What is reality? How do you make sure you are not in a bubble? And do you care?

4 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I don't believe anything any more. There is too much money behind misinformation on all sides. Rupert Murdoch has monetized lies and benefits too much from division.

The three things that killed truth in media:

1. Reagan killed The Fairness Doctrine

2. Bill Clinton paved the way for media monopolies

3. Technology can now create stuff like this:

I think this was created using a GAN based AI system. Once this type of tech existed and was perfected for sound and video I don't see how anything online can be trusted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I think this was created using a GAN based AI system. Once this type of tech existed and was perfected for sound and video I don't see how anything online can be trusted. 

So what do you do to be informed?

Only believe what you see with your own eyes in the real world?

Trust your friends? And where did they get their new from?

What can we still believe?

4 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

Quite simple, choose a publicly funded news outlet back by a regulatory mandate to be unbiased and provide balanced content.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The ongoing court case with Johnny Depp and Amber Heard.

Yikes.

You're concerned about dueling publicists, and their armada of web warriors, fueling an entertainment story? Wow, not hard to figure which pill you took.

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I think it is more and more difficult to determine the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. 

How about you?

No, not at all. Just takes a bit of work though.

Often the "truth" doesn't come out for decades, so in addition to a bit of intelligence you also need some patience.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Cherrypicking news and find the middle standpoint. 

When it comes to Amber and Jonny it fits my view pretty much. There is no fire without smoke, and they are both crazy. However Johnnny is a bit more likable in my eyes, but is he as innocent as I would like to think? Nope, 

And you see how social media feeding you at once you click on a video who favorites Johhny for an example, your feed will be over flooded by only video’s favoring Johnny. Thats how we get blinded in the long run. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So what do you do to be informed?

Only believe what you see with your own eyes in the real world?

Trust your friends? And where did they get their new from?

What can we still believe?

Much the same as you I would guess. Try to choose a range of independent trusted sources and try to gauge bias. 

I think that generally we are headed for a dystopian future. 

Edited by Sqoop
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Quite simple, choose a publicly funded news outlet back by a regulatory mandate to be unbiased and provide balanced content.

Like the BBC or what do you have in mind?

I trusted BBC news for a long time. And then I saw the BS which they reported about the 2010 protests in Bangkok (which I could see in real every day). Now I don't trust the BBC anymore.

It might be that they tell the truth most of the time. But how can I/we know that? At least sometimes they definitely don't report the truth. And at least for me that is a reason not to trust them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yikes.

You're concerned about dueling publicists, and their armada of web warriors, fueling an entertainment story? Wow, not hard to figure which pill you took.

No, not at all. Just takes a bit of work though.

Often the "truth" doesn't come out for decades, so in addition to a bit of intelligence you also need some patience.

Do you prefer to discuss the truth about Trump and Biden? Or maybe the truth about the new president of the Philippines? The above is just an example. But it is a prominent example and one which people can discuss without fighting about politics. An intelligent person like you should understand that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Like the BBC or what do you have in mind?

I trusted BBC news for a long time. And then I saw the BS which they reported about the 2010 protests in Bangkok (which I could see in real every day). Now I don't trust the BBC anymore.

It might be that they tell the truth most of the time. But how can I/we know that? At least sometimes they definitely don't report the truth. And at least for me that is a reason not to trust them.

I think the BBC will crash and burn when the license fee is taken away. When they have to compete in an open market with real streaming services. They are very left leaning and woke. The nonsense that they currently put out, like Dr Who, reflects this. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The above is just an example. But it is a prominent example and one which people can discuss without fighting about politics.

Yes, a silly example. Two actors fighting. Who actually cares?

OK, maybe me...all I care about is Aquaman 2. And where can I read more about Amber and elon?

The poor DCEU, Ezra Miller behaving badly, now Aquaman 2 in trouble. 

The Axe of Zaslav still has heads to chop.

It's important not to confuse news with analysis. I remember when news was purely that - someone told us what had happened that day, usually with pictorial or video assistance, but they didn't then try to propaganda-ise it by taking one side or another, and 'explaining' why it had happened.  Now news is politicised, and often under the control of a single corporation, if not person, with an agenda.  Taking multiple sources, apportioning more belief to those with scientific reasoning and evidence (hence the push to demonise science by the pedlars of false news) and a proven track record over time, and making your own conclusions based on all available channels, will more likely lead to correct self analysis than simply believing in what your favourite one tells you to conclude.  You should also seriously consider the likelihood of a single guy on Twitter knowing the deepest secrets and "facts" about some topic that is totally outside his experience and knowledge, and treat what he is saying accordingly.

• Like 1

Usually I find I can trust what's reported by taxpayer-funded media in a democracy. The fact politicians are always trying to neuter or defund such media is a reasonable guide to its credibility, and theirs. The ABC in Australia is hated by politicians, because it fact checks many of the claims they make, with frequently embarrassing results. Here's an example:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-18/fact-check-michael-sukkar-first-home-buyers/101074546

As for commercial media, there are two gods. Circulation numbers, and advertising.

Guys like Murdoch get circulation by pandering to the lowest common denominator of society. It's probably unknown now for a motoring journalist employed by commercial media to give an honest review of any new vehicle, for fear of losing their jobs when the car advertiser cancels the revenue stream.

Social media is a wasteland. Apart from China and Russia subverting it to spread disinformation, it's a picnic ground for climate deniers, antivaxxers, Putin supporters and flat earthers to find support of their confirmation biases.

I could go on Facebook armed with a desk, teleprompter, shelf of books, and a serious expression, and spout the most arrant nonsense to an army of listeners who were behind the door when intelligence was handed out. Trump weaponised Twitter to do the same.

Who do I trust? Mostly myself.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, a silly example. Two actors fighting. Who actually cares?

OK, maybe me...all I care about is Aquaman 2. And where can I read more about Amber and elon?

The poor DCEU, Ezra Miller behaving badly, now Aquaman 2 in trouble. 

The Axe of Zaslav still has heads to chop.

Amber and Johnny is a great example of what people read and follow, and how people who do not know the facts take one side and defend them as they know the truth. Ordinary people, and the same goes for everything that is broadcasted in newschannels, people do not know <deleted>, but still claim they know based on biased journalists and newschannels. 

Before the news was about the country best, and leading people to make the best decisions necessary for the kingdoms best, or the nation best. Now all kind of deleted deleted confuse and manipulate larger part of the population, and you have managed to divert the country in to crisis we se now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Social media is a wasteland. Apart from China and Russia subverting it to spread disinformation, it's a picnic ground for climate deniers, antivaxxers, Putin supporters and flat earthers to find support of their confirmation biases.

In principle yes.

But lets imagine for a minute that Ukrainian people or maybe mercenaries would torture and kill Russian soldiers. Would anybody report that? And if the Russian media would report it would anybody believe it?

Or climate change: Writing or showing something which shows how bad the situation is is easy. Everybody wants to publish it and sure, those are the good guys. But what about if someone publishes a critical aspect about climate change. I.e. maybe this summer is colder than last summer and maybe even colder than a summer 20 years ago. It seem if anybody dares to write and/or publish such an article lots of people say right away: That is a climate denier. Cancel him! 

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle yes.

But lets imagine for a minute that Ukrainian people or maybe mercenaries would torture and kill Russian soldiers. Would anybody report that? And if the Russian media would report it would anybody believe it?

Or climate change: Writing or showing something which shows how bad the situation is is easy. Everybody wants to publish it and sure, those are the good guys. But what about if someone publishes a critical aspect about climate change. I.e. maybe this summer is colder than last summer and maybe even colder than a summer 20 years ago. It seem if anybody dares to write and/or publish such an article lots of people say right away: That is a climate denier. Cancel him! 

Before the war, BBC had a few documentaries about the growing Nazi army Azov regiments in Ukraine, now you can not mention it. It was also constantly reported as one of the most corrupt countries in Europe, but really doesn't make up for Russia's action against Ukraine. 

Both parts make war crimes no doubt about it, but again to be fair, media need to be used in favor of our countries best and the allies best.

Edited by Hummin

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I defend men, women always lie.

I know you now, and your stand against women based on your life story and experiences.

I would say we all lie, some more than others

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

I know you now, and your stand against women based on your life story and experiences.

I've never accused anyone of beating, abusing or raping me.

Many women make that sort of accusation all the time to anyone that will listen.

Whenever I get that old story I just say, "How long did he spend in jail"

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Many of us always tell the truth , I would say that most people are honest and always tell the truth and that just a few lie .

Saying that *Men always tell the truth and Woman always lie* is infact untrue in itself 

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Yes, and, possibly, get informed by a variety of news sources, from different countries, political views, and backgrounds. I still trust publicly funded news outlets a bit more than other ones, but I often "double-check", using other sources. There's nothing wrong with watching CNN and Fox News, or getting financial 'news' from the Wall Street Journal and Asean Now...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recommend PBS News Hour on youtube. The most objective reality based US tv news source I know. Of course many will find that approach boring.

....and there's a reason why some jovial circles refer to your beloved PBS as: 

Pentagon Broadcasting System/Corporation or Propaganda Broadcasting Service. 

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never accused anyone of beating, abusing or raping me.

Many women make that sort of accusation all the time to anyone that will listen.

Whenever I get that old story I just say, "How long did he spend in jail"

Most or many women do not tell they are raped or their husband beats them, they live with it and stay in it, and unfortunate some woman have no shame, and use it as a weapon wrongly, and make it harder for those who are abused to be believed. 

if you said the opposite same as me, I could easily said some woman wrongly use it as a weapon and make false claims against some men. It is not just black and white

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recommend PBS News Hour on youtube. The most objective reality based US tv news source I know. Of course many will find that approach boring.

How do you know that it is "The most objective reality based US tv news source"?