Used Bookstores

ThePunPun

Being out of the loop now for some time now due to health reasons, I ask the following.  Are there any Used Bookshops in  CM that still sell paperback books?    I know that there were a few just a couple years ago.   I also know that the internet easy access to download books has put a crunch on these type of shops.  I don't want to buy books but rather would like to sell what is years of accumulated  paperbacks.  Now its gotten to be time to clean out the closets.  Anybody care to answer?

I think I have bought books in about every used-book store in CM, although 2 years since last time. I always wonder how they can make a living of it.  After paying rent and salary how much can they actually pay for the inventory books?? I guess it must be close to nothing, except something really special?

The biggest and best second hand book stores in Chiang Mai are :

(A) On the Road Book shop on Ratchawithi Rd, 50 m down from the UN Pub, in new premises (2 shop houses) almost opposite the site they were at for many years.

(B) The Lost Book Shop almost opposite Mungala Health Clinic on Ratchamanka Rd. Owner "Irish George" re located all stock from his other store Back Street Books way back. There's books from floor to ceiling, again in 2 shop houses. 

Both stores didn't stopped trading right through the 2 years of Covid.

I was in Lost Books very recently and George has also brought in new book releases and authors. Surprised their were some youngish tourists perusing and buying

Both still offer 50% refund when books are returned.

There are some other shops selling but these 2 are the biggest.

But to the original OP's  enquiry not sure any shop is buying at present until tourism gets back on its feet. Fact they remained open is due to a loyal, local customer base

Free Bird Cafe at Nimman welcome DONATIONS of books which they sell very cheaply with money for the work and funding they are doing to help the poor souls in the north of the country

• 1 month later...

In a bit of updating this old post, I have several hundred paperbacks that I would like to sell.  I have checked with several of the bookstores and it seems they are not buying at the present time.  I would make a very special price for someone to buy the lot.  I am presently gathering them up from boxes and closets so I can't give an exact count but it may be over 500 when I find them all.  Anyone have an interest or would like to offer a suggestion on how I should go about finding a buyer?

14 hours ago, Nup Nup said:

suggestion on how I should go about finding a buyer?

posting some more info would help;

Type of books by genre, hardback, paperback condition

Rough idea of costs per type of book or bulk options

Pick up or delivery

etc

• 2 months later...

Thank you DezLez.  Apologize for the tardy delay, but had some hospital time as well as some computer difficulties. 

The books are 95% paperbacks though In do have some hardbacks. Most are in bookstore condition.  Mostly mystery, adventure types.

I have checked with a couple of the stores and it seems that they are not buying at present times due to economic hard times,  This statement should reflect that it was about a couple months ago that I checked.   My question at this time is.... does anyone know of anyone buying today, as economic conditions have changed and there are more tourists visiting Thailand, as the covid situation has eased up.  Appreciate any positive input.