New Nissan Navara 2.3L

Who has one and are they any good......

Local Big C had a display showing the new 2.3L twin turbo.  It was a two door version with a 7 speed auto box, looked pretty meaty.

Wondering if they had gripped the quality control over here.  I run a new Navara King Cab for 3 years or so back in 07.  Used to shake, rattle a bit too much over the bad roads, swapped it for a Toyo Vigo, much better put together truck ... opinions will vary......

Mercedes basically used the Nissan truck for their truck offering, though I think now they abandoned the truck thing via low sales (price).

My thought is, Merc pulled one apart to see if it came up to their standard, which it did, though the V6 offering did have quite a few differences..

Yes, the trusty Vigo is a well put together long-lasting ride, but the Nissan is well worth looking into, in my humble opinion....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Mercedes basically used the Nissan truck for their truck offering, though I think now they abandoned the truck thing via low sales (price).

My thought is, Merc pulled one apart to see if it came up to their standard, which it did, though the V6 offering did have quite a few differences..

Yes, the trusty Vigo is a well put together long-lasting ride, but the Nissan is well worth looking into, in my humble opinion....????

The 'trusty Vigo' has not been available since it was replaced by the Revo in 2015, which later became the Rocco/Invincible, dependent on which market you are in.

Mercedes (and Renault) based their pick-up on the Nissan but these had many differences, including the bed dimensions.

The model that they followed was the European version, which also has different bed dimensions that the model made in Thailand.

Also, Europe do not get the latest version of the Navara (2020 model).

The reason why Mercedes pulled out of the market with the X-class pick-up was due to poor quality issues.

The got ripped apart on 'The Grand Tour' for their effort.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

The 'trusty Vigo' has not been available since it was replaced by the Revo in 2015, which later became the Rocco/Invincible, dependent on which market you are in.

Mercedes (and Renault) based their pick-up on the Nissan but these had many differences, including the bed dimensions.

The model that they followed was the European version, which also has different bed dimensions that the model made in Thailand.

Also, Europe do not get the latest version of the Navara (2020 model).

The reason why Mercedes pulled out of the market with the X-class pick-up was due to poor quality issues.

The got ripped apart on 'The Grand Tour' for their effort.

Yes, the Vigo is gone and now a Revo with a different "timing chain" engine..

Have you a link regarding Merc dumping Nissan because of quality issues..?

19 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes, the Vigo is gone and now a Revo with a different "timing chain" engine..

Have you a link regarding Merc dumping Nissan because of quality issues..?

Re: Merc dumping:

Mercedes didn't dump Nissan, they were stand alone at that stage, so they just stopped producing the vehicle.

I don't have a link about the reasons why Mercedes stopped selling the X-class but I work in the pick-up trade, exporting to customers worldwide and I am informed by European dealers that Mercedes pull out was a face saving exercise.

One was a major salesman for Nissan at that time and through his connections he was able to confirm this.

Edited by Bert got kinky

18 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Re: Merc dumping:

Mercedes didn't dump Nissan, they were stand alone at that stage, so they just stopped producing the vehicle.

I don't have a link about the reasons why Mercedes stopped selling the X-class but I work in the pick-up trade, exporting to customers worldwide and I am informed by European dealers that Mercedes pull out was a face saving exercise.

One was a major salesman for Nissan at that time and through his connections he was able to confirm this.

Mercedes (Nissan) and the Nissan pickup were assembled on the same assembly line, that is why I am interested in your post regarding quality etc.....????

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Mercedes (Nissan) and the Nissan pickup were assembled on the same assembly line, that is why I am interested in your post regarding quality etc.....????

Like I say, I have no direct link or evidence.

However, Motortrend summed it up quite well.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/mercedes-benz-x-class-pickup-truck-discontinued/

• 5 weeks later...

Just to weigh in and give my 2p as I have just collected one of the 7AT ones. Quality and ride seems a lot better compared to older Navara's I have driven (even with the stupid wheels I put on it!). I was also looking at the Revo Mid and Isuzu Hi-Landers, but bang for buck the Nissan came with more toys such as the 360 cam. My feelings may change once i get more miles under it, but I'd say it is worth considering. I wasn't a fan of the original look so I altered mine a little bit prior to collection (each to their own!)

1655457001125.jpg

Edited by pazienza
  • Thanks 1