RCBO Question

Bday Prang

My consumer unit is fitted with a RCBO as shown in the attached photo, my question is regarding the small on /  off switch in the lower right hand corner, when I press the "test" button with the small switch set to "off" it appears to work normally I.E the breaker trips out  However when I press the "test" button with the small switch set to "on" nothing happens !   To me this implies that the small switch should be normally be set to the "off" position for the RCBO to work normally. To my simple way of thinking this appears strange,and the more I think about it the more worried I get,  can any of our sparkies shed any light on this ?  Thanks in advance

Ckle2p-65-Earth-Leakage-Circuit-Breaker-ELCB.webp

I think the switch is "bypass" or something similar so "off" is correct (bypass is off).

Of course, everyone assumes that it means detection on/off in the absence of a label!

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think the switch is "bypass" or something similar so "off" is correct (bypass is off).

Of course, everyone assumes that it means detection on/off in the absence of a label!

Thanks for the  quick reply

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

As an alternative (and a general good idea) get one of these, or similar 01709A31-0FC0-420C-8727-B18823FCF324.thumb.jpeg.f4f7502f672bd082757ffec230aae86e.jpeg

Then you can’t test individual sockets to confirm that not only is the RCBO functioning correctly but also the sockets are wired correctly and have an earth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1