Vehicle warning lights/gauges and Thai ladies.

22 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I recall a story from many years ago about a driver in the UK going down a steep, winding road in north Somerset. Some of you may know Porlock Hill. The engine of his Ford Focus suddenly cut out.

His immediate action was to knock the gear into neutral and was shocked when he suddenly lost his brakes and the power steering as well. He inevitably went off the road and wreaked his car. He then tried to sue Ford for selling unsafe cars!

There are many people around in this world, not just Thai ladies, who don't have a clue how their cars work.

Must make an admission. I attempted to wash our Honda City automatic. The hosepipe wouldn't reach where Mrs had parked it so I attempted to move it just a few yards. I couldn't move the gear selector lever. Eventually I gave up and carried buckets of water instead. Totally baffled me!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How could she nut the windscreen?  You said that she always has the handbrake applied.

Well spotted! She has never, ever, AFAIK parked a vehicle in gear. That must be why she never checks it is in neutral before cranking. It is on the odd occasion when someone else (mechanic, car washer etc.) has driven it and returned it leaving it in gear that this happens. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 5:01 PM, The Hammer2021 said:

Thais are bought  up with motor  vehicles  from an early age  so the know  the difference  between  having no  fuel and a full tank . Did you you explain E = Empty = ว่างเปล่า Wang Plou

And F means Full =เต็ม

Tem

She definitely understood the concept of full and empty  but perhaps  didn't  know the English words- and you didn't have the ability  to explain  to her- perhaps  you don't speak Thai

Your kidding me right? Brought up with motor vehicles from an early age? really?  As always you are a Thai apologist and just love bashing the expats who post.  Tell me where the quages on an Iron Buffalo are, and if they have warning lights, or for that matter hw many actually drive more than a motorbike which in itself may be old and the gauges do not work nor the lights.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

It's not Thai women.

It's your woman.

Obviuously she's a University graduate and you didn't meet her in a bar or anything,

She previously owned and ran her own frog farm so not useless by any means. To be fair she is generous too. Yesterday she filled her 'Mighty X' with groceries and took them to friends who live in four adjacent houses, all of whom are quarantined with Covid. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

It's not Thai women.

It's your woman.

Obviuously she's a University graduate and you didn't meet her in a bar or anything,

Good, you are nearly back to your old self.    lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Vehicle warning lights has reminded me.  Last week the Forza had an oil change , 2days ago the oil change light came on. The light came on as the computer on the bike said it was time for the oil change , in fact the oil was changed about 60k early.  Must go to GWH and get them to remove the blinking light.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Vehicle warning lights has reminded me.  Last week the Forza had an oil change , 2days ago the oil change light came on. The light came on as the computer on the bike said it was time for the oil change , in fact the oil was changed about 60k early.  Must go to GWH and get them to remove the blinking light.

Interesting! Never realised that the mechanics must have to cancel (or reset) such warning/advisory lights when changing engine oil. Thanks for the info!

5 minutes ago, userabcd said:

"The other day she asked me what E and F stood for? Today I noticed the temperature gauge needle was in the red zone"

The E stands for enough and the F for finished.

Like that very much! I shall remember it for future use! Talking about petrol, I do hate wasting it. My Mrs will leave home, sit in her car outside the house with the engine running (because she likes the air con) and then commence to check both of her mobiles. They both have dual SIM's installed. Plus, of course, checking Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Line and all her other messaging APP's. Why not do that in the house which was already cool due to running air con overnight?       

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 7:04 PM, Moonlover said:

I recall a story from many years ago about a driver in the UK going down a steep, winding road in north Somerset. Some of you may know Porlock Hill. The engine of his Ford Focus suddenly cut out.

His immediate action was to knock the gear into neutral and was shocked when he suddenly lost his brakes and the power steering as well. He inevitably went off the road and wreaked his car. He then tried to sue Ford for selling unsafe cars!

There are many people around in this world, not just Thai ladies, who don't have a clue how their cars work.

think Porlock is one of, if not THE steepest road in England..

we have been up it pulling caravan...... my dad went into the lowest gear to get up it !!!!

Once up we stopped and waited for the water temp to subside....then we carried on our way.....!!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blackshadow said:

think Porlock is one of, if not THE steepest road in England..

we have been up it pulling caravan...... my dad went into the lowest gear to get up it !!!!

Once up we stopped and waited for the water temp to subside....then we carried on our way.....!!!

That's the one. My dad's Ford Popular couldn't make it up there full of camping gear. My mum and I had to walk! That was the year after the Lynmouth floods. Why we went there I've no idea. Some holiday that must have been!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My Thai wife is very smart, but was not aware of countless aspects of driving and about cars, when we met. Many are simply not well educated about these things, and the majority strike me as some of the least curious people on earth, so they don't ask the kinds of basic questions we would take for granted. 

She learned fast, and is a great driver these days and a little bit more curious than before. However, there are countless occasions I ask her why didn't you ask about this or that? Curiosity is a brilliant quality. Few Thais seem to have it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

My Thai wife is very smart, but was not aware of countless aspects of driving and about cars, when we met. Many are simply not well educated about these things, and the majority strike me as some of the least curious people on earth, so they don't ask the kinds of basic questions we would take for granted. 

She learned fast, and is a great driver these days and a little bit more curious than before. However, there are countless occasions I ask her why didn't you ask about this or that? Curiosity is a brilliant quality. Few Thais seem to have it. 

Good point! Thai's do seem to only worry about what they're doing today.  

1 minute ago, Lucky Bones said:

Thailand driving 101.

Enter vehicle.

Check seat is set to highest level.

Bring seat forward so knees crush dashboard.

Drive as fast as possible looking straight ahead.

Simples.

Seat repositioning is an obsession with my Mrs. I cannot understand why because she is the only driver yet feels the need to alter the positions each time she enters the vehicle.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, pagallim said:

A recent story.   My wife's car is a 2008 Honda Accord which we bought new.   Although 14 years old now, its only done 26,000km as it's very much a second car.   A month or so ago, the VSA (stability control) and ABS lights wouldn't extinguish.   She took it to the local Honda dealer, and they quoted 70,000 baht plus for a replacement control unit.   She decided to investigate further herself, joining a Thai Facebook group specifically interested in her model of Accord.   Chatted with a few 'gurus', she found a place that would clean the ABS sensors on each wheel.   700 baht, and problem has gone away.

She also did some research on replacing the weather seals on each door window as the rubber was quite perished and would allow water into the door cavities.   Got a quote of 7000 baht to replace, but again through her FB group, learned how to do it ourselves, so only 3500 baht for original replacement parts.

20220401_092048.jpg

20220509_113658.jpg

20220509_113131.jpg

20220508_083257.jpg

20220509_115540.jpg

20220509_115607.jpg

Brilliant. Connecting with knowlegeable and helpful people is the key. We only paid 80,000 baht for her Mighty X. 70,000 baht for an unnecessary control unit is ridiculous. Could be that they didn't know about the sensors but I would doubt it!

27 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Funny you should mention Monk's. My Mrs has two Uncles who are both senior Monks, divorced guys with children who became Monks later in life.

And your point is?

Your Mrs could have a brother.

Maybe these blokes ducked out of life and responsibilities?

Edited by Lucky Bones