Is it okay to drink Bangkok tap water without boiling it?

topswijaya

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That wasn't Bangkok tap water.

Who knows where it comes from ..... I remember years ago when Prime Minister Taksin was asked to drink a glass of Bangkok tap water .that he was holding, he smiled, but he didnt drink it....wonder why

On 5/21/2022 at 6:34 AM, RichardColeman said:

Better question would be is it safe to drink tap water in a city constantly flooded and open drains

If you are drinking water from open drains probably not. If you are drinking tap water anyone with a reasonable immune system should be fine. Of course, the microbiology might be different from your home country and that may take some adjustment. I think it's shocking for many because tap water should not be consumed in many western countries. It's fine. Large bottles of water are available as filtration systems for home owners. I'm not necessarily advocating always drinking tap water (I do and have done so for years with absolutely no ill effects). The choice is yours.

33 minutes ago, BonMot said:

I think it's shocking for many because tap water should not be consumed in many western countries.

Most Americans are blissfully unaware about 98% of the tap water in their major cities is recycled, i.e they are drinking someone's treated #1 and #2.

That knowledge was enough to ensure I only drank Coca-Cola and beer when I was there, and even some of the beer was ghastly.

5 hours ago, BonMot said:

If you are drinking water from open drains probably not. If you are drinking tap water anyone with a reasonable immune system should be fine. Of course, the microbiology might be different from your home country and that may take some adjustment. I think it's shocking for many because tap water should not be consumed in many western countries. It's fine. Large bottles of water are available as filtration systems for home owners. I'm not necessarily advocating always drinking tap water (I do and have done so for years with absolutely no ill effects). The choice is yours.

In Zurich there are about 1200 drinking wells open to everyone passing by which are absolutely safe. The mineral content of Zurichs tap water even does surpass some of the bottled water. Here is one of them, some of them date back centuries. Not using tap water anymore for everything was one of the bigger challenges we did face moving here.

What I have heard is that some noodle shops on the streets use tap water for cooking (question of price). Although the water is heated during the process (enough ?) that explains a lot of unfortunate events in my past.

459418336_DrinkingWellZurich.thumb.jpg.9dbbd5569ddb11d20e9e9f6f73ac2c76.jpg

On 5/20/2022 at 6:51 PM, swm59nj said:

From what I see regarding sanitation practices here I would not drink the tap water.  
Also if you are here from another country. Your intestinal tract is not accustomed to the bacteria, etc. So drinking the tap water is not a good idea to begin with.  
And bottled water is not expensive.  So I don’t see why someone would risk drinking tap water.  Unless your monetary situation is so bad you can’t even afford a bottle of water. 

Umm no, it's just much more convenient and what many of us are accustomed to doing in the west.

Edited by shdmn

• 3 weeks later...

There is a reason that hotels give you free bottled water.  Personally drank it a couple of times when I first got here and had 2 trips to hospital for over night stay

enough said.  

I do agree though if y ou can get a filtered system then you are ok

I drink tap water here at home.  However I have a whole house filtration system.  Plus the water I drink goes through another filter system.  And I properly maintain them.  My wife still will not drink it however.  When we travel we use bottled water for brushing our teeth too.

As has been mentioned most Thai's will brush their teeth with(rinse but not swallow) it but not drink it.  Of course that also depends on how the water looks coming out where you are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwill said:

I drink tap water here at home.  However I have a whole house filtration system.  Plus the water I drink goes through another filter system.  And I properly maintain them.  My wife still will not drink it however.  When we travel we use bottled water for brushing our teeth too.

As has been mentioned most Thai's will brush their teeth with(rinse but not swallow) it but not drink it.  Of course that also depends on how the water looks coming out where you are.

And how it smells. I drink it but always do a quick sniff test before drinking. Very occasionally the smell is a bit unpleasant, it this case I drink bottled water. 

• Thanks 1

I take ice when out, it comes from hygienic plants these days.  But I always drink bottled water. At home we use a three stage filter + UV including for washing our veges, coffee, and the like.

Edited by chalawaan

You can kill any nasty microbial bacteria by boiling the water first. What you can't do is remove organic chemicals or heavy metals by boiling it. 

As for the bottled water, the question becomes where do the water supplier draw their raw water from to produce the potable water from, what impurities need treating and how often do they do QA/QC on the potable water product to make sure that it is indeed "potable" quality at bottling time.

I had to wash in river water for about 5 years, so I know how skanky that water can be as a source for processing.

You can kill any nasty microbial bacteria by boiling the water first. What you can't do is remove organic chemicals or heavy metals by boiling it. 

As for the bottled water, the question becomes where do the water supplier draw their raw water from to produce the potable water from, what impurities need treating and how often do they do QA/QC on the potable water product to make sure that it is indeed "potable" quality at bottling time.

I had to wash in river water for about 5 years, so I know how skanky that water can be as a source for processing.

• Thanks 1

Water systems in Thailand are low pressure systems which are not safe to drink despite the governments assurances to the contrary.  A low pressure system will attempt to suck in any containments via any small break in the line as it travels to your door.   The water lines in Thailand travel in the same polluted storm water drain lines alongside most roads.  Water systems in developed countries are high pressure and will not absorb contaminants in this manner as the high pressure will force contaminants away from it.   They also are not located to storm drains or the like.

We use commercially bottled water ie. Nestle, Singha etc for drinking.    We also have a 3 stage sink top water filter with a UV lamp which we use for cooking, coffee & washing fresh veggies.

Edited by fdimike
added verbage
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 11:09 PM, Lorry said:

I don't know any Thai people who drink tap water. 

I used to drink it myself, no problems.

Thais found this very strange. 

I stopped drinking tap water after seeing the inside of the storage tank of our building. 

To me, the only good water to drink is mineral bottle water and I am fussy on which one of these I drink.

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

To me, the only good water to drink is mineral bottle water and I am fussy on which one of these I drink.

Bottled water  -  very big big bottles, small bottles?

Miner water  -  minerals added?

Sparkling water  -  from where; natural spa water, carbonation added?

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Bottled water  -  very big big bottles, small bottles?

Miner water  -  minerals added?

Sparkling water  -  from where; natural spa water, carbonation added?

I like Aura the best as it comes from a natural spring in Chiang Mai with all the right amount of minerals.

2 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Don’t listen to these halfwits, filtration doesn’t take bacteria and filth out of water anywhere on the planet 

How do you think bottled water is processed?  RO filtration is used for most, just as you can do in your home.

42 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How do you think bottled water is processed?  RO filtration is used for most, just as you can do in your home.

'Processed'   You can also find comment on the WWW that bottled water is often overprocessed removing all the natural and essential elements that human beings should be getting from drinking water. 

10 hours ago, scorecard said:

'Processed'   You can also find comment on the WWW that bottled water is often overprocessed removing all the natural and essential elements that human beings should be getting from drinking water. 

You get all views on the WWW - does not make them true.  You do not need water to obtain your minerals.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

You get all views on the WWW - does not make them true.  You do not need water to obtain your minerals.  

"You get all views on the WWW - does not make them true. "

Best comment this year, very true, the WWW is loaded with false and misleading information.