Jump to content

Soi Dog Foundation calls for tougher enforcement of dog and cat breeding welfare laws


snoop1130
 Share

Recommended Posts

Soi-Dog-encourages-people-to-adopt-rather-than-buy-pets.-630x420.jpg

 

Almost a year after legislation came into effect regulating dog and cat breeders in Thailand, Soi Dog Foundation has expressed concern about its implementation, stating that concrete legal action has yet to be taken.

 

The pieces of legislation in question – Dog Welfare in Dog Breeding Farms and Cat Welfare in Cat Breeding Farms – were published in the Government Gazette on December 18, 2020 and became effective from June 16, 2021. However, little has been done to ensure they are being effectively implemented.

 

As a member of Thailand’s Cruelty Prevention and Welfare of Animal Committee, Soi Dog Foundation was closely involved in the drafting of this legislation which is in place to ensure the welfare of dogs and cats on breeding farms and in pet shops; enhance inspections of such farms and shops; and shut down those that do not comply with the necessary standards.

 

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

 

The standards outlined in the legislation include, among other things, the diet and amount an animal is fed, the size of their enclosure or resting place, their access to exercise, socialisation and veterinary care, the maximum number of litters they produce in their lifetime and at which point they should be retired from breeding altogether.

 

While Soi Dog Foundation does not agree with the intentional breeding of dogs and cats – particularly given the enormous stray population that already exists in the country – they recognise that it takes place and wish to ensure the wellbeing of all animals involved.

 

“We understand that it has been difficult [for the authorities] to visit breeding farms and other commercial facilities during the pandemic,” said Dr. Tuntikorn Rungpatana (Dr. Oob) who represents Soi Dog on the aforementioned committee. “However, during this time, we have seen farms close due to the economic crisis and animals abandoned which is also a major problem.”

 

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/05/18/soi-dog-foundation-calls-for-tougher-enforcement-of-dog-and-cat-breeding-welfare-laws/

 

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-05-18
 

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

While Soi Dog Foundation does not agree with the intentional breeding of dogs and cats

Dogs and cats living together!

                         Bill Murray

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

“They keep strays alive to carry on barking, biting and causing a mess, disease and traffic hazard. These people are part of the dog and cat problem.“

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Soi Dog Foundation

This lot have sterilised hundreds of dogs at great cost and effort.  These hundreds are then put back on the sois to continue defecating/urinating/disease spreading/accident causing/noise making/oxygen thieving lives to the detriment of people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, proton said:

They keep strays alive to carry on barking, biting and causing a mess, disease and traffic hazard. These people are part of the dog and cat problem.

Idiots compassion

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, proton said:

They keep strays alive to carry on barking, biting and causing a mess, disease and traffic hazard. These people are part of the dog and cat problem.

They sterilize them to stop further breeding, nobody enjoys watching them cause accidents, defecating & urinating in the sois, what do you suggest they do, leave them alone to carry on breeding which is why there are so many.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

They sterilize them to stop further breeding, nobody enjoys watching them cause accidents, defecating & urinating in the sois, what do you suggest they do, leave them alone to carry on breeding which is why there are so many.

Sadly  it does not appear to be working. Some areas, the situation may have improved but I suspect that is about image and those areas being wealthy. Where I live, if anything, there are now more stray dogs about than when I moved here over a decade ago.... likely since we have a few more kind souls feeding them... misguided. They cleared them away one day, but someone complained they were their pets and back they were in a few days. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, jacko45k said:

Sadly  it does not appear to be working. Some areas, the situation may have improved but I suspect that is about image and those areas being wealthy. Where I live, if anything, there are now more stray dogs about than when I moved here over a decade ago.... likely since we have a few more kind souls feeding them... misguided. They cleared them away one day, but someone complained they were their pets and back they were in a few days. 

Difficult to know if its working without knowing what those areas would be like had they not intervened. Not sure also how widespread their campaigns are in Thailand and if they covered your area but as their website states:

 

It is widely agreed that the only ethical and most effective way of managing a stray dog population is through a programme of mass spay and neuter, or CNVR (Catch, Neuter, Vaccinate, Return).

 

I've been to their main center in Phuket a couple of times and they do a fantastic job

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I've been to their main center in Phuket a couple of times and they do a fantastic job

Here in Pattaya area, I still often get a shock when I come round a corner and need to brake for a little pack of puppies.... I adopted a stray cat recently and the local vet charged me 2500 to get her neutered.... not within the means of the villagers around me. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Here in Pattaya area, I still often get a shock when I come round a corner and need to brake for a little pack of puppies.... I adopted a stray cat recently and the local vet charged me 2500 to get her neutered.... not within the means of the villagers around me. 

Agreed and while the government does next to nothing to address the problem at least there are some charities such as Soi Dog who at least show effort and provide this service for free through the generous donations of people who care.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

This lot have sterilised hundreds of dogs at great cost and effort.  These hundreds are then put back on the sois to continue defecating/urinating/disease spreading/accident causing/noise making/oxygen thieving lives to the detriment of people.

True, they have done less than 100 dogs a day since they started on average, Merely keeping the population boom down slightly, while pretending to be the answer and raking the money in

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, proton said:

True, they have done less than 100 dogs a day since they started on average, Merely keeping the population boom down slightly, while pretending to be the answer and raking the money in

Really?

 

Phuket, the stray population on the island is now officially under control. Global studies have shown that once 80% of the population has been neutered, the number of animals living on the streets begins to decline naturally. By 2025, there should be very few strays on the streets and beaches of Phuket.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They sterilize them to stop further breeding, nobody enjoys watching them cause accidents, defecating & urinating in the sois, what do you suggest they do, leave them alone to carry on breeding which is why there are so many.

Soi dog foundation should be putting these pests down not enabling them to carry on, their sterilisation numbers countrywide are ineffective

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, proton said:

Soi dog foundation should be putting these pests down not enabling them to carry on, their sterilisation numbers countrywide are ineffective

Aaaaah now I get you. Is that not illegal in Thailand?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Really?

 

Phuket, the stray population on the island is now officially under control. Global studies have shown that once 80% of the population has been neutered, the number of animals living on the streets begins to decline naturally. By 2025, there should be very few strays on the streets and beaches of Phuket.

Thus always comes up, what was done on an island with far fewer numbers cannot be replicated countrywide, not by the soi dog foundation anyway.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Aaaaah now I get you. Is that not illegal in Thailand?

Lots of things are but still takes place

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, proton said:

Lots of things are but still takes place

Yes that would do it, carry out mass executions of stray dogs and cats even though its illegal and they would be prosecuted.

 

I hear Soi Dog also does great work in stopping the dog meat trade:

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of Western countries have strict laws on breeding pets,still many dogs and cats are being

culled every year.

Another law in Thailand that will and can not be enforced.

I know of so called"breeders"that keep their dog in very small cages and produce puppies

by the dozens.

Puppies are cute and easy to sell to gullible people.

After 3 months they loose the cuteness and that is where the problem starts.

Sure registered breeders can be checked and regulated but what about the so called

"hobby breeders"? They fly under the radar and get away with all kinds of abuse.

I know the Soi dog Foundation is doing their best but they could do a lot better.

The problem could be solved in a lot better and faster way but that would require

action from the local authorities and that will not happen soon.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes that would do it, carry out mass executions of stray dogs and cats even though its illegal and they would be prosecuted.

 

I hear Soi Dog also does great work in stopping the dog meat trade:

 

 

But do nothing to stop the pig meat and cow meat trade, what makes dogs so special? I don't see stray pigs and cows roaming about causing a nuisance, why not eat dogs as well? 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, proton said:

But do nothing to stop the pig meat and cow meat trade, what makes dogs so special? I don't see stray pigs and cows roaming about causing a nuisance, why not eat dogs as well? 

I don't see many pigs or cows being kept as pets either...mmmm wonder why people prefer cats and dogs?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

I don't see any pigs or cows being kept as pets either...mmmm wonder why

Soi dogs are not pets either, they are no better than vermin

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, proton said:

Soi dogs are not pets either, they are no better than vermin

Soi dog is sterilizing as many as it can afford through donations, seems we're back to square one.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They sterilize them to stop further breeding, nobody enjoys watching them cause accidents, defecating & urinating in the sois, what do you suggest they do, leave them alone to carry on breeding which is why there are so many.

It is the responsibility of a town or city to engage in frequent culling of the soi dog population. I know some snowflake types will accuse me of cruelty, for even suggesting this. But, the reality is these pests are not wanted, needed, and cause a multitude of problems for the communities. They serve no useful function, and most lead miserable lives. Pets are different. Soi dogs are a pestilence.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is the responsibility of a town or city to engage in frequent culling of the soi dog population. I know some snowflake types will accuse me of cruelty, for even suggesting this. But, the reality is these pests are not wanted, needed, and cause a multitude of problems for the communities. They serve no useful function, and most lead miserable lives. Pets are different. Soi dogs are a pestilence.

While I don't disagree, the fact is that is not happening and as a direct result of that Soi Dog is involved in its work otherwise they wouldn't have to bother and would probably have a different name other than Soi Dog

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2022 at 8:57 AM, jacko45k said:

Here in Pattaya area, I still often get a shock when I come round a corner and need to brake for a little pack of puppies.... I adopted a stray cat recently and the local vet charged me 2500 to get her neutered.... not within the means of the villagers around me. 

it costs 1000 maximum to neuter a cat...

i guess that you spend wisely...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, vidgra said:

This is why we ❤️ them !

I hope you enjoy, as they will still be here after you fortunately are not !

 

Lovers of scabby dogs usually like to make things personal in the end, when they have no argument. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, vidgra said:

it costs 1000 maximum to neuter a cat...

i guess that you spend wisely...

 

It costs what it costs. It is not 1000 near me, I paid the lesser of a few quotes. 

What a nonsensical post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...