Tourist visa from Vientienne

Does anybody have recent experience of obtaining a tourist visa from Vientienne (or from the Thai embassy in another neighbouring country)?

The reason I'm asking is I'm in Chiang Mai on a tourist visa - I've used the initial 60 days and I'm currently on a 30 day extension. I'm in the process of applying for a retirement visa. I've opened a Thai bank account and transferred 800k into it but the money won't have been in the account for 60 days before my tourist visa expires. I went to immigration last week and they suggested I apply for a 60 day extension based on covid. I did this but they didn't give me the extension straight away but stamped my passport saying it's under review and I'm to return to immigration next Monday. 

Maybe I'm worrying too much but I'm concerned that if they reject the covid extension I will only have 4 days left on my tourist visa so I was thinking my best option would be to go to a neighbouring country and hopefully get a new tourist visa which will give me time to convert to a retirement one.

33 minutes ago, milldav said:

I'm in the process of applying for a retirement visa. I've opened a Thai bank account and transferred 800k into it but the money won't have been in the account for 60 days before my tourist visa expires.

I don't follow. Forget the term "retirement visa"

You would be applying for non O based on retirement.

For that visa you require 800k in the bank on the day you apply.

That visa will stamp you in for 90 days. That period gives you time to season the funds for 2 months and then obtain you 12 month extension.

You require 15 days on your permission of stay to apply for the non O, perhaps that's why immigration gave you the covid extension.

Don't worry about your current under consideration period.

You have been given the covid extension. Just return for your stamp. All good. 

Edited by DrJack54

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't follow. Forget the term "retirement visa"

You would be applying for non O based on retirement.

For that visa you require 800k in the bank on the day you apply.

That visa will stamp you in for 90 days. That period gives you time to season the funds for 2 months and then obtain you 12 month extension.

You require 15 days on your permission of stay to apply for the non O, perhaps that's why immigration gave you the covid extension.

Don't worry about your current under consideration period.

You have been given the covid extension. Just return for your stamp. All good. 

Thanks for clearing that up - My mistake was thinking that when I applied for the non O based on retirement the 800k already had to be in for 2 months so when I went last week I didn't have the 15 days remaining on my current permission of stay. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, milldav said:

when I went last week I didn't have the 15 days remaining on my current permission of stay.

It's great that you received the covid extension, so not you can apply for the non O with 15+ days left on that permit and obtain your non O.

The process has been explained above.

Be aware that for the application for non O it needs to be shown that the money came from abroad.

How did you import the 800k? 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's great that you received the covid extension, so not you can apply for the non O with 15+ days left on that permit and obtain your non O.

The process has been explained above.

Be aware that for the application for non O it needs to be shown that the money came from abroad.

How did you import the 800k? 

I did a few transfers from my UK bank. It shows on my Bangkok Bank statement as 'foreign T/T' so hopefully that's ok. Thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's great that you received the covid extension, so not you can apply for the non O with 15+ days left on that permit

I thought the O/P said they were in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai requires 21 days left on their current stamp to apply for ANY Non-Immigrant visa at that office

49 minutes ago, tod-daniels said:

I thought the O/P said they were in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai requires 21 days left on their current stamp to apply for ANY Non-Immigrant visa at that office

Good point.

I'm too CW focussed.

Some offices have their own requirements.

@milldav be aware of what Todd outlined for CM you require 21 days.

Good news is you now have 60 up your sleeve to obtain your non O