Mum dead, dad seriously injured in Yaris smash with parked truck - but 5 year old survives despite no car seat

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Five year old survives

Daily News was the first media to mention car seats for children after a terrible smash in the north east that claimed the life of a mother. 

Despite there being no car seat her five year old son survived with minor injuries in what the media called a miracle. 

Bandung police and rescue services found that a Yaris had plowed into a Hino ten wheeler parked by the side of the Bandung Sumsao Road. 

The truck was offloading building supplies at the time.

Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Bunsong, 47, had gone to collect his wife Nichata, 44, from Muang district of Udon Thai on the way home to Wang Thong sub-district. 

All three survived the impact but Nichata died in Bandung Crown Prince Hospital. 

There was no car seat for children in the car with the media suggesting the boy had been on his mother's lap. 

Thailand's news media including ASEAN NOW has been reporting changes to the law this week that will see motorists having to install car seats for children aged under 6 within 120 days. 

Car seats have never been mentioned in accidents involving children in the past, notes ASEAN NOW.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Don't know what time the accident happened, but the photo shows daytime. How could the driver of the Yaris not see that huge truck parked up?

hard to figure - on the phone - sleeping - who knows and it seems to happen on a regular basis here - people riding/drive into parked trucks, I have seen people with TV's mounted on dashbords here 

33 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Expect a rash of headliners, highlighting use of, or lack of child car seats, since on the mandatory law agenda.

Let the programming begin ... ????

Your comments seem to imply you are against laws which require parents to place their children in car seats.... 

Now... the article already said the child was a luck (a miracle he survived)...  even more so if the child was on the mothers lap. 

Perhaps the child was in the back and the seat preventing him from being thrown further forwards while the parents weren’t wearing seatbelts with the inevitable result. 

Utterly heartbreaking and tragic for a child to lose both parents. But how on earth does the driver simply drive ‘into a parked truck’...   there are an astonishing number of immovable objects being struck by vehicles....  

Perhaps Thailand needs a road campaign.... ‘Look where you are going’ !!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your comments seem to imply you are against laws which require parents to place their children in car seats.... 

Now... the article already said the child was a luck (a miracle he survived)...  even more so if the child was on the mothers lap. 

Perhaps the child was in the back and the seat preventing him from being thrown further forwards while the parents weren’t wearing seatbelts with the inevitable result. 

Utterly heartbreaking and tragic for a child to lose both parents. But how on earth does the driver simply drive ‘into a parked truck’...   there are an astonishing number of immovable objects being struck by vehicles....  

Perhaps Thailand needs a road campaign.... ‘Look where you are going’ !!! 

What a novel idea...

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Didn't state or imply that at all or see how you even read that into my reply.  

Just find it a bit coincidental, that they announce a new law requiring car seats soon, and then we have a headliner, highlighting use of, or lack of car seat.  

First one/headliner I've ever noticed.  What is sad, is parents need a law to require a car seat, or use of seat belt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Don't know what time the accident happened, but the photo shows daytime. How could the driver of the Yaris not see that huge truck parked up?

Could be any of many distractions, the 5 yr old possibly even being one of them.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Didn't state or imply that at all or see how you even read that into my reply.  

Just find it a bit coincidental, that they announce a new law requiring car seats soon, and then we have a headliner, highlighting use of, or lack of car seat.  

First one/headliner I've ever noticed.  What is sad, is parents need a law to require a car seat, or use of seat belt.

Fair enough....    

The media love a little irony...   This accident is somewhat of a dog-whistle for reporters to highlight that the child was not strapped into a car seat and still survived given the recent announcement of the ‘car seat law’.

Had there been no law change recently, this detail would not have been noted. 

---------

I also agree... no law should be necessary. But the introduction of this law has taught me some lessons this week. 

Wife’s friends, mostly wealthy, their kids go to big international schools (Harrow / Shrewsbury / Patana etc) have vans with drivers etc... none of the kids are in car seats yet they are ‘covid paranoid’ like I have never seen (double masked everywhere, hand spray and gel every 5 mins, spraying tables in restaurants etc) its nuts and somewhat embarrassing to be around when we go for dinner etc....

Their lack of use of a car seat (even when I have mentioned that they should) just highlights an inner ability to think critically or even intelligently.

Now this law has been put in place they are all discussing it, suddenly ‘car seats’ are something everyone should have. 

The utter stupidity is not lost... this abrupt shift in mindset because of a law is somewhat of ’Stockholm Syndrome’ in nature...  brainwashed, it makes me worry how they could be brainwashed the ‘wrong way’... is this an indication of how much of the population are ?

But.... IMO it doesn’t matter how it comes about, so long as stupid people follow these laws and protect their children (supposedly smart people already follow common sense). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

Not looking.... just a guess?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Utterly heartbreaking and tragic for a child to lose both parents.

Only the Mum died. Still got the crazy Dad as of yet.

Edited by KannikaP

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Expect a rash of headliners, highlighting use of, or lack of child car seats, since on the mandatory law agenda.

Let the programming begin ... ????

What do you mean? Do you have something against car seats? Moreover, programming? What is funny here? 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I have seen people with TV's mounted on dashbords here 

if installed correctly, it is not possible to look TV on a normal car AV device.
My 7" car AV device can play movies (DVD, SD, TV, Etc.) but doesn't allow to play visual media while driving.
Every AV device has a connection which blocks the playing of AV while the car is runnning.

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:
13 hours ago, smedly said:

I have seen people with TV's mounted on dashbords here 

if installed correctly, it is not possible to look TV on a normal car AV device.
My 7" car AV device can play movies (DVD, SD, TV, Etc.) but doesn't allow to play visual media while driving.
Every AV device has a connection which blocks the playing of AV while the car is runnning.

Not quite..... you're applying western logic.... 

.... if installed correctly as the customer wants it the Video works ALL the time. 

Then of course there are just the phones / tablets balanced on the dash etc... 

This is a photo I took in a taxi a few months ago.... 

Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 08.30.49.png

• Sad 1