Thai passport(s) expired / US passport(s) valid

Hi all.  Not sure were to post this question - moderators can move it it need be.

My kids are dual citizens - US / Thailand.  Right now I am on assignment outside of Thailand (for the next 4 months).  My wife and I noticed that their Thai passports are expired - they are home in Thailand, I am in the US.  For her to renew them in Thailand, I have to sign a consent form either at the Thai Consulate in NYC or via mail with the Thai Embassy in DC - of course the Embassy doesn't make this easy as they want my passport not just notarized but actually apostilled by the State Department in DC.  Getting State to do this will take weeks and then mailing it to me back to the Embassy, getting them to mail be the stamped consent form and sending that back to Thailand ... I'll be home by then!

Question, even though their Thai passports are expired, their US passports are fine.  Can they leave Thailand with an expired Thai passport and valid US passport since they will be traveling to the US on their US passports.  Or will Thai immigration at the airport kick up a fuss?  Which I imagine is the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Where was your Wife told she needed consent from the father? (could they have been mistaken between renewal and first passport ?).

My Wife renewed my Son’s Thai Passport without any need for me to sign any consent. 

She made a booking at the one-stop-passport renewal place at Lumpini BTS in Bangkok.

The renewal passport was received a couple of days later in the post.

4 hours ago, Puccini said:

I wonder if the child's age makes a difference as to whether the other parent's writteen cosent is required wih the application for a passport renwal.

Yes under 20 years old, needs both parents to be present, although only Thai mother actually signs.

46 minutes ago, BlueScouse said:

My daughter was 19 years 8 months old and I and the wife had to attend the passport office and countersign the form for a passport renewal.

41 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Yes under 20 years old, needs both parents to be present, although only Thai mother actually signs.

That may be the difference - I recall being present, but just waited doing nothing (it took 10mins max). 

I don’t recall signing anything, but perhaps I did. 

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

Nope.

My wife and I both signed on the PP application form for my child aged 2.5 yrs.

Further, they scanned my foreign PP and Pink ID card and updated it in the system.