Naughty neighbours

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm retired, a 'neighbour war' gives me something to do.

What do you do? Turn the other cheek?

I wouldn't have bought the building to begin with, as probably most others here, because I think the situation is quite hopeless.

If OP wants to fight with them, then I wish him fun and good luck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
12 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

And you think they will then suddenly be like "ok, i tear down my building"? It will probably just start a war.

What do you do? Turn the other cheek?

Possibly, he's the FriendlyFarang 

• Haha 1

need to start thinking of how to resolve this without their assistance.  many options I'm sure with a little thought.   How can you redirect the water coming off their roofs?  Nothing wrong with asking them if they have any ideas if done politely.  It's Thailand anything goes but also remedies are are not too expensive.  Be creative!  I have some ideas how to have fun with the project which would include a water pump but that would probably not make the neighbors happy. Lots of conservative ideas...

Edited by atpeace

Yes thanks for the replies

the property was a good price and was next door to our existing property, so it was a land grab for possible extension, the land is 3 sizes more than the house & just 100m from a New skytrain station.

not the ideal neighbors, but it is what it is.

some ideas ive had.

instead of the concrete drive i dig  a gravel drainage channel say 50cm wide around the perimeter so run off goes down the wall and into that. I am also contemplating rendering the wall and using some kind of waterproof roof sealant.

as for the other side with blue tiles & spikes. Hmmm a higher wall perhaps with guttering added? 

im actually on friendly talking terms with both neighbours. But i have not brought up these issues yet, just testing the waters & thinking of a work arounds.

Edited by djlest

To turn the neighbors into enemies should be avoided at any cost if you plan to live there, I would say. At our previous house we had a noicy neighbor, that could not handle my wife`s complaints in a civilzed way... Turned up at 2 am trying to get inside, wife had only an iron bar as defense. It is simply not worth it, it takes up way to much of your mind to have people like that as neighbors. Before, he was about as normal as any thai I would say, but not anymore.

8 minutes ago, atpeace said:

need to start thinking of how to resolve this without their assistance.  many options I'm sure with a little thought.   How can you redirect the water coming off their roofs?  Nothing wrong with asking them if they have any ideas if done politely.  It's Thailand anything goes but also remedies are are not too expensive.  Be creative!  I have some ideas how to have fun with the project which would include a water pump but that would probably not make the neighbors happy. Lots of conservative ideas...

Yes my thoughts also, i need some creative construction ideas. The water run off is my main concern & damaged adjoining walls.

A water pump lol, yes i could also redirect my entire roofs run off to come down directly onto their plastic roof, i was testing it with my pressure washer yesterday, its loud. Lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, djlest said:

Yes my thoughts also, i need some creative construction ideas. The water run off is my main concern & damaged adjoining walls.

A water pump lol, yes i could also redirect my entire roofs run off to come down directly onto their plastic roof, i was testing it with my pressure washer yesterday, its loud. Lol

You seem to have the right disposition.  Just have fun with it and laugh at the situation.  You have to fix something that was created by somebody else.  You have no choice which is funny in its own way.  It would be hilarious to point the water pump at their bedroom window but sometime a good time isn't worth the consequences.  

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A lady friend of mine bought a house in Chiang Mai.  The neighbors put up a huge sun cover over their patio facing the front of her house that says the logo KFC.  All day just looking at it.  Low class could careless about others attitudes.  As with the OP, nothing can be done.

I would keep sending people over there asking for KFC every day. Few grab drivers perhaps. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What could possibly go wrong here when pissing off a Thai cop and Thai lawyer besides.....getting involved for years of multiple lawsuits, violence, trumped up criminal charges, jail, more crooked lawyers draining your bank account, deportation then losing your property in a civil lawsuit while you're in exile.   

Edited by LarrySR

if they refuse to do anything then the fun can begin, they  both seem to be ignoring buiding regulations, getting advice from the local govt as to whether or not what they have done is legal is the starting point, I doubt the way they have set their building to drain into your property is allowed but doing it by the book is the best way to go at this stage. If the local govt tells you what they have done is not allowed then you have room to to get them to take action to correct it or pay reparations to fix all the problems they are causing.

Edited by seajae

The police house I would put up a couple of wooden panels to block out his light, I would then chip off any brickwork overhanging the boundary wall, as for the other neighbour with the roof overhanging into your garden I would either fix up a tarpaulin so that it attached to the roof tiles and then tucked back over to their side of the wall this would catch the rain and push it back over their side, or I would remove the last row of roof tiles if they pulled out and key the rain into their property. But in the first instance I would talk to them individually and ask them to look at the problem and see what r they will do to resolve it

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

A lady friend of mine bought a house in Chiang Mai.  The neighbors put up a huge sun cover over their patio facing the front of her house that says the logo KFC.  All day just looking at it.  Low class could careless about others attitudes.  As with the OP, nothing can be done.

Yes indeed- the jolly old upper classes are so caring and sensitive

35 minutes ago, essex boys said:

The police house I would put up a couple of wooden panels to block out his light, I would then chip off any brickwork overhanging the boundary wall, as for the other neighbour with the roof overhanging into your garden I would either fix up a tarpaulin so that it attached to the roof tiles and then tucked back over to their side of the wall this would catch the rain and push it back over their side, or I would remove the last row of roof tiles if they pulled out and key the rain into their property. But in the first instance I would talk to them individually and ask them to look at the problem and see what r they will do to resolve it

I some how don't think you have lived here very long.