U.S. Social Security Deposit In Bangkok Bank New York Questions

I received the form to fill out to change my S.S. deposit from a U.S. bank to Bangkok Bank, New York.  I brought the form to a branch office over here and they were clueless.  "Never do before."   Can anyone on the forum who has successfully done this before help provide the correct information?

The person at the bank entered our Thai bank account in the Account Number area.  Then, entered BKKBTHBK in the Swift Code box.  They did not enter the "026008691" account number that is supposed to be used for the NY office.  When checking SWIFT codes, the code for the N.Y. office is "BKKBUS33".

Is the account # 02600869 to be entered on in the account field followed by our Thai account number in the same field?  Which SWIFT code is the correct one to use?  I included a pdf document of the form and the bottom two boxes on page 1 are what I am questioning.

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can provide.

SSA-1199 Thailand.pdf

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To have the transfers setup be done via Bangkok Bank in New York you need to open a special direct deposit account.

Info here: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-US-to-Thailand-via-Bangkok-Bank-NewYork-branch

If wanting to set up a International Direct Deposit (IDP) you have to have a form completed and sent to the office in Manila. Link for the form. https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Does this mean they started SS benefits from Thailand? Is the reason I did it online because I went back to US and did a face to face with SS official to start my benefits?

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Does this mean they started SS benefits from Thailand? Is the reason I did it online because I went back to US and did a face to face with SS official to start my benefits?

I got mine started from here and dealt with the SSA office in Manila. At that time the way have the payments sent to Bangkok Bank was via the New York branch.

The International Direct Deposits (IDP) to any Thai bank started in late 2018. The transfers are done from the SSA in Thai baht and are not shown as international transfers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I got mine started from here and dealt with the SSA office in Manila. At that time the way have the payments sent to Bangkok Bank was via the New York branch.

The International Direct Deposits (IDP) to any Thai bank started in late 2018. The transfers are done from the SSA in Thai baht and are not shown as international transfers.

All I know is I had a pension and SS going to US bank, a  year ago I went online SS website and OPM website where you can change deposit info. My pension and SS now gets dropped into Bangkok Bank as "International Transfer".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

All I know is I had a pension and SS going to US bank, a  year ago I went online SS website and OPM website where you can change deposit info. My pension and SS now gets dropped into Bangkok Bank as "International Transfer".

You are lucky the transfers have come through the Bangkok Bank Branch in New York without setting up direct deposit account. Maybe it slipped through since it shows it came from the SSA or US treasury to meet the ACH transfer requirement  IAT code.

All of this has been discussed on the Home Country forum many times.

• Like 1

I did the same; set up my SS on line using Bangkok Banks USA Routing\Transit Number: 026008691 and my account number.  I also have my FERS Retirement direct deposited to them as well.  As far as I know, Bangkok Bank will accept ACH transfers from all US Government agencies.  As mentioned there's no need to go to a Bangkok Bank branch to fill out a direct deposit form.  If you do the branch will have no clue as to the USA routing number and will use the international SWIFT code.

My brother was doing such for years Bangkok Bank in New York for his S. S. He was also using ATM in Thailand to access money from his private bank for his pension. 

Last year I showed him how to use Wise set up account showed him how much he was paying,  what he is too gain from the higher rate even after paying the fee put into his Bangkok Bank account.  In the end each month sent his pension over and now his S. S.  With the higher rate and exchange today well over 10,000 baht extra each month.  

Told him also reason " living expense " so far so good transfer listed as FTT each time. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

My brother was doing such for years Bangkok Bank in New York for his S. S. He was also using ATM in Thailand to access money from his private bank for his pension. 

Last year I showed him how to use Wise set up account showed him how much he was paying,  what he is too gain from the higher rate even after paying the fee put into his Bangkok Bank account.  In the end each month sent his pension over and now his S. S.  With the higher rate and exchange today well over 10,000 baht extra each month.  

Told him also reason " living expense " so far so good transfer listed as FTT each time. 

Have been doing exactly this with my pension and will do same when SS kicks in later this year. Have monthly SS deposited to my US bank account and transfer to my Bangkok Bank account using MoneyGram (or Wise). I use both. Works great and more money in the bank. ????

• Like 1

It's quite simple.

Just have your "countryside" Bangkok bank talk with the head office. The latter knows what they're doing.

When I opened an account with Bangkok Bank for social security deposits it was quite painless and all communication with the SS office in the Philippines was handled without my interjection.

All will go well if the local Bangkok bank talks/works with the bank's head office.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jaybott said:

I did the same; set up my SS on line using Bangkok Banks USA Routing\Transit Number: 026008691 and my account number.  I also have my FERS Retirement direct deposited to them as well.  As far as I know, Bangkok Bank will accept ACH transfers from all US Government agencies.  As mentioned there's no need to go to a Bangkok Bank branch to fill out a direct deposit form.  If you do the branch will have no clue as to the USA routing number and will use the international SWIFT code.

OK!  So what gets entered in the two fields at the bottom of page 1 of the SS form?  In the left field do I enter the 026008691 account number followed by my thai bangkok bank account number and nothing in the SWIFT code box?  Or do I use the bkkbus33 code for the new york bangkok bank swift code?

On 5/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, cnx1204 said:

The U.S. financial system requires any U.S. Govt monies directly deposited in a Thai bank be deposited into an account certified by the bank as requiring in person withdrawals only.  ATM card are not allowed.  That is the intent of the form and most Bangkok Bank branches know that.  

I thought that when SS started the IDD system to a Thailand bank account, the Thai bank account no longer had restrictions. They no longer required you physically visit a branch to withdraw funds, and ATM cards and online banking/transfers are allowed.

• Like 1

A few months ago I went through the PI US Social security office (slow process not yet finished) and I asked for US dollars to be sent to my Bangkok bank normal savings account. seems like all will be well sooner or later.

My question is would it be better to have the SS payments sent to my US checking account and then have the US dollars sent to my Thai Bangkok Bank account  (as dollars)?

The difference would be my transfer costs - would they be lower one way or another or very similar? I think my exchange rate would be about the same - as Bangkok bank would do the change from USD to THB in both cases.

A thought, if I waited 6 months or a year to send the money from my US bank (instead of having the US SS office send the money) maybe I could save some transfer money?

I pay about $25 to send a wire to Thailand. Exchange rates would still be about the same?

Edited by TravelerEastWest

On 5/14/2022 at 8:58 PM, patekatek said:

OK!  So what gets entered in the two fields at the bottom of page 1 of the SS form?  In the left field do I enter the 026008691 account number followed by my thai bangkok bank account number and nothing in the SWIFT code box?  Or do I use the bkkbus33 code for the new york bangkok bank swift code?

OP - Your Bangkok Bank (BBL) branch entered it correctly for International Direct Deposit (IDD):  Your BBL account number and then BKKBTHBK.

IDD does not use BBL's ACH Routing Transit Number (026008691), and IDD is not handled by the BBL NYC branch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Two transfer methods exist for direct deposit of SS payments to Thailand and each method uses a different form and different rules such as one method requires a special/restricted Bangkok Bank savings acct.

Method 1 which I will call the "Automated Clearing House (ACH) Transfer method which has been around for decades uses an ACH/ABA routing number such as the Bangkok Bank "New York" branch ACH/ABA routing number of 026008691 along with your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank special/restricted saving account number.   For "reoccurring U.S. govt pension payments" like SS, military retirement, OPM, etc., which are sent via the ACH Transfer method a special/restricted acct is required.   Bangkok Bank is the "only" Thai bank with capability to receive ACH transfers/payments.  See ubonjoe's earlier post talking this kind of acct.   The form used to sign-up for ACH direct deposit is the SF-1199A form which uses ACH/ABA routing number....see below weblink for example of the SF-1199A   The govt sends payment only via U.S. dollars which Bangkok Bank converts to Thai baht using their TT Buying Rate unless you are sending to a Bangkok Bank US Dollar acct.   And the ACH direct deposit method (i.e, use of ACH/ABA number) is typically the only method offered when signing up online where no paper form is used.

https://www.uspto.gov/sites/default/files/documents/DirectDepositSF1199A.pdf

Method 2 is the International Direct Deposit (IDD) method which has been around for Thailand for approx 3 years and uses your Thai bank SWIFT code along with your Thai bank acct number.   For IDD you can use "any" Thai bank....not limited to just Bangkok Bank like for ACH payments.   A regular/unrestricted savings acct can be used (even with Bangkok Bank bank)....a special/restricted acct is not required.  However, IDD payments can still be sent to a Bangkok Bank special/restricted acct if for some reason a person wants those restrictions.  For IDD, the U.S. govt makes payment in Thai baht (i.e., the U.S. govt/their U.S. contractor bank converts to Thai baht before sending to your Thai bank using a U.S. Govt/U.S. contractor bank exchange rate).  For IDD the govt only makes makes payment to Thailand in Thai baht...will not send U.S. dollars even to a Thai bank U.S. dollar acct.   The IDD direct deposit method is typically "not" offered for online sign-up and instead the paper form must be used which a different form from the ACH method IDD method uses the SA-1199-OP107 form which the OP included in his opening post and at SSA weblink below.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Summary: for Thailand two methods are available for SS payment...the ACH method (uses ACH/ABA routing number) and the IDD method (uses SWIFT code).  Different forms and different rules apply with these two methods...don't confuse to the two to help avoid confusing yourself and your Thai bank.

Pib,

What a detailed post - good job! Thank you.

I filled out the form for method 2 by printing the form and then sending via email a photo which was accepted in the Philippines but has not yet been approved in Maryland.

It looks like it will actually arrive in Thai baht not in dollars to be converted by Bangkok Bank.

Will the exchange rate be better if I deposit to my American bank account and transfer the money myself?

If using direct deposit is there a transfer fee? (If not I probably will stay with direct deposit - speed is not important)

More great information - thank you!

For me I am not concerned about international coding or special accounts.

My fee to transfer from Schwab is a flat $25 plus Bangkok bank fees.

I think I will let the payments start with IDD as the paperwork is in process (very slow...) and my SS payments are small as I took out my retirement income as a lump sum when I moved to Thailand from a State plan.

Later I may switch to depositing o my US bank and then transfer once a year using a swift wire transfer.

Interestingly, my wife gets a small SS payment while my kids are in high school (to care for them) and they also each get a small monthly payment. When the kids finish high school the extra payments will stop. I mention this as these payments are also being sent direct deposit but are a small mo they amount so probably not worthwhile to setup something different...

Just as gee-whiz info, in a similar SS topic back on 5 Jan 2022 I made a post which included below Nov 2021 snapshot that showed the number of folks receiving SS payments "with a Thailand address" on-file with the SSA.  Those using ACH are listed under the Direct Deposit Payments Through U.S. Banks (like Bangkok Bank New York branch).  Those using IDD were listed under the column titled International Payments.   

As of Nov 2021 the total 7,979 monthly SS payments 1,078 were being made by IDD....the remaining 6,865 via ACH....see Nov 2021 snapshot below.  But as of Nov 2022 of the 8,092 monthly SS payments 1,241 were being made by IDD...the remaining 6,808 via ACH.  Notice use of ACH is decreasing and IDD increasing.

Those preferring  the IDD method has steadily increased over the last few years....since Nov 2018 when IDD first became available to for Thailand on a small scale, testing basis.  But it wasn't until early-mid 2019 that SSA really opened-up IDD for Thailand to any beneficiary who wanted to sign up.  Back around the end of 2018 less than 100 folks were using Thailand IDD....now it's over 1,200 as shown in below Nov 2022 snapshot.   I expect many still do not know that IDD for Thailand exists and still think only ACH using a Bangkok Bank special/restrictive acct is available.  And others have heard about IDD but prefer to continue with the ACH method for various reasons even though using IDD may be better for them as I expect many folks simply don't want to get involved in dealing with the SSA and/or Thai bank again regarding their monthly SS payment as both the SSA and Thai bank can sometimes be frustrating to deal with.  So, I expect the increase in IDD use and decrease in ACH use will remain slow but steady.

November 2021 Snapshot

image.png.5a08f1e0a880f55a011ea028de73b8b3.png

April 2022 Snapshot

image.png.aa2e1105c2b583d129079ab470d8f77c.png

• Thanks 2

"the SSA and/or Thai bank again regarding their monthly SS payment as both the SSA and Thai bank can sometimes be frustrating to deal with."

So true... but at least with Thai banks I can stop by and ask them to fix the problem and they usually do although you need to be patient.

I needed a company registration certificate for a bank statement and I did not want to go down to teh government office and wait in line to get it - the local bank manger went online and got it for me. Which was great as I didn't know it was possible.

But with the PI SS office - very slow and they really don't care...

My SS total is very small around $900 a month so I will experiment with direct deposit - but in the future I may switch to an American bank and send the money once a year...

Thanks again for your help!

Update:

I just received my first Social Security payment to my normal Bangkok Bank savings account. Everything went smoothly but I think I will change to having the money sent to my American bank account and once a year sent to Thailand as the transfer/sending amount was too high.

Anyone know how long it takes to change to having the money sent to my American account?

Should I go through Maryland or the PI office? (I am in Thailand)

28 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Update:

I just received my first Social Security payment to my normal Bangkok Bank savings account. Everything went smoothly but I think I will change to having the money sent to my American bank account and once a year sent to Thailand as the transfer/sending amount was too high.

Anyone know how long it takes to change to having the money sent to my American account?

Should I go through Maryland or the PI office? (I am in Thailand)

I made my change online, from US bank to Thai bank. Took about a month.

On 5/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, cnx1204 said:

Over the last 15 years , I have helped 15-20 Thais and Thai/Americans get their SS benefits directly deposited in Bangkok Bank accounts.   For every single one of them, I used the SSA-1199-OP107 form (March 2020, previous forms obsolete) you mentioned, UbonJoe, and sent it to Manila.   The last one was yesterday.

I want to say 90+% of the time, email has been sufficient.  Occasionally, someone has a unique case and has to mail it in with supporting document (originals or certified copies).  

The U.S. financial system requires any U.S. Govt monies directly deposited in a Thai bank be deposited into an account certified by the bank as requiring in person withdrawals only.  ATM card are not allowed.  That is the intent of the form and most Bangkok Bank branches know that.  

I have SS deposited run BKK Bank. I take out in person, but also via ATM, transfers to others, and debit card charges on Lazada, etc.

I did not set up a "special account" as someone mentioned earlier. The branch bank manager signed off on a 15 year old existing savings account.

Manilla SSA is horrible: incompetent, unknowledgeable, and generally unresponsive. Their English is sub-standard. I'd suggest you continue having your benefits deposited stateside, and using Wise to transfer to BKK Bank every quarter. 

I am in the process of changing back to just that.