Good news for foreigners wanting to reside in Thailand

On 5/12/2022 at 1:45 AM, Caldera said:

I'd wait for the details to be published before getting excited about those new visas. I've seen quite a few interpretations of requirements that look way too optimistic in my opinion.

The Thai authorities unfortunately have a tendency to complicate things (or to sour the deal) by dreaming up unworkable procedures or nonsensical (secondary) requirements.

Plus, authorities are always leery of the other cultured farangs that pray on the naive and unsuspecting Thais. The reason for such requirements. 

NOTE: Read with tongue in cheek

1 hour ago, balo said:

Thanks, but no thanks, I think I'll just continue buying a 1 year visa from an agent for 15000.  

I didn't know you could buy a 1 year visa from an agent, year after year.

I've always extended my stay at 1,900 Baht a year directly at the Immigration Office, that's probably saved me almost 200,000 Baht over the agent route over the years, but each to their own. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Capella said:

Try getting your other half into places like Australia, the UK or the US - tons of money and paperwork involved.

I've given up on trying to get a simple tourist visa to America for my Thai Lady. Never gonna happen. Even if I marry her it would take years.

8 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I've given up on trying to get a simple tourist visa to America for my Thai Lady. Never gonna happen. Even if I marry her it would take years.

Even a tourist visa would take years? That's surprising. Lot's of Thais travel to the USA as tourists with no issues. 

5 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

I didn't know you could buy a 1 year visa from an agent, year after year.

I've always extended my stay at 1,900 Baht a year directly at the Immigration Office, that's probably saved me almost 200,000 Baht over the agent route over the years, but each to their own. 

and paying 1,900 baht/year for renewal extension of stay x 10 years it's only 19,000 baht,  thus long term visa  cost 500,000 - 19,000 = 481,000 baht savings

4 hours ago, Capella said:

Even a tourist visa would take years? That's surprising. Lot's of Thais travel to the USA as tourists with no issues. 

There aren't any true short term tourist visas for America. Read the USA embassy web site and it says in bold letters that your chances are slim. The shortest visa other than a business visa is for years.

I won't take the time to reply further except to say that if you search this forum site you will see how difficult it is for a single Thai woman without multiple ties to Thailand to get a visa. They need bank accounts, families, kids, work history, house, car, dying mother, etc.

I have read about this visa but I am not clear about the qualifications and what you get in return.

What I read is:

1/ you need to have a yearly income of 80,000 USD/ year

2/ you need to have health insurance with minimum coverage of 50,000USD/ uear

3/ you need to 100,000USD minimum assets or in a bank account.

Is that correct?

That will give you a 10 years visa? What else? Can you work with this visa? Is it a 10 years visa but renewable every year?

Is there a minimum age to qualify?

I am 54 years old. Not married. My yearly income is above 80,000USD/ year (working contract but not in Thailand. My health insurance coverage is about 150,000USD/year.

Even if i own property in Thailand, they are not under my name but my son name.

Does it make me qualify?

On 5/12/2022 at 12:46 AM, sqwakvfr said:

I have an OA with the required health insurance and it would cost me more to obtain this LTR.  On the surface it sounds good but “devil is in the details”.  Many will find this out when they look deeper into it.  

Here are the specific requirements for the “Wealthy/Retired category”

Groups 1 & 2: Wealthy Foreigners and Retirees

• Must purchase a health insurance policy which covers medical expenses of no less than US$50,000 for at least 10 months starting from the date of the application OR provide a social security certificate covering medical expenses in Thailand OR provide proof of at least US$100,000 held in a Thai or foreign bank account for at least 12 months prior to the application date.
  • Must have evidence of an average income of at least US$80,000 for at least 12 months prior to the application date.

It looks like this is meant to cater towards the mainland Chinese.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, KhunLA said:

Here's the not so fine print, from another news-blip.   Why would anyone who fits these, even consider living in Thailand:

image.png.dd3b23cf4da328327f414c50a9becd7a.png

Could you please share where you saw this reported?

For the first category "Rich global citizens", every piece i've read suggests that all of those criteria must be met. Your screenshot suggests that it would be enough to meet the last 2 requirements.

That's a big difference.

47 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Could you please share where you saw this reported?

For the first category "Rich global citizens", every piece i've read suggests that all of those criteria must be met. Your screenshot suggests that it would be enough to meet the last 2 requirements.

That's a big difference.

Dated Sep 2021 ... changed ?

https://www.pacificprime.co.th/blog/thailand-to-introduce-long-term-residency-visas/

On 5/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, jphasia said:

I have read about this visa but I am not clear about the qualifications and what you get in return.

What I read is:

Is that correct?

That will give you a 10 years visa? What else? Can you work with this visa? Is it a 10 years visa but renewable every year?

I am 54 years old. Not married. My yearly income is above 80,000USD/ year (working contract but not in Thailand. My health insurance coverage is about 150,000USD/year.

Does it make me qualify?

get the 10 year O-X visa, need to apply from home country though, nothing like the criteria they are talking about for this supposed new visa

https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

Edited by howerde
missing text
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, howerde said:

get the 10 year O-X visa, need to apply from home country though, nothing like the criteria they are talking about for this supposed new visa

https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

Thanks. But that doesn't explain me about the other visa (I think LTR) requirements.

I believe my options in terms of visa are ok as I am above 50 years old, have sufficient incomes, have a Thai child ( even if he is 23 years now) but i wondered about the LTR visa.

I have not been to my original country for more than 20 years. Still working but mostly in neighboring countries (Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar..). At the moment in Vietnam and as travel get easiers now, i am back to Thailand more often now. Actually, i am my way to Thailand today. I was back from Thailand on 8th May. I don't have visa at the moment, so entering on visa exempts. But i know that i might be soon question at immigration. I am considering to first go for a Non O "retirement" with 1 year extension and re-entry permit. But i need to find ths time for that.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, jphasia said:

What I read is:

Is that correct?

Does it make me qualify?

The 10 year visa they are talking about, does not exist, they are still talking about it(and have been for years), and the 80 000usd is from a pension not working. the only 10 year visa available is the 0-X,  the other options are O-A or non O based on retirement, not sure if you can get a visa based on Thai child as they are 23, but worth looking at or there is the Thai elite https://www.thailandelite.com/

Edited by howerde
  • Thanks 1