Names and sources for cables?

I like to buy some stranded and full copper (is that the correct term?) cables to use indoors in my new condominium.

I want 3x1.5sqmm 3x2.5sqmm 3x4.0sqmm. What are the official (Thai) names for these cables and what is a good (online) source for good quality with a reasonable price. It seems many places sell a lot of cables with just 2 wires without earth. I don't like that.

I want these two types.

image.jpeg.22cae916891c78bd9590660384dc7757.jpeg

image.jpeg.bbee9c9ed93cc0d6e7202e514c8e0d1f.jpeg

Thank

Edited by OneMoreFarang

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Photo top VCT flex

Correction, it is VCT-G to get the insulation colour, VCT has different insulation colours (no green/green yellow) mine is black, red, grey.

Naturally the insulation colour is only important to some users, and not all variants have cable availability in cut lengths. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Stranded cable is สายไฟไวนิล (săai fai wai nin).

WiKi is a bit more accurate and uses สายไฟฟ้า (săai fai fáa) for electrical cable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, but if it is in the wall then normally single core is used - at least according to my knowledge. 

Wait, you want jacketed 3 strand wires to go in the walls?

• Confused 1

I think there's some confusion in terminology here.

"Single core" means one conductor in the insulation, that conductor may be solid or stranded.

Stranded is easier to work particularly in the larger sizes. This would be "THW" and is intended to be contained in conduit or trunking.

There's also a flexible stranded (more, finer strands) which is much less of a wrestle in the confines of your boxes. This is "THW-F" and is again intended to go in conduit.

If you want several cores in one jacket then you're looking at the "flat" cables, VAF and VAF-G (which has a ground core). VAF can have either solid or stranded conductors but not the really fine flexible strands.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, similar to this. Any objections?

Orange conduit = OK

Direct in the render = I wouldn't, but the Thai Zazaki spec. for VAF-G says "VAF-G Electrical wire is a building wiring for surface or above ceiling wiring or direct embedded in plaster." https://www.sk-wires.com/en/vaf-g-building-wiring-flat-type-thai-yazaki/

Take notice before cable choice

Many socket and the switch fitting have the push screwless terminal

Solid strand easy for push in terminal

7 strand ok for push in terminal if tight twist at end

Fine multi strand cable not easy for push in terminal

All cable ok with screwless lever terminal like wago brand

Push in terminal type

panasonic.jpg.90b3f7e50e92479d8818d5020cba63c0.jpg

Lever terminal type

wago.jpg.a68512888673a6fadf00866b4cc13f38.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, SomchaiDIY said:

Take notice before cable choice

Solid strand easy for push in terminal

7 strand ok for push in terminal if tight twist at end

Fine multi strand cable not easy for push in terminal

All cable ok with screwless lever terminal like wago brand

Push in terminal type

panasonic.jpg.90b3f7e50e92479d8818d5020cba63c0.jpg

Lever terminal type

wago.jpg.a68512888673a6fadf00866b4cc13f38.jpg

Correct. And there is also this invention. For some devices they are necessary, for others optional.

100pcs-E2508-tubular-wire-connector-elec

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

I really hate these with a passion, screw terminals every time!

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

It seems (at least on the good products) the quality is great. A good and fast connection. Why not?

I think you've answered your own question - "good quality products". And, they are rather difficult to get off should you need to. Also, as @SomchaiDIY notes they don't work well with the fine multi-strand.

Oddly enough I DO like Wago connectors (the genuine ones) over those awful wire-nut things.

But, of course, it's entirely up to you what you do ???? 

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think you've answered your own question - "good quality products". And, they are rather difficult to get off should you need to. Also, as @SomchaiDIY notes they don't work well with the fine multi-strand.

Oddly enough I DO like Wago connectors (the genuine ones) over those awful wire-nut things.

But, of course, it's entirely up to you what you do ???? 

Thanks for your fast answer.

Personally if it is important then I only use quality products. And possible life threatening electrical connections are definitely important enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Correct. And there is also this invention. For some devices they are necessary, for others optional.

100pcs-E2508-tubular-wire-connector-elec

Bootlace ferrule we call this in english verbal

Invent to contain cable strand and stop spread when connection made on clamp terminal

Most use in build of control panel system

Maybe idea for fine strand cable in screwless connection but I think better if soft ferrule under pressure from screw terminal clamp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

And, they are rather difficult to get off should you need to.

I just got some Hako receptacles and didn't know they were the push type until I opened.  But, the wire just needs to be pushed in until it can't be tugged out.  A flat blade screwdriver into the release and they easily pull out.  So there.  ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I just got some Hako receptacles and didn't know they were the push type until I opened.  But, the wire just needs to be pushed in until it can't be tugged out.  A flat blade screwdriver into the release and they easily pull out.  So there.  ????

Each to his own.

I have absolutely no problem with people using whatever they like.

Just too many instances on the 'lectrical fora of "back stab" outlets that have gone a lovely shade of black.

• Haha 1

maxresdefault.jpg.42abe92f8f181c7d584d30f4fd2e31cd.jpg

Solid wires for all fixed installations, like cables in walls

Stranded wires if the cable will be flexed

If you use stranded cables for wall installations you will run into problems because it doesn't work well with all connectors that you find in light switches, plugs, breakers etc.

• Like 1

I know stranded is much easier to pull through conduit. Fire-rated sometimes has a coating that also makes it easier to pull. The solid-core stuff is a nightmare to pull.

Is the fine stranded stuff pretty much just for cords and moving assemblies and whatnot? 

If I had stranded wire I needed to push in I would just tin the ends....