Tax for new iPhone and Apple Watch from US

Tarteso

Only 7% VAT on the value of the goods plus shipping and insurance. 

However!!! If the value is 40,000 Baht you’ll need to register as an importer first which is a bit of a hassle. And don’t try putting a low value on the paperwork, Thai customs just checks what the items cost in Thailand and will work backwards from there to asses the true import value.
Also beware that you will need to get an import license if the iPhone or watch have broadcast band abilities other than those in the models already licensed in Thailand, something you will definitely not be able to do, and you’ll lose the goods. 

My advice; ask money and purchase the Apple stuff here, cheaper and much less hassle. Plus you’ll then also have warranty. IPhones do not have worldwide warranty. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Daughter wants to send a gift from the US, a new iPhone and Apple watch, can someone tell me how much tax I have to pay when I receive the package? Thanks

don't do it, it's going to be a mess. Prices for Apple toys are the same when adjusted for currencies. Package will probably be seized, or stolen etc... complete waste of time.

Unless you are retired and have nothing else to do and don't mind spending hours dealing with Thai staff and their administrative loop ????

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Only 7% VAT on the value of the goods plus shipping and insurance. 

However!!! If the value is 40,000 Baht you’ll need to register as an importer first which is a bit of a hassle. And don’t try putting a low value on the paperwork, Thai customs just checks what the items cost in Thailand and will work backwards from there to asses the true import value.
Also beware that you will need to get an import license if the iPhone or watch have broadcast band abilities other than those in the models already licensed in Thailand, something you will definitely not be able to do, and you’ll lose the goods. 

My advice; ask money and purchase the Apple stuff here, cheaper and much less hassle. Plus you’ll then also have warranty. IPhones do not have worldwide warranty. 

Good answer, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Thanks for response, but she got already..It's late. She got them for company points.

tell her to keep them there or you will be for a $$$$ surprise

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

tell her to keep them there or you will be for a $$$$ surprise

It may even be cheaper to go over to the states and collect the beast. The airport staff don't bother with trivial things like phones provided they are "used" (so leave to box at home).

Also, be sure it will actually work on the GSM/3G/4G/5G bands in use here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

It may even be cheaper to go over to the states and collect the beast. The airport staff don't bother with trivial things like phones provided they are "used" (so leave to box at home).

Also, be sure it will actually work on the GSM/3G/4G/5G bands in use here.

Just what I was thinking, make a trip for Christmas ????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Justtaste said:

Tell her to send you the money so you can buy it from here or else you might pay half the prices to receive them

This one.

Or just have her order it from the thai Apple online shop (is it still fulfilling out of SIngapore?) for delivery to you.

17 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Thanks for response, but she got already..It's late. She got them for company points.

Nevermind. Next time lead with this.

17 hours ago, Tarteso said:

can someone tell me how much tax I have to pay when I receive the package? Thanks

You mean "if" you receive the package.

Two issues: 

VAT

Importing radio technology without a license

Excise has clamped down since the cross-border VAT agreement put in place last year.

Good luck, some stuff gets through, obviously. Other stuff ends up in the local market.

Absolute minimum would be 7%, not sure about shipping? Maybe ~ $100-ish?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This one.

Or just have her order it from the thai Apple online shop (is it still fulfilling out of SIngapore?) for delivery to you.

Nevermind. Next time lead with this.

You mean "if" you receive the package.

Two issues: 

VAT

Importing radio technology without a license

Excise has clamped down since the cross-border VAT agreement put in place last year.

Good luck, some stuff gets through, obviously. Other stuff ends up in the local market.

Absolute minimum would be 7%, not sure about shipping? Maybe ~ $100-ish?

Mobiles are zero duty plus 7% VAT on the CIF value.  

The killer is going to be the potential requirement for an import licence for radio kit.