc.. 

As I said I've had a T-mobile SIM card the same number for 20 plus year top off yearly so I could keep the same number but the phones I used are from Thailand like Vivo, prior to getting this phone it was another Vivo single sim if I know someone is going to send out a code I take out the Thai SIM and place the T-mobile inside I've had no problem getting that code in Thailand using my T-Mobile SIM. 

I've given you as much as I can to my own experience. Good luck

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

What is a Mint phone?

A phone which MINT sells.

https://phones.mintmobile.com/phones.html

And you thought it might be light green, and smell so nice.

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

As I said I've had a T-mobile SIM card the same number for 20 plus year

Yeah, T-Mo is out of that business, have been for a few years. No sense recommending something you can no longer obtain. I too maintain my long-standing T-Mo number, $10 every 90 days. T-Mo sloughed off the pond scum to UltraMobile, which have a $3/month plan with international roaming and WiFi calling. Works flawlessly here. Best solution for infrequent OTP use.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, riclag said:

Cost isn't the issue for me at this point,its reliability without issues! I need to replace a phone that I was using to receive bank verification codes !

Ah good question ! For all the tech geeks that find issue with my answer ,dont bother.

I was in exact same position with Ting. On their website they offer phones for sale and I bought one of the cheaper ones here in Thailand. Just checked out the Mint website and phones offered are some cheap ones. The one I bought was Samsung A03 for 4000thb. 

Much less hassle than your way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was in exact same position with Ting. On their website they offer phones for sale and I bought one of the cheaper ones here in Thailand. Just checked out the Mint website and phones offered are some cheap ones. The one I bought was Samsung A03 for 4000thb. 

Much less hassle than your way.

Thanks for sharing that@Evenkeel. You haven’t had any issues than with getting verification codes and especially service here in Thailand? Thats cheap and it past the cell carriers sniff test(IMEI capability’s test)!

4 minutes ago, riclag said:

Thanks for sharing that@Evenkeel. You haven’t had any issues than with getting verification codes and especially service here in Thailand? Thats cheap and it past the cell carriers sniff test(IMEI capability’s test)!

One issue I have at times is when the bank calls me it takes so long  my voicemail picks up the call and I can't log on. But texts work fine.

Before you buy the new phone  put US sim card in it and call yourself from Thai phone to make sure it works.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

One issue I have at times is when the bank calls me it takes so long  my voicemail picks up the call and I can't log on. But texts work fine.

Before you buy the new phone  put US sim card in it and call yourself from Thai phone to make sure it works.

And/or turn off voicemail.