Shopping In Bangkok

achadha7

hi all,

we will be visiting bangkok soon and am interested in shopping for Digital SLR's clothes and cell phones. What is the best place to shop for these items in bkk ?

any online sites to look at ?

Edited by achadha7

I presume it's Digital SLRs, clothes and cell phones.

For Digital cameras and cell phones, go to Panthip Plaza (Pratu Nam or Watergate), more or less opposite the Hotel Amari Watergate.

For clothes, you have a wide variety of choice between upper class European designer cloth at Paragon (shopping center), also at Central World (next to Paragon) and then there is MBK, also near Paragon, but rather the inexpensive stuff. All this is around Siam City area, with many more shops around.

Bangkok is really the paradise for shopping. Make sure you have plenty of cash or some good credit cards.

Thanks everyone, We are looking at shopping for both high and low end clothes shopping .. some real designer stuff some of the replica stuff.

What is a good place to stay at in bkk where we wonrt have to travel to far for shopping ? we are looking at

Holiday Inn at Silom Road at 6150 Thai Bhat for 2 nights, is that a good place / good price ?

how abt car accessories what is a good place ? what else is there to do in BKK ?

We are thinking of converting Indian Rupees to US Dollars and then converting them back to Thai Bhat, what do most people do ?

Is it better to get a visa and then travel or just get one at Phuket when we land. We are eligible to visa on arrival.

Thanks

Edited by achadha7

First: its a very good idea to convert ur Indian Rupiah to Dollars, Euro, Singapore-Dollars or GBPounds. This will save u a lot of money. Even just travelling from Thailand to Malaysia and vice versa, such procedure would save u up to 20% of the value (though most people are not aware of that).

second: why would u want to buy a mobile phone in Thailand ? I doubt that its cheaper than in your country. and then u may not be able to charge it as the electric sockets

are different in ur country, u will need extra adapter... and so on....

if you cant resist in buying one , definitely do NOT go to Panthip, as most shops there will rip u off as soon they realize that u r just a tourist and not a resident with the knowledge of the local market.

FORTUNE TOWER is much less scam, but the selection is not that big.

or buy your items in one of those reputable big chains - stores, which u can find in big shopping-malls (Central Bangna has a good one, for example).

for cheap and good clothes (no FAKE brands, just cheap and nice. FAKE clothes can be had at those tourist spots: in Silom, for example. But expect poor quality and attempts to rip u off), try - believe it or not - any big TESCO LOTUS store. They have a big textile department there and I bought plenty of shirts there, all for less than 300 Baht. no complaints about the quality... its at least worth to have a look at that place (Tesco ON NUT is, for example, located right next to the BTS station)

Edited by siam2007

First: its a very good idea to convert ur Indian Rupiah to Dollars, Euro, Singapore-Dollars or GBPounds. This will save u a lot of money. Even just travelling from Thailand to Malaysia and vice versa, such procedure would save u up to 20% of the value (though most people are not aware of that).

That is what i thought

second: why would u want to buy a mobile phone in Thailand ? I doubt that its cheaper than in your country. and then u may not be able to charge it as the electric sockets

are different in ur country, u will need extra adapter... and so on....

I am looking for newer models and wanna look around if i find something

doesnt thailand use 220 V power ? I have a phone i got from malasiya that is much more exp here so it was a thought

Any views on

What is a good place to stay at in bkk where we wonrt have to travel to far for shopping ? we are looking at

Holiday Inn at Silom Road at 6150 Thai Bhat for 2 nights, is that a good place / good price ?

how abt car accessories what is a good place ? what else is there to do in BKK ?

We are thinking of converting Indian Rupees to US Dollars and then converting them back to Thai Bhat, what do most people do ?

Is it better to get a visa and then travel or just get one at Phuket when we land. We are eligible to visa on arrival.

New HIGH END mobile phones are not very cheap in Thailand (a N95 costs more here than in the USA) the same can be said for digital SLR's I think. A side trip to Singapore might be in order.

Car accessories? That is a wide open topic ... care to narrow it down some?

Hotels? Look online for the Novotel Siam Sq ... often can get great rates there online and is near exceptional shopping

edit ...

Visas ... if you are from a country eligible for a visa exempt entry to Thailand AND (quite important) you are leaving before said exempt stay would end .. then do that. If you are not then DO get a Tourist Visa before coming!

Edited by jdinasia

I would never book these "conveniently located mass tourist hotels" at Silom, very few are near skytrain stations. Anyway what is at Silom? Mostly rip offs.

Patumwan Place, Soi Kasemsan 1, just opposite MBK and very close the other main shopping areas, Siam sq., Discovery, Paragorn, etc. 1-200m. from the skytrain station (National Stadium), 1000-1,200/night THB last year prices, very nice hotel style room though it's more like an apartment. On same soi many cheaper options as well.

Mobiles same price here as Europe, maybe no have international warranty or do have fake parts. Don't bother. Buy electronics only from brand name shops, Sony, Nokia etc. NOT at the market if you want (almost) guaranteed quality, better yet buy it at home for the same price if possible.

I hate Phantip, some like it though, go rather to Fortune at Ratchada, same stuff only x30 not x1000. Same prices, except if you have needs for some hard to find stuff. Easy transport too, Fortune, just next to subway Rama IX station.

For everything else possible garp and crap I think Suanlum Night Bazaar wins Jatujak Weekend market, at least you can get through it in one long evening, open everyday, mostly same shops at both.

Actually Silom is not bad .. not far from 3 skytrain stations and the MRTA .... AND close to the river.

I prefer the Novotel ... but I wouldn't begrudge people the options that Silom has.

Fortune tends to be a little more expensive on things than Pantip .. but it is more convenient ... (UNLESS! you are looking for clothes too ... in which case you should be in the same area as Pantip ... 2 birds so to speak!)

Nothing will ever beat JJ ..... but the problem with JJ (Chatuchak) is that it is SOOOOOO huge and if it is hot out it can be rough unless you remember to find one of the indoor places to eat ... and get off your feet for a bit! Suan Lum ONLY has stuff for tourists but it is a GREAT place to go ... a real Don't Miss place in BKK!

New HIGH END mobile phones are not very cheap in Thailand (a N95 costs more here than in the USA)

In the us it is actually a LOCKED phone which will work with only 1 service provider. how much is a n95 there in BKK....

]

6150 baht for two nights !, you could live for two years on that if you went to Khao San Road

Lol

i dont wanna live in some shady place i want the comfort and a nice place ... so i am not looking at the cheap stuff but thanks anyways.