Government Hospital Bill

BrianBkyn

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

what do you think then?

Like many things in Thailand we may never know for sure. A scam, a hospital screw-up - but I told her I won't pay till I see the entire bill with details. Even if it is true, I find it hard to believe that they don't express the same shock I do and want to understand why. 

11 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

Like many things in Thailand we may never know for sure. A scam, a hospital screw-up - but I told her I won't pay till I see the entire bill with details. Even if it is true, I find it hard to believe that they don't express the same shock I do and want to understand why. 

Just say you can't pay, no have, rather than won't pay, it's an easier get out

one explanation could be there was a waiting list and the family
decided not to wait and pay the full price by the family foreigner ...

what would worry me also, why was your girlfriend unwilling to
explain to you, why her mother cound't  use the 30 thb schema?

58 minutes ago, BrianBkyn said:

I find it hard to believe that they don't express the same shock I do and want to understand why. 

well,  maybe because you are going to pay...... not them.    the indifference thai families show to farang's sensitivities to being taken advantage of is legendary.  ( of course not ALL thai families)

What usually really upsets Farangs is the lack of backing by their sweetheart .   

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

one explanation could be there was a waiting list and the family
decided not to wait and pay the full price by the family foreigner ...

what would worry me also, why was your girlfriend unwilling to
explain to you, why her mother cound't  use the 30 thb schema?

But this appears to be well in excess of full price for anyone.  My quote a few years ago for bladder removal and ileal conduit at government hospital in Bangkok was about 80k - at major private hospital actual cost was a bit over 1 million (over 10x the price).  It just does not compute that price of this surgery upcountry would be almost 50% of cost estimate at major private hospital in Bangkok even if paying for procedure.  Surgery cost is normally a tiny fraction on government bill but seems to be listed as 95k on this bill.

• Thanks 1

All good points. My guess is that my gf was pressured by mom and sister to do this. Esp Mom who can not be refused. Or the bill is legit. That is always a possibility. Getting smaller and smaller as I learn new things. I just left it with her to produce a more detailed bill and if that looked ok, I would pay. If she can't produce it that is the end of it as far as I am concerned. Thx for all the replies. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BrianBkyn said:

Because they almost certainly did not pay anything like what is shown on that bill.

Either the entire bill is fake, or most of it was paid by the government system, or both

I use the Chonburi govt hospital,very busy,but i was told that i did not need an appointment to see the " bone" doctor,i am registered there so turned up with the wife,you ned a Thai speaker to get appointments,anyway got an appontment and went to see him ,2 hrs later saw him and got an injection for a hand broblem ,got sent off to see another doc for feet and knees,half hour later had tests ,told needed meds given prescription and off to get 3 months supply  total cost 661 baht in total 

Checked cost of my meds at outside pharmacy 10 days supply 200 baht.

Never a problem at this govt hospital.

23 hours ago, BrianBkyn said:

If you are going to pay for it they might just not care, because it's not their money.

Or it's a fake bill and they are planning to pocket the money.

Go to the hospital alone and ask them about the bill, if it's fake they will point this out, and even if they only speak broken English and you don't speak Thai you might still get some information from them. In case you pay for it make sure that you only pay directly to the hospital.

Edited by FriendlyFarang