Getting Creative with Face Masks

webfact

image.jpeg

Since the start of the COVID-virus outbreak, face masks have become part and parcel of our daily lives. Medical and health experts insist that the simple protocol of wearing a face mask reduces the risk of contracting the disease as well as passing it on to others. And in Thailand, unlike in many other parts of the world, no one had any problem donning a protective face covering from day one.

As days, weeks, and months have rolled on, other variations on the once homogenous-looking medical face mask have come about. According to one citizen, “while face masks help keep us safe, the disposable masks are causing damage to our environment. Aside from that, there are some people who can’t bear wearing a face mask so they explore other alternatives which will offer the same protection. In the process, they have become more creative.”

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Practical options

Indeed, it is no longer strange to see some people now wearing face mask alternatives, such as those old reliable scarves for ladies. “Scarves or bandanas, aside from being more fashion-friendly, can also be a lot less restrictive than the mass-produced face masks and, therefore, more comfortable. Just dig out an old scarf from the back of the wardrobe and wrap it around your face,” suggests Paz Aquino, a senior citizen who admits not being comfortable wearing tight medical face masks.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/getting-creative-with-face-masks/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-05-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Unfortunately the side effect of masks is pollution, everywhere you go you see them littering places up.

Even where I live on my morning walk through the paddies, you see masks discarded along the tracks between fields from the day before. 

Thailand, the hub of throw it away anywhere.

• Like 2

"...people now wearing face mask alternatives, such as those old reliable scarves for ladies..." (reliable in what ways? Jeez)

Ah yes, it's often about appearance rather than efficacy here.

Like the frequent complaints from farangs who claim "masks don't work"... which is partially true if you buy the cheapo POS mask made from toilet paper, as opposed to good N95...

6 hours ago, webfact said:

And in Thailand, unlike in many other parts of the world, no one had any problem donning a protective face covering from day one

A very selective memory indeed.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Whether or not the mask 'mandate' is repealed, I'm going to opt for safety over comfort or fashion. Yes, it's hot & a PITA but catching Omicron is no fun, not does it provide long-lasting immunity.

TAT reports a million foreign arrivals since Jan 1st. In BK, I see an awful lot of them without masks. Frankly, I think it's disrespectful of the rest of us.

Open your eyes, look what happens in other countries. Most have already stopped the stupid mask control. Trains, buses, shipping centers - no masks to be seen. US federal court rules the mask regulations were not legal. Health ministries in some countries already admitted there is no proof masks reduce the risk of getting infected with COVID and the only purpose of the rule was "educational"

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jcmj said:

The way most people wear masks here are useless. No wonder most other countries don’t impose them anymore. Omicron is a freaking flu that kills less than the regular flu. Time to move on and if you’re scared more power to you, but then what is the purpose of the vaccines? You don’t wear them before you get the flu shot. I guess they are afraid of losing control and don’t mind the litter. 

covid dead in usa in two or so years...ONE MILLION...omicron is not just the flu..please stop posting nonsense

CDC estimates that, from 2010- to 2020, flu-related deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 52,000 (during 2017-2018).

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Unfortunately the side effect of masks is pollution, everywhere you go you see them littering places up.

Even where I live on my morning walk through the paddies, you see masks discarded along the tracks between fields from the day before. 

Yes they are the latest litter, we addressed the disposable shopping bags for this to replace them. Perhaps they can be used to pick up dog poo!

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:57 PM, DezLez said:

Says who?

Seems like the OP has been brainwashed!

Ordinary Thais have no access to world class medical care like us; therefore, they have no choice but to play it double safe. Double masking and extra boosters etc......

We get long covid, we are covered by our country's strong social safety net.

Ordinary Thais get long covid, they are covered by the generous merit makers outside the buddhist temples.   

Short skinny men afraid of fist fights; Thais afraid of covid.  Same  Same.

7 hours ago, pomchop said:

covid dead in usa in two or so years...ONE MILLION...omicron is not just the flu..please stop posting nonsense

CDC estimates that, from 2010- to 2020, flu-related deaths in the United States ranged from a low of 12,000 (during 2011-2012) to a high of 52,000 (during 2017-2018).

Citizens of wealthy technologically advanced countries pay no attention to covid

because they can afford it.  

Ordinary Thais get long covid, 

they are covered by the generous merit makers outside the buddhist temples. 

8 hours ago, jcmj said:

The way most people wear masks here are useless. No wonder most other countries don’t impose them anymore. Omicron is a freaking flu that kills less than the regular flu. Time to move on and if you’re scared more power to you, but then what is the purpose of the vaccines? You don’t wear them before you get the flu shot. I guess they are afraid of losing control and don’t mind the litter. 

Citizens of wealthy technologically advanced countries pay no attention to covid

because they can afford it.  

Ordinary Thais get long covid, 

they are covered by the generous merit makers outside the buddhist temples. 

The USA has one million covid deaths because the USA is 

a wealthy technologically advanced country that pay no mind to covid.  

On 5/24/2022 at 9:57 AM, Andycoops said:

Well, anywhere outside your own garden/wall.

Edited by overherebc