Good news for foreigners wanting to reside in Thailand

14 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

More complex  bonkers unrealistic ideas.  Can you imagine  the chaos if these clowns had to take part in military action to defend  their country?

Fortunately it wouldn’t be Immigration in the trenches.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Capella said:

Thailand isn't part of Indonesia though. Every country in the world has different rules on who is and isn't welcome to stay. 

Correct , yet they are both members of ASEAN .

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If you marry an Indonesian girl you get a 25 year visa with no strings attached.

And if you divorce after 10 years you can stay for life.

But there are precious few Indonesian girls here... not sure in all my years I ever met even one!

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Capella said:

Try getting your other half into places like Australia, the UK or the US - tons of money and paperwork involved.

Just a footnote. I have had no difficulty with twice gaining US Tourist Visas for my ex-girlfriend. Experiences do vary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

More complex  bonkers unrealistic ideas.  Can you imagine  the chaos if these clowns had to take part in military action to defend  their country?

Would they defend the country or just a particular institution?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Just a footnote. I have had no difficulty with twice gaining US Tourist Visas for my ex-girlfriend. Experiences do vary.

try getting a "Residents Visa" for your partner into Australia and not a "Tourist Visa". There is a big difference between "Tourist Visa" and "Resident Visa" in every country. This thread is about "Residency" not visiting "Tourists"

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

We're talking about residency, not tourism.

• Like 1

curious to know the tax regime these people will incur. 

Good luck to apply the standard progressive tax regime for those salaries.

Who wanna see at least the 20% of their salary in taxes in a country which give you back nothing, or better. which gives you back double prices ????

If they do a little flat tax , they can attract people. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Capella said:

Thailand isn't part of Indonesia though. Every country in the world has different rules on who is and isn't welcome to stay. 

I think the point is that other countries in the region have policies that are far less xenophobic and far less complicated than all the ridiculous schemes they are constantly inventing in Thailand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have an OA with the required health insurance and it would cost me more to obtain this LTR.  On the surface it sounds good but “devil is in the details”.  Many will find this out when they look deeper into it.  

Here are the specific requirements for the “Wealthy/Retired category”

Groups 1 & 2: Wealthy Foreigners and Retirees

• Must purchase a health insurance policy which covers medical expenses of no less than US$50,000 for at least 10 months starting from the date of the application OR provide a social security certificate covering medical expenses in Thailand OR provide proof of at least US$100,000 held in a Thai or foreign bank account for at least 12 months prior to the application date.
  • Must have evidence of an average income of at least US$80,000 for at least 12 months prior to the application date.

As the Tagline says "Wealthy ... category". If you don't have the money then the "Wealthy/Retired category" LTR visa is not for you.