Apply for e-visa abroad?

Hi, 

I'm returning back on a STV 1th of september and my ambition is to travel again on a new STV before the scheme (supposedly) ends 30th of september.  Logging on to the e-visa website I'm practically able to apply for another STV now already. Even if I set my "Nationality:X" and "Location: Thailand" it seems to work. 

Are there any limitations to apply for, and have granted, a new VISA before going home? 

I'm not literally going to apply today, but perhaps mid August and (if possible) have it approved late august. 

What's your main reason to why you believe it wont work? Perhaps using some system to see if my passport is "inside my homecountry"? Not arguing, simply curious. Nothing physical goes to the embassies nowadays, only electronic....

40 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

What's your main reason to why you believe it wont work?

Why I think so? Because it is not allowed to apply for a visa while in Thailand and for some visa types (including STV) you are only allowed to apply in your home country. They can easily check your IP when you use the website and also based on the location you fill in they assign it to specific embassy. I am not sure which embassy will process your application when you choose "Location: Thailand".

11 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I was certainly able to get a e-visa from the Thai Embassy in my passport country while still in Thailand. Whether that's against some protocol or not I have no idea.

What did you set as your location in the application? Which visa did you apply for?

27 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I was certainly able to get a e-visa from the Thai Embassy in my passport country while still in Thailand. Whether that's against some protocol or not I have no idea.

Excellent news! A small follow-up: have you used the "new" visa yet? 

If this indeed works it would be such a stress-relief. Most visas have a ~3month entry date expiration so it would suit me perfect. 

1 hour ago, Alldar said:

Because it is not allowed to apply for a visa while in Thailand

Do you have any source for this? Not saying you are wrong, just curious. I have heard the same but could not find any confirmation for this claim.

I even used my Thai address as permanent residence in the application, and it was approved. Would be a bit strange if it was illegal? This was a Non-immigrant visa though. I doubt you could get a tourist visa with resident address in Thailand.

57 minutes ago, aldriglikvid said:

Excellent news! A small follow-up: have you used the "new" visa yet? 

Yes, worked fine. No questions asked.

40 minutes ago, hakancnx said:

But immigration will request proof of coming from the country where the visa is applied from. 

Not in my experience. And this would not make any sense. That means you cant stop over anywhere on your way to Thailand if you have a visa.

25 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Do you have any source for this? Not saying you are wrong, just curious. I have heard the same but could not find any confirmation for this claim.

I even used my Thai address as permanent residence in the application, and it was approved. Would be a bit strange if it was illegal? This was a Non-immigrant visa though. I doubt you could get a tourist visa with resident address in Thailand.

No I don't have a source for this. I was only reading about it as well as you. Maybe I am wrong.

What did you set as a "Permanent residency / current location" in your application when you were in Thailand? Because I think based on that they assign the application to specific embassy for processing. Did you set there your home country while in Thailand?

11 minutes ago, Alldar said:

What did you set as a "Permanent residency / current location" in your application when you were in Thailand? Because I think based on that they assign the application to specific embassy for processing. Did you set there your home country while in Thailand?

I had to choose passport country as current location. Thailand did not work. This was a while ago, the website has since been updated. You can now choose Thailand as current location.

1 hour ago, hakancnx said:

One can get an e-visa sitting in Thailand applying. 

But immigration will request proof of coming from the country where the visa is applied from. 

That's very good news. 

"proof of coming from" = fly ticket/actually arriving from the country in question (tm6 arrival card). Yes? 

I also had this question. I'm thinking, though I don't know, that the issue is you can get the visa but will you be granted entrance to the country and get a stamp in your passport? The e-visa is only a letter downloaded from the internet which you give to immigration on arrival...and then they stamp the passport. So it seems to me you will have to enter Thailand from another country to get the stamp. And your TM-6 will state your arrival country....I can't recall if Immi looks at your plane ticket when you arrive or not. Anyway, this might present a problem. Also, they usually look at your previous stamps. But hey, maybe it's fine?

Edited by bamboozled

• 2 months later...

Update: 

While abroad (in Thailand) I applied for a new STV on this Sunday and it was approved and e-mailed to me yesterday afternoon. 

I'm heading home next month and "staying home" for 3 weeks, and then I enter Thailand again. Hopefully without any issues. 

We don't know yet if

1) The STV scheme is to be extended

2) Even if the STV scheme is not extended, are we able to do the 2 extensions granted to us who entered on this visa

Fingers crossed that even though the scheme might end, we who entered on the visa in required time ought to be able to do all the extensions. It would be quite harsh if not. Any takes on this point? Bless. 

Last year, when it appeared the STV scheme was going to end, there were announcements that new extensions based on entry with an STV would end on the same date that entry with STV visas ended. That does not mean the policy will be the same if issuing of STV visas is again extended. It is a bit of a worrying indication though.

• Like 1