Is it okay to drink Bangkok tap water without boiling it?

topswijaya

it's chlorinated, so need to be put in a jug for some 30 minutes for chlor to evaporate and lose bad taste..

Surely any water filtering system, even portable one, would be good to have, rather than buying many bottles and carrying them home. Filter replacement in my system recommended up to 20k litres, many years of use.

At times of droughts high tide enters as far as patum tani and salinity can be at high level, that might indicate some pollutants.

Edited by internationalism

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

From my first ever trip to Thailand I’ve been having ice in my drinks, cleaning my teeth, drinking small amounts and generally doing what I’d do in my j9me country. Never had any problems at all.

Ice you buy is made from reverse osmosis water not plain tap water.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, it´s! However, you might get some stomach problem at the beginning. Just ask Thai people, and they will say the drunk it all their life. They are still alive, right? I have tried it myself, and it worked fine. Though, I do prefer bottled water.

Thai people who got money don't drink tap water.

• Like 2

My recommendation would be against drinking tap water due to inorganic mineral sediment in the water plus bacteria.  

The health ailments will eventually start kicking in due to positively charged mineral sediment sticking inside the negatively charged

human body.

My arthritic gout, vision, and prostate problems among other problems were resolved when switching to drinking distilled water (pure water), as well as other adjustments.  The negatively charged distilled water flushes out the positively charged mineral sediment, but not the beneficial organic minerals.  Which resets human body to health.

• Haha 1

Probably ok- but is that good enough. My main concern would be the serving pipes/tanks in buildings, etc.

Ok for cleaning, brushing teeth, cooking, coffee/tea.

(Water is effectively pasteurized at around 70 degrees for 20 minutes.)

I boil water no matter where I am in the world.

Two reasons - it eliminates the taste of chlorine. It also kills intestinal parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidia, which chlorine does not kill, and can be extremely debilitating.

I had a boss once who contracted giardiasis while on a visit to America, where it is endemic. Took him months in Australia to get his illness diagnosed correctly, one doctor even said it was psychosomatic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BonMot said:

I add one drop of unscented bleach to one liter of water. But even without it's fine. Some won't even brush their teeth with it so it appears which is absolutely hilarious. These are the same people I suppose that claim all street food is totally unsanitary. Belong back home tbh.

Bleach does nothing to eliminate parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidia, good luck with your personal lottery.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, internationalism said:

it's chlorinated, so need to be put in a jug for some 30 minutes for chlor to evaporate and lose bad taste..

Surely any water filtering system, even portable one, would be good to have, rather than buying many bottles and carrying them home. Filter replacement in my system recommended up to 20k litres, many years of use.

At times of droughts high tide enters as far as patum tani and salinity can be at high level, that might indicate some pollutants.

Chlorine may dissipate on standing, chloramines will not. Boiling is need to get rid of those compounds.

7 hours ago, actonion said:

i wouldnt drink  tap water here,  i used to buy and drink the water in those big white plastic bottles sold for 15 baht  until we found green algae  ++ in the bottom of the bottle   more  than once

That wasn't Bangkok tap water.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, truthman said:

If you're in a condo or apartment, the problem is that the water has to go through a storage tank, which couild well be unsafe. 

If you drink right from the tap in the dark, you might even get a late-night snack, as there are sometimes mosquito larvae in the storage tanks...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

Some totally silly, paranoid comments. Keep them coming. Better some of you just move back home. You'll probably sleep better. When I first came to Asia you couldn't drink BKK tap water, eat raw vegetables anywhere in Asia very risky, ice had to be cubed or forget it. You'd think nothing changed in thirty years. Absolutely laughable the paranoia. Giardia lol Metronidazole can't even be bought in the pharmacy in Thailand anymore. Maybe the absolute middle of nowhere. Villages of bamboo huts. I'm never sick and I mean never. I even drink the water in the national parks I visit without any treatment. A knowledgeable person that knows nothing of the realities lol. Feel the fear - do it anyway. Danger, danger Will Robinson.

Edited by BonMot

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Bleach does nothing to eliminate parasites such as giardia and cryptosporidia, good luck with your personal lottery.

Been winning 30 years. Presume this will continue the next 30. You are a laff each post. Keep going. Do you wear a hazmat suit when heading out the door? Keep wearing that mask bro. Eeeew dirty Asian peepole yucky.

I eat raw beef with my wife lol. Bam!

Edited by BonMot

20 hours ago, howerde said:

I don't when the water leaves the water plant it is excellent water, buy the time it gets to your place who knows what pipes it goes through, i have my doubts as to the up keep of the pipes, but i do now clean my teeth with it and still alive after a few years. but drink/cooking use bottled or get a filter

Cooking is usually not a problem as the heat will kill bacteria but drinking is another story.

https://awol.junkee.com/tap-water-countries-map/71118

On visits here from US I and friends came down with diarhea at various time/trips. Later drank bootled water or drinks with out  ice cubes. When I moved over here I drank the water  for a month and after  my stomach  got used to local bacteria never had a problem again. We have filters on any faucets we drink water from  as there is sediment in the water as well as metals/minerals which would not be affected by boiling.

Friend came over 2 weeks ago with his Thai wife but son who has never been here. Son ended up in the hospital with severe diarhea from drinking reg water and drinks with unfilterd ice cubes.

Inked280974878_10228901330785040_1835428508495921785_n_LIa.jpg

20 minutes ago, BonMot said:

Been winning 30 years. Presume this will continue the next 30. You are a laff each post. Keep going. Do you wear a hazmat suit when heading out the door? Keep wearing that mask bro. Eeeew dirty Asian peepole yucky.

It's nice to know I give pleasure to people I have never met, although some of your insinuations are way off the mark.

Eat raw beef as well? My, my, you do like living dangerously.

Bro? Bam? I guess you're part of that generation that thinks it is smarter than any before or after it.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

Cooking is usually not a problem as the heat will kill bacteria but drinking is another story.

https://awol.junkee.com/tap-water-countries-map/71118

On visits here from US I and friends came down with diarhea at various time/trips. Later drank bootled water or drinks with out  ice cubes. When I moved over here I drank the water  for a month and after  my stomach  got used to local bacteria never had a problem again. We have filters on any faucets we drink water from  as there is sediment in the water as well as metals/minerals which would not be affected by boiling.

Friend came over 2 weeks ago with his Thai wife but son who has never been here. Son ended up in the hospital with severe diarhea from drinking reg water and drinks with unfilterd ice cubes.

Inked280974878_10228901330785040_1835428508495921785_n_LIa.jpg

My guess looking at this poor chap is he is extremely prone to illness.

11 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I never drink it, but supposedly it was certified potable in 1999. We did brush teeth and rinse fruits & veggies with it.

https://thailand505.com/tap-water-bangkok/

Actually US Embassy tested tap water and bottled water more than 40 years ago and it was no contest - tap water was consistently better on Wireless Road.  But there were  distribution issues at some locations until all pipes were upgraded in the late 1900's.  That a location could be contaminated (mostly due to neighbor pumping directly from mains or road work - or bad storage at apartments is always true however).  What other cities provide real time internet access to water quality at multi locations?  Not many I suspect.  We use RO for taste (or removal of taste reasons).  And yes most Thai will drink filtered water as they have grown up doing so (as most places are not Bangkok).  

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

I bet when you cross the road you just step off, nothing is going to kill me.

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

Some totally silly, paranoid comments. Keep them coming. Better some of you just move back home. You'll probably sleep better. When I first came to Asia you couldn't drink BKK tap water, eat raw vegetables anywhere in Asia very risky, ice had to be cubed or forget it. You'd think nothing changed in thirty years. Absolutely laughable the paranoia. Giardia lol Metronidazole can't even be bought in the pharmacy in Thailand anymore. Maybe the absolute middle of nowhere. Villages of bamboo huts. I'm never sick and I mean never. I even drink the water in the national parks I visit without any treatment. A knowledgeable person that knows nothing of the realities lol. Feel the fear - do it anyway. Danger, danger Will Robinson.

agree.

but metronidazole 400mg is available everywhere. Also similar tinidazole 500mg.

There are many others, whatever is available, including herbal traditional mixtures which I prefer to use.

Prophylactic with deworming medicines at least once a year is recommended. There are 5 of them and each works different way and on different parasites

1 hour ago, BonMot said:

Scientific wizard and irony too. So wow.

People travel half way around the world to sleep with dank hoors and risk hiv as well as a dozen different other diseases half of which are incurable and you're panties are in a bunch over a bit of diarrhea.

We seem to be getting mutual amusement, you can spell diarrhea correctly, but don't know the difference between you're and your?

Giardiasis is not a bit of diarrhea, it lasts for 2-6 weeks, and that assumes it is diagnosed correctly. That also assumes the medication prescribed works, standard meds such as imodium won't.

But hey, be my guest. Enjoy your toilet time.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

We seem to be getting mutual amusement, you can spell diarrhea correctly, but don't know the difference between you're and your?

Giardiasis is not a bit of diarrhea, it lasts for 2-6 weeks, and that assumes it is diagnosed correctly. That also assumes the medication prescribed works, standard meds such as imodium won't.

But hey, be my guest. Enjoy your toilet time.

Hello my scientific wizard phriend.

My apologies for troubling your bonnet with the your and you're - it's a pet peeve of mine as well. I assure you I know the difference. It was simply an auto typing error that I didn't catch. I beg your indulgence.

Your is possessive case of you

You're the short form or as Americans state conjunction of you are.

I've had giardia half dozen times in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and carried it into Nepal. You are correct in stating the duration of the diabolical debilitation and on target thinking that imodium cures nothing.. Imodium merely plugs the bowel and stops the diarrhea cold. You won't find much of anything in Thailand to cure giardia because it doesn't exist and that's doubly do in the Big Mango.

Toilet time? Hah. I guess you missed the fact that thirty years in Asia and these serious issues that apparently leave you sleepless do not exist - in SE Asia.. I find your posts laughable. I cannot believe you've been in Asia more than ten years but really just a few.

What great food opportunities you've missed due to your skittishness. What places have you not roamed worried about not being able to lug your water filtration system with you.

You're a retiree not a risk taker. I definitely didn't bump into you on the Karakorum in 96 ????

I beg of you to forgive my transgression of using your instead of you're. Especially as this board is so laden with erudite bards such as yourself. I offer only the humble recognition that I did in fact spell diarrhea correctly.

Giardia in BKK water 555

Edited by BonMot

7 hours ago, BonMot said:

Hello my scientific wizard phriend.

My apologies for troubling your bonnet with the your and you're - it's a pet peeve of mine as well. I assure you I know the difference. It was simply an auto typing error that I didn't catch. I beg your indulgence.

Your is possessive case of you

You're the short form or as Americans state conjunction of you are.

I've had giardia half dozen times in Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and carried it into Nepal. You are correct in stating the duration of the diabolical debilitation and on target thinking that imodium cures nothing.. Imodium merely plugs the bowel and stops the diarrhea cold. You won't find much of anything in Thailand to cure giardia because it doesn't exist and that's doubly do in the Big Mango.

Toilet time? Hah. I guess you missed the fact that thirty years in Asia and these serious issues that apparently leave you sleepless do not exist - in SE Asia.. I find your posts laughable. I cannot believe you've been in Asia more than ten years but really just a few.

What great food opportunities you've missed due to your skittishness. What places have you not roamed worried about not being able to lug your water filtration system with you.

You're a retiree not a risk taker. I definitely didn't bump into you on the Karakorum in 96 ????

I beg of you to forgive my transgression of using your instead of you're. Especially as this board is so laden with erudite bards such as yourself. I offer only the humble recognition that I did in fact spell diarrhea correctly.

Giardia in BKK water 555

Your prolixity is amusing, I'll give you that. Verbal diarrhea.

You're quite right, I am not a risk taker. I've visited South Africa, East Timor, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, America, Canada, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Myanmar, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Spain, France, England and Scotland. Even Luxembourg. I guess I am not up to traveling in s###holes such as  India, Pakistan and Afghanistan. BTW, the spelling is KarakorAm.

I my 50 years of travel, I can honestly say I have never had an event of voiding from either end of my intestinal tract, so I must be doing something right.

Which is, if you care to go back to my first post, boiling any water I drink. No need to lug water filters around with me, hotels usually have kettles. Or bottled water.

I'm sure I've missed out on local delicacies, such as frogs brought up in the house septic outfall.

I bow to your superior experience on the crapper.